Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Grille Mod - Help Finding Mesh (05/06 new pic)

Well, I couldn't find any good mesh in my area so I used what I had on hand. What I would really like though is to find some nice stainless steel mesh. Anyone know of a good supplier? I'll make you a deal, I find a good supplier and I will tell you all what I used on my 08 grille (see pic). I'm sure you'll find it funny, total cost of the job was about $15 bucks and I have 1/2 the material left over.[hihi]

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL, you are 1/2 right, the upper grille is $1.67 rain gutter guard. And thanks for the link, that looks like what I'm looking for. I'm hoping it doesn't look like a "Lincoln" with some nice mesh. Now what about the bottom material, any thoughts?

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All right, I'm going to bed. The bottom material is BBQ screen (made to put your veggies and stuff on while grilling). And I really did buy them for the BBQ (4 for 5$) but some how two of them wound up on the front of my car. Just an experiment, too much time on my hands, to see what it might look like with some mesh. I'm liking it but the center section with the 9$ Auto Zone chrome door trim maybe a bit much. But then, that was mostly to protect my freak'n hands from the sharp edges on that stuff.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I definitely know about the gutter mesh; that's what I've sprayed black and overlaid onto my stock grill, with the oval on top of it all. As to the lower grille, you get to guess what that is. [idea]

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Thanks. Next up is tinting the turn signals.
As to the lower grille, it's plastic eggcrate mesh that's used as diffusers in fluorescent light fixtures. Like the other mesh, it was leftover material from the house, and sprayed with the same black paint. Modding done cheap. [;)]

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have to admit, I'm impressed. That weird gap at the bottom of the upper grill that extends all the way under the head lights always bugged me on the '08 models. You've done the impossible. You've made an '08 front end look good!!! Very nice work.

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oregon-ized - nice job, that looks great! Thanks for the link Mr. Bergner - I'll check 'em out.

And thanks to all for the comments. I post here because I know I'll get honest opinions, really helps me figure out if I'm on the right track or not.

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
So on that grill (where the gap normally is) did you put door trim around it? That's kinda what it looks like, but because the stock grill is chrome, it looks really good actually. I did that on my last car when I made a grill.

OH yeah, speaking of, my last grill was made out of an old satallite I found in a junk yard. It's the kind with round holes instead of diamonds. Make any sense? lol But maybe check a junk yard or something, never know. Plus, junk yards are just fun anyway.

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, the center section (under the Ford Emblem) has chrome door edging around it. But I wasn’t concerned with the gap at the time, I was sick of the sharp edges shredding my fingers. But, I guess it worked out.

I’ll get another pic from further back; hopefully the sun will shine around here long enough to get that.

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Here's that pic from further away.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts