Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happened about two weeks ago. I was having a really bad day. I had maybe slept 3 hours the night before and I had a paper due that I wasn't finished with... even though i was up all night. I also had a project due in statistics which my partner and I were not finished with yet. It was due at 2 that afternoon and we were going to meet at 10 to finish the poster board for our presentation. I ended up over sleeping and was leaving the house at around 10:45. Time was really important that day since my giant speech was due the next day and i still wasn't finished so i really wanted to have gotten up early, gotten to the library and finished that stupid board, and then gotten somewhere else to finish my stupid paper. Instead, over slept, went to get into my car.... oh, my gas light is on.... ok... throw the car in reverse, stop at the end of my driveway to make sure no cars are coming.... something happened, i think i just pulled my arm back some as the car stopped moving in reverse, and what happens.... the shifter rips off in my hand... wires and all. I sat there amazed at how crappy my day was... The stupid thing had been loose, i could twist it very slightly from left to right, nothing major... the night before though it sorta wanted to come off but i pushed it back down and thought i had fixed it. it had also been having problems for a long time where i'd go to put it in park and turn the car off but i couldn't turn it off and take the key out because the outer cylinder thing kept falling slightly. So i'd pull it back up and then i could turn the car off and get out. So now, i have my gear shifter in my hand.... i'm late for my little meeting and am steadily losing time for the rest of my stuff i need to do, I'm about to run out of gas, and i can turn the car off but i cannot take the key out of the ignition... i can do drive and neutral... that's it! I also notice that not only has the shifter come off but it will not go back on and the long black thing in it that changes gears has broken into 3 pieces! I thought to myself, my mom is never gonna believe this, and since her office is only across the street... sort of, more like across and two streets over, farther than it sounds, i decided to get it over there... i couldn't turn off the car anyway and didn't know what to do. I tried to put the car in neutral and push it into the street, it was only about 5 feet, but it was too slanted... so i turned around in my yard. I get to my mom's office, really upset, i'm like, you're not gonna believe this. I show her, we end up arguing about something to do with school briefly and as I get my stuff out of the trunk to go to school in her car I close the doors and and trunk without thinking and lock myself out of the car. So now the battery is gonna die.... Long story short, i left, mechanic we know came and got it and it costs 40 dollars to fix. He said the screw came loose. That's a lot of crap for the screw. I've said this before and I'll say it again... My mazda 3 that i never got would never have done this. I love my little car but why must it betray me? Now pictures....

there ya go.

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,625 Posts
I think there have been a few people selling the auto shifters. I would post up in the want to buy adds. Also check ebay. I thought I had problems when my cruise control cable snapped.

·
暗炎
1,925 Posts
I'm assuming if it happened two weeks ago you've got it fixed.
If you don't, I have an extra plastic thing from inside the automatic shifter.
I'll mail it to you if you pm me your address.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
When I switch my auto to a Momo shifter, my stock piece snapped. It was in a spot that couldn't be glued back together. I took a small piece with me to a craft store and bought a wooden dowel that was the same thickness. I bought the one that matched the thickest part of the rod/shaft, whatever you wanna call it. It's been over 2 yrs. and it worked out just fine.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea, it's fixed.... but that is a really cheap.... pathetic assembly.... it's an 06... there's no excuse for this. Unless anyone thinks that my expectations are too high for a $20,000.00 vehicle?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
^^ x2 :D. Damn that's a lot of junk :)

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^^^
^^^^

ROFL You are both right!!!!! I better get to cleaning ASAP!

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,787 Posts
Maybe Its just pissed cause he didn't get it a baconator lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts