Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so i was changing my oil and i was using ramps instead of a jack (for once) and i figured since it's safer than a jack i'd take a look around to see if everything looked as it should. when out of the corner of my eye, i see this....

so i was like.. "HUH! that's not right" so i checked the other side to see what was going on over there... same thing

it must have popped of a long time ago (maybe even before i bought the car!?) because i can never think of a time that the steering and roll of the car changed dramaticly (except for when i got my wheels)

soooo how did that happen? and how do it fix it!? i tried to just push them back into the cups but they just popped back out. so i'm faily confident that's not how i fix the problem. lol

i'm a tard when it comes to suspension, i haven't gotten into it much yet so i don't know much about it.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
you will have to buy new sway bar end links for the front they wear out and I believe though don't quote me on it but I think that is a problem w/ the Focus is that the links wear prematurly. I swear I read it when I first joined this site. Check out the search button for more help I'm sure this is not the first time its happened to someone.[wrenchin]

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
your exactly correct!

i cant' replace the "bushings" because there are none, i have to get new end links.. stupid rubber crap. i'm going to get some poly one's from F2

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
The new ones from Ford are upgraded, much better made than the originals. New part number from Ford is YS4Z-5K484-AA

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,105 Posts
damn Jaimz, your car is falling apart. Better change the suspension while you can [thumb]

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
My friends zx3 just broke an endlink on the front sway and apparently (according to the dealership) it is a known issue. They wanted something like 3-hun to order OEM replacements and install?!!

You are on the right track paying 100 or less and spending the 45min to do it yourself.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Fortunately they are easy to fix. This is something you don't want to take to a shop to do because you'll get raped. Just make sure that you are very careful when you torque those links down because they can shear easily.

How many miles do you have on your suspension? I'd replace it if you're nearing 60k miles. I'd recommend buying the SVT upgrade from a ford dealer, as when I priced out shocks and struts the entire SVT kit was only $20 or so more expensive than over the counter OE replacements.

You can get those links for around $15 a piece from the auto store. I've seen metal ones that look a lot more solid, but they are $50 each (if i remember correctly). Too much $$$$ imho.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
The endlinks off of newedge are $155.00 before shipping. I don't think you'll see any real performance gains off of them vs. the oem ones or the ones you buy from autozone. Those are awful pricey for endlinks, adjustable or not.

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the endlinks are $26 each at a ford dealership, i'm just going to get those for now until i do up my suspension with poly bushings and stuff, then i'll order some from f2

hell i'm starting to think that i've never driven my car with a front sway bar! (even durring the auto-x at jetfest) i bet it's going to be even nicer and tighter!

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
btw, black and tan my car is pushing 140,000 i do the upkeep more than i should too (like oil changes at 2000 miles using a full synthetic oil) lol my car is in better shape than some 04's with 20,000 miles. there's no need to replace my suspension. it's perfect, with exception of my busted front sway bar links.

and also so you guys know. i ALWAYS do my own work on my car. and yes... i have a torque wrench.. a nice nice one that cost $250

[thumb]

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Retail from Ford is only $18.57

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
at the stealership i called it was $26! wtf mate!

i want to get it today!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts