Focus Fanatics Forum banner

101 - 120 of 3866 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Hi, I have MFT without navigation. I didn't think it was worth the $800 for what sounds like factory activation and an SD card loaded with maps. Has there been any word on the possibility of adding navigation (with maps) to current MFT models without nav? Otherwsie, do you think Applink will be promising and offer a navigation app?
For the first no, it is not as simple as buying an SD card and getting an activation. For the second, I don't think any of us really know if and/or what is coming to the 2012s as far as Applink but I can't imagine they would support a nav app as it would cut into the sales of their $800 option.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone

I one of those (Soon to be Focus) owners that is awaiting My Ford Touch to come to Europe (UK). I've heard that it will be summer 2012.

A few questions:

Is this date correct?
Is My Ford Touch waiting for?
How much will it be? i.e. I believe it is an extra cost item in the US (several hundred dollers)

Thank you

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hi, I have MFT without navigation. I didn't think it was worth the $800 for what sounds like factory activation and an SD card loaded with maps. Has there been any word on the possibility of adding navigation (with maps) to current MFT models without nav? Otherwsie, do you think Applink will be promising and offer a navigation app?
MFT with Navigation is more than a SC card which stores the $200 map database. MFT with Nav includes the GPSM Module which is a separate module from the APIM.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Speaking of Navigation, how do I raise the volume for the navigation's upcoming direction voice? Even though the navigation voice lowers the volume of my iPod before speaking, I can barely hear it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I might as well post my list of issues. This list is from Nov 8, and is only a partial list. I've given up on tracking ALL the MFT issues. There are too many to count. This is from a spreadsheet I originally sent to Ford.

Bluetooth music streaming stops working
Stops and when attemping to select, it eventually shows a Disconnected dialog. Master reset fixes the problem. Repairing the phone does not

Bluetooth audio 'unavailable'
Dialog pops up 'No bluetooth audio device detected. Would you like to add a device?

"This USB device is not supported. Please remove"
See this message periodically when Creative Zen X-Fi MP3 player (in MSC mode) or 16GB Transcend USB Thumb drive plugged in. Does not appear to affect anything. Able to index and play music from the devices

USB music is shown as playing, but no sound
Seen with Creative Zen X-Fi (MSC mode). Dealer confirmed issue, could not resolve. See song titles, but and progress bar moves, but no sound output. Believe this went away after I did a master reset myself

Album art displays as half the generic graphic or no display at all
Seen with 16GB Trascend thumb drive. Same exact device and songs previously showed album art.

USB has 10 second pause between tracks
After reaching the end of the track, the track timer stops and the unit does nothing for 10 seconds, and then plays the next song. This delay seems to have started when the album art problem started

Steering wheel command button does not respond during 10s pause in above issue
Does not respond at all, even after the unit unfreezes. Need to press again.

Steering wheel command button does not ever respond maybe 5% of the time
Steering wheel command button can take many seconds to respond. Haven't bothered to time it yet. My limit is 10-20s before I press it again

Navigation POI match list is blank
Navigation / Destination / POI match list is blank, but expects me to enter a line number. Photo and video available

Navigation screen back button does not work
Back button cycles through nav address input screens, but will never back up all the way. Video available.

"Navigation System Unavailable"
After starting car, shows this message. Never recovers. Photo available.

Navigation system faulted
Shows message indicating that navigation is faulted and to contact my dealer.

"Navigation is not functioning properly. Please contact your dealer for service."
Photo available.

Navigation system goes crazy
See a GPS icon with a red X through it on the map screen. Location is incorrect. Navigation system faulted message pops up every few seconds. Screen alternates brightness and day/night mode every few seconds.

Navigation shows incorrect location
See location off the street I am on, and generally unstable. Looking at GPS on my phone at the exact same time, the phone has no problem finding my location

Where am I? command does not know the street
Seems to be related to the problems with location above. However, I have seen an instance where the map display shows the street name and Where am I? says I'm not on a street.

MFT crashes when starting car and bluetooth music streaming resumes
Happens periodically. Definitely seems tied to trying to auto-resume bluetooth music streaming (which it does for a short time until the crash)

After a crash or reset, MFT tunes to the wrong station
If I'm tuned to FM 107.9 HD1 (which is also a preset), MFT switches the station to FM 107.9 HD2, which I do not have as a preset and which I cannot turn off until the reboot finishes.

Next track while playing from USB starts bluetooth music streaming
Was going through a playlist on my USB device and when I hit the seek next button on the steering wheel, it started playing bluetooth audio.

Next track in shuffle mode after going through all tracks leads to a blank screen
Expect it to cycle through to the start, even though repeat is off, like any other audio player.

Bluetooth indexing option is enabled, but does nothing
I expect this requires an implementation of Bluetooh AVRCP 1.4 for remote directory listing, which my phone does not have. However, this option should not be enabled, or should at least give an error if it cannot index a phone. Instead, you push it and it does nothing, and gives no indication. Support denied it existed or would work initially, and then a supervisor told me that engineering does not test this feature. Could not offer any evidence that this function is even implemented in the MFT software.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Got my car last Saturday, popped the Navigation SDCard, says Navigation system initialized and turn by turn navigation is now enabled. A couple of seconds later it says, "Navigation system faulted" and of course "Navigation unavailable" afterwards. Then I realized that the parking sensors didn't work when I put the car on Reverse and the sensors don't pop out. You could just imagine the frustration I felt on having a brand new car with 15 kms on it and have it seemingly broken from the get go.

After a couple of hours of [rant][gunfire][mad], outright rage and blood rushing to my head like it was about to explode; I calmed down and figured that I should actually do some basic troubleshooting. I tried a couple of Master Reboots, still the same annoying message and the MFT actually locked up at one point. More [rant][mad][rant], fist thumping and bitching so I just slept it off before I have a stroke.

After a few hours of sleep, I went through the forums again.. calmly this time and read about resetting the Navigation/GPS systems by disconnecting power to them momentarily. So I removed fuse #67 (GPS, Driver display) and #79 (Navigation etc) put them back, started the car and low and behold everything now works, navigation and parking sensors.

I immediately started feeling that sense of relief and actually started appreciating the car. [race]

I only hope no one else has to go through the same thing, but from the looks of it I won't be the last.

·
Registered
80 Posts
has anyone used the Sirius "alerts" function where you can tag songs/artists you like? it's f'ing magic. an alert pops up when they're playing on another station and you can switch right over. <--never had sirius maybe other people will not think it's as useful as i do.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hopefully this will help some folks out there. The first time I tried this, it didn't work, but it was just because I am too impatient.

If your MFT is in a bad state (which for me is every few days, if I'm lucky), you can reboot it without a fuse pull or master reset, etc. There was a sirius update patch posted on the Sync Users Forums a while back and then someone hacked it up to only do a reboot.

You can download DelayedReboot.cab here:
http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/8278-forcing-a-reboot/

To get this to work:
1. Download files onto USB thumb drive
2. Turn on the car and wait for MFT to load. I waited until nav loaded and it responded to my touch in less than 30 seconds to be safe.
3. Insert USB drive. The software load screen should show up automatically. You might have to manually press the install app button. I did it twice and the behavior was inconsistent.
4. Once it says Install Complete, hit OK.
5. Turn off vehicle, open and close door
6. Wait 1 minute for the touchscreen to turn off. I waited until it went black and then I got a random blip like 20 seconds later.
7. Turn the car back on. You should see MFT performing scheduled maintenance.
8. If it didn't reboot, you probably didn't wait long enough in step 6.

There is an immediate reboot version of this, but it is VIN-locked and Ford denies it exists. If anyone has the 2.11 update files they could send me, I'd be interested in looking at them to see we can extract a reboot routine out of it...

UPDATE:
I decided to kill some time looking at this installer. I took DelayedReboot.cab and pulled the executable out of it to take a look. Unfortunately, Windows Automotive doesn't seem to have great documentation on it, so I didn't get too far. However, I found that the executable is unfortunately digitally signed. I removed the authenticode signature, repackaged the cab (I can't believe how unnecessarily difficult that was) and put it back on the USB stick. Went out to my car and when I plugged it in I got an error saying the file was invalid or unsigned. So, that means we can't run our own arbitrary code on the MFT without having the private signing certificate :(

But, the amusing part of all this is that it is signed by 'Microsoft Test Software Publish Certificate' of organization 'ABU' (Automotive Business Unit?). So, my guess is that this certificate comes with the development environment, no one bothered to change it. If someone had access to the windows automotive 5.5 platform builder, I'd be willing to bet it comes with this cert in it. It's not freely available online, though, and I'm not even sure exactly what it's called...

Remind me to never to outsource firmware development to Bsquare btw...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hopefully this will help some folks out there. The first time I tried this, it didn't work, but it was just because I am too impatient.

If your MFT is in a bad state (which for me is every few days, if I'm lucky), you can reboot it without a fuse pull or master reset, etc. There was a sirius update patch posted on the Sync Users Forums a while back and then someone hacked it up to only do a reboot.

You can download DelayedReboot.cab here:
http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/8278-forcing-a-reboot/

To get this to work:
1. Download files onto USB thumb drive
2. Turn on the car and wait for MFT to load. I waited until nav loaded and it responded to my touch in less than 30 seconds to be safe.
3. Insert USB drive. The software load screen should show up automatically. You might have to manually press the install app button. I did it twice and the behavior was inconsistent.
4. Once it says Install Complete, hit OK.
5. Turn off vehicle, open and close door
6. Wait 1 minute for the touchscreen to turn off. I waited until it went black and then I got a random blip like 20 seconds later.
7. Turn the car back on. You should see MFT performing scheduled maintenance.
8. If it didn't reboot, you probably didn't wait long enough in step 6.

There is an immediate reboot version of this, but it is VIN-locked and Ford denies it exists. If anyone has the 2.11 update files they could send me, I'd be interested in looking at them to see we can extract a reboot routine out of it...

UPDATE:
I decided to kill some time looking at this installer. I took DelayedReboot.cab and pulled the executable out of it to take a look. Unfortunately, Windows Automotive doesn't seem to have great documentation on it, so I didn't get too far. However, I found that the executable is unfortunately digitally signed. I removed the authenticode signature, repackaged the cab (I can't believe how unnecessarily difficult that was) and put it back on the USB stick. Went out to my car and when I plugged it in I got an error saying the file was invalid or unsigned. So, that means we can't run our own arbitrary code on the MFT without having the private signing certificate :(

But, the amusing part of all this is that it is signed by 'Microsoft Test Software Publish Certificate' of organization 'ABU' (Automotive Business Unit?). So, my guess is that this certificate comes with the development environment, no one bothered to change it. If someone had access to the windows automotive 5.5 platform builder, I'd be willing to bet it comes with this cert in it. It's not freely available online, though, and I'm not even sure exactly what it's called...

Remind me to never to outsource firmware development to Bsquare btw...
While what you are saying may be true, I'd be more inclined to think that the dev kit comes with a CA certificate which allows you to create your own unique certificates.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hooked up my Galaxy Nexus over Bluetooth and it streams good quality music (driven by the phone's music app) just great.

MFT did have a little hissy fit in the Frys car park, when it took some time detecting the phone. I hit cancel, it instantly said it had detected the phone, then went into "scheduled maintenance" (aka Windows oopsied) mode. Haven't run into that since, seems to pair automatically when I get in the car.

·
Registered
155 Posts
While what you are saying may be true, I'd be more inclined to think that the dev kit comes with a CA certificate which allows you to create your own unique certificates.
In which case the cert would have the information you filled in, rather than 'Microsoft Test Software Publish Certificate'. That's not the CA, that's the actual signature on the executable.

·
Registered
112 Posts
In which case the cert would have the information you filled in, rather than 'Microsoft Test Software Publish Certificate'. That's not the CA, that's the actual signature on the executable.
I understand that the certificate that the executable is signed by is not a CA itself but also consider that 'Microsoft Test Software Publish Certificate' may just be some default value that is auto populated when a certificate is generated or maybe they cheaped out are using a self signed certificate of some sort. Google seems to suggest that a "Test Software Publisher Certificate" is just a way to test signing cabs.

Or the SDK comes with a generic certificate like you suggest and tests the very same thing but in a MUCH less secure way. Hah.

And you are also right that this question is answered when someone gets a hold of the SDK for whatever platform myford touch runs on.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hooked up my Galaxy Nexus over Bluetooth and it streams good quality music (driven by the phone's music app) just great.

MFT did have a little hissy fit in the Frys car park, when it took some time detecting the phone. I hit cancel, it instantly said it had detected the phone, then went into "scheduled maintenance" (aka Windows oopsied) mode. Haven't run into that since, seems to pair automatically when I get in the car.
I like how you mention Fry's like everyone should know what you are talking. I love going there. I was so bummed to know a place like Fry's existed and I had no idea before I moved to Austin. People from out of town are always so amazed by that place.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I like how you mention Fry's like everyone should know what you are talking. I love going there. I was so bummed to know a place like Fry's existed and I had no idea before I moved to Austin. People from out of town are always so amazed by that place.
I think I've seen your car. [:D]

Found someone's yellow HB 2012 Focus when I went up there a while ago. No space to park next to it, sadly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had my 2012 Titanium for 60 days today and of course have had some issues with the MFT. The latest and greatest being that my audio only has 2 volumes right now...max volume or minimum volume. If i push the vulme button up once on the steering wheel it goes to max...if i hit it down once it goes to min. If i try to use the knob on the dash it turns up then goes right back down.

The day before I has the time lock issue where the time didn't update when i turned the car on and a couple of times i've had issues with it recognizing my phone. Once it wouldn't come on at all then when it did, it went through a system update.

I'm mostly annoyed with the radio issue right now...can't get into the dealer until Friday...my bf just gave me the master reset instructions...guess i will try that for now as i really miss my radio.

101 - 120 of 3866 Posts