Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from 2thoufocuszx3

When I start my focus up in the mornings, and try to backup the brakes are hard to push down on at first and even when you put it in drive the brakes are hard to push down on and stop. When I stop and turn on the AC the car almost wants to shut-off but doesn't and there is no acceleration at all even without the AC on. I have to gradually press on the gas and then it picks up and go. When I'm on the freeway it runs fine on straightways and when I start up hills I have to mash on the pedal to get more power.

Have someone on this thread ever encountered this problem before.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Large vacuum leak.
Find where the hissing is coming from and fix it ...

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Power brake booster failure or massive vacuum leak. The PBB can cause a massive vacuum leak itself when it fails if it's rusted through.

Locate your PBB vacuum line- it's the big hose that goes to the booster. First start the engine and listen around that hose for hissing that would indicate a vacuum leak. Feel the hose to see if it has collapsed under the vacuum. Replace if you find either problem. In some cases, the PBB itself can be the source of the vacuum leak. I've seen those rust out and separate. These aren't easy to change, so double check what's going on before you start planning on replacing the PBB.

If for some strange reason you're not finding a vacuum leak or a collapsed hose, then replace the "check valve" which is the plastic 90 degree connector where the hose attaches to the PBB. Those are a common part for all vehicles- no engine/model needed- and should be on the shelf in the vacuum fitting/PCV area.

Finally it is possible that the PBB broke internally. That would cause all those problems. This would be the most rare case. I seriously doubt that's it because you're having engine running problems that are related to a vacuum leak, so it's most likely your problem is a bad PBB that's leaking vacuum, or a hose that's leaking vacuum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey sir have a quick question, What happens when your battery goes bad and your car has been sitting for about a week and a half and doesn't start or turn over after you replace the battery with a new one?

I tried to jump the new battery but no results. I first connected the battery something started draining battery right away. when I tried to start my focus up all I got was click-click-click and clack-clack-clack and nothing else.

What could be the problem now?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
MOST likely is a poor connection.

Did you clean the terminals you connected to the new battery?

If so, remove clean & reinstall the OTHER end of the large cables from the battery.

Power isn't getting where it's needed, & a poor connection is the most likely cause...

A "junk" new battery isn't very common....

You MAY have starter issues, but MOST of those are actually related to poor connections...

Luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts