Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I went to a different Ford dealer and they said because my car didnt throw any 14M01 or 14M02 specific DTC codes, they won't do the work. This is craziness. I've done all the proper maintence on my vehicle myself. I feel like that I'm being told that its normal for a ford transmission to act like this after 130,000 miles. All of the sudden stop working correctly and just as quickly start working correctly again. How do I get a hold of an appropriate person a corporate to discuss this. I never had a vehicle with transmission issues. Aren't transmission the last to go on a car if taken care of properly?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
My TCM was replaced under 14M02. What I experienced was immediate total loss of power then the engine shut down (no warning whatsoever) and would not restart. I had to have it towed to the dealer. The only possible telltale sign was that I was experiencing a slight delay between turning the key and the car starting. This went on for months but it would always start and run normally. After the TCM was replaced (and no other parts were replaced), that behavior went away so I'm assuming it was related.
I actually experienced the delayed engine starting numerous times. You turn the key and maybe 3 seconds later the engine would start.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I called Ford and the woman I spoke with said to bring it in and have the dealer diagnose the vehicle. She said I have to pay for the diagnostic check and that fee would only be waived if it's determined that it's the TCM.

Now.... The car isnt experiencing the issue anymore. How are they going to diagnose the car if the car isn't exhibiting the issue anymore? I don't want to pay around 300 dollars for nothing.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I never had a vehicle with transmission issues. Aren't transmission the last to go on a car if taken care of properly?
No, it varies. I've never had trans issues, but I remember Chrysler, Ford and Honda having issues in the past where a good number of transmissions in certain years/models were failing well under 100K miles.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I never had a vehicle with transmission issues. Aren't transmission the last to go on a car if taken care of properly?
No, it varies. I've never had trans issues, but I remember Chrysler, Ford and Honda having issues in the past where a good number of transmissions in certain years/models were failing well under 100K miles.
I think I'm just gonna sell the car cheap. I don't know what to do. The last time this happened it happened a while ago. I don't know whether to sell it cheap or just keep driving it without having it looked at. I dont want to pay to have them diagnose the transmission. My car has symptoms of electronic transmission issues, they should diagnose it on their own. When my newly acquired used Tacoma starting making drivetrain noises, I found out there was an extended warranty on the drivetrain. Because my drivetrain was making noises, the dealer took it right in to diagnose and they immediately fixed the problem. I got a loaner care for the day and everything. I didn't have to pay anything. I find it extremely weird that my original headlights and original v-belts lasted longer than the transmission. Absolutely craziness.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I think I'm just gonna sell the car cheap.
I'd probably do the same if I had a DCT Focus. Sucks, bc otherwise these are good cars.
Yea I like the car. I just dont like the fact that they sold me the car with a POS transmission etc and don't want to make it right with burdening me. I'm still hardpressed to believe its the actual transmission that broken. I drove this car like a grandpa and always changed the fluids. To hard believe with all that the tranny is fried. Whatever.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Yea I like the car. I just dont like the fact that they sold me the car with a POS transmission etc and don't want to make it right with burdening me. I'm still hardpressed to believe its the actual transmission that broken. I drove this car like a grandpa and always changed the fluids. To hard believe with all that the tranny is fried. Whatever.
If it is the TCM and based on what you described, I'm almost certain it is, this is not a maintenace part. It is an electronic transmission control device so there is really nothing you could do to help or harm it by maintaining the vehicle or driving it differently. Yes, there's a small chance that it is something else and you will have to pay for diagnostics and it seems like they are trying to scare you into not having it evaluated to avoid the warranty work but you will just need to decide for yourself if you want to take that risk. You've done your homework to do your best to find the source of the problem so there's no wrong answer.

As it is now, you have a vehicle that is not very drivable as it is not reliable. If it were me, I would bite the bullet and take it in.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
If it is the TCM and based on what you described, I'm almost certain it is, this is not a maintenace part. It is an electronic transmission control device so there is really nothing you could do to help or harm it by maintaining the vehicle or driving it differently. Yes, there's a small chance that it is something else and you will have to pay for diagnostics and it seems like they are trying to scare you into not having it evaluated to avoid the warranty work but you will just need to decide for yourself if you want to take that risk. You've done your homework to do your best to find the source of the problem so there's no wrong answer.

As it is now, you have a vehicle that is not very drivable as it is not reliable. If it were me, I would bite the bullet and take it in.
I just have trouble trusting people. Like you said, it sounds like they dont want to do the warranty work. Whats stopping them from lying and saying its not the TCM or they can't find anything wrong at that particular time?. Ahhh. I'll probably end up bringing it in.... Damn.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
They won't do warranty work if there's no code in the system. This is how it works at a dealership. The only way they will do the warranty work without really a code is when the car is still under the regular 3 year warranty.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
They won't do warranty work if there's no code in the system. This is how it works at a dealership. The only way they will do the warranty work without really a code is when the car is still under the regular 3 year warranty.
So if brought it in and paid the 300.... Id probably be [email protected]&€ out of luck. I'll keep driving it to see what happens. Or maybe I'll just sell it. I dont know. Thanks Ford.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Not sure if the old codes thrown are saved but you had mentioned getting a P0850. If they aren't saved, watch for that to come up again and might want to keep an eye on what happens with this thread.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Not sure if the old codes thrown are saved but you had mentioned getting a P0850. If they aren't saved, watch for that to come up again and might want to keep an eye on what happens with this thread.
Holy cow that is exactly what my car is doing! I will most definitely watch that thread to see what happens. Thanks so much!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts