Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I drive a 2012 Focus Titanium hatchback.

This might not actually ne the first time this happened. It might of happened before but not as bad as this. I was driving to work and all of the sudden it was like the transmission was shifting wrong. I'd apply a little gas and it woupd down shift and then then at some point shift up again. If I applied even more gas it would down shift again and then upshift shortly after. When I came to a red light and gave it some gas to would start moving like it was in second gear not first. Whats up with that?

I remember a while ago it did something like this at a red light light where I would go to accelerate and it would all of the sudden feel like it suddenly stop accelerating almost like I tapped the brakes or something. My body was expecting to experience acceleration but didnt kind of thing....

Anyone have an idea? I know focus have transmission issues. Ia this something people were complaining about?

I'm wondering if it was more of a computer thing than a transmisson thing. Maybe when I get out of work and start the car the computer will reset and remember how to shift properly? Lol.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Sounds more like a possible TCM issue. I would take it to the dealer and have them perform the 14M02 work which is the extended warranty for the TCM. I've had to replace mine but in that case the car just shut off mid-commute and wouldn't start back up again.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I definitely think it's a computer related issue. It was doing it after work on my drive home. I felt like the car was being throttled down and the car was shifting real slow. I had to pullover because my car wouldnt accelerate while I was in traffic. I thought i wasnt going to make it home. I turned my car off and then on again and it was still doing it but as long as I accelerated real slow it seemed to shift ok and I was able to get home. When I got home i swear to god it stopped doing it. Also, when it was doing that I couldnt use sport mode. I could shift into sport mode but the S on the dashboard wouldnt light up. I couldn't shift the gears with the button. The engine light came on too but I havent had thw time yet to pull the code.

This definitely happened to me before while driving down a highway. All of the sudden the car started doing that and once I got home it stopped, just like this time. The first time it happened I learned that I was driving in sport mode down the highway. I must of put it in that mode by accident. I thought that was the reason why it happened, because it felt like the car was being throttled down kind of like a limiter. This time I was in drive. I don't know. Also, my street is a pretty big slope. I wonder if that has anything to do with why it stops when I get home. Front of the car facing up the slope.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I definitely think it's a computer related issue. It was doing it after work on my drive home. I felt like the car was being throttled down and the car was shifting real slow. I had to pullover because my car wouldnt accelerate while I was in traffic. I thought i wasnt going to make it home. I turned my car off and then on again and it was still doing it but as long as I accelerated real slow it seemed to shift ok and I was able to get home. When I got home i swear to god it stopped doing it. Also, when it was doing that I couldnt use sport mode. I could shift into sport mode but the S on the dashboard wouldnt light up. I couldn't shift the gears with the button. The engine light came on too but I havent had thw time yet to pull the code.

This definitely happened to me before while driving down a highway. All of the sudden the car started doing that and once I got home it stopped, just like this time. The first time it happened I learned that I was driving in sport mode down the highway. I must of put it in that mode by accident. I thought that was the reason why it happened, because it felt like the car was being throttled down kind of like a limiter. This time I was in drive. I don't know. Also, my street is a pretty big slope. I wonder if that has anything to do with why it stops when I get home. Front of the car facing up the slope.
If you can do it safely, drive it to your Ford dealer as soon as you can. Otherwise, you're probably going to need a tow if it continues to get worse. If it is still under the warranty period for the 14M02 work (150K miles, 10 years), it won't cost you anything. See THIS.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it stopped doing it as soon as I got home. I don't know if it will do it for them tomorrow, but I'm still going to bring it to them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got a DTC of 0850_62. I went to the dealer by me.... I'm not bring it to them. I had the distinct feeling they were going to screw me over. They wanted 300 just to look at it. If it is the TCM... How hard of a job is it to replace it? I could do it my damn self if it's not that bad.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I got a DTC of 0850_62. I went to the dealer by me.... I'm not bring it to them. I had the distinct feeling they were going to screw me over. They wanted 300 just to look at it. If it is the TCM... How hard of a job is it to replace it? I could do it my damn self if it's not that bad.
Take it to another dealer and when they ask what you want done, say "14M02 warranty work". Do not authorize them to do anything else and they cannot charge you. The diagnostics is included in the 14M02 work. If a dealer is trying to screw you by saying you need to pay for it, go elsewhere.

If that doesn't work, then you can investigate what it takes to put in a TCM on your own but if you have to go that route, you are still going to be into it for the cost of the part and even once you have it in, you will have to program it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok. I will do that. Yea this place looked like a S$#%hole. Smelled like cigarette smoke inside and they managers were arguing with the receptionist about talking to me about the car. I overheard her talking ti them. I immediately knew it wasn't going to happen in this place. Trying to tell me that it could be the transmisson, we dont know. Its 300 to look at the car.... It could be simple it could be expensive... If you decide to take the car your still responsible to pay the 300.... Your best luck is to bring it in next week, we're real busy at the moment. I'm like yea..... I'm a think about this one real hard and then decide what to do. Real grimy place.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2014 Focus se with the automatic transmission, I haven’t had any major issues with the transmission other than the usually suspects that we all know about (it’s a poor transmission to begin with). Do you think it would be a good idea to go to the dealer and ask for the 14MO2 Warranty Work just to diagnose, check, update or even replace the TCM??
Thanks!

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have a 2014 Focus se with the automatic transmission, I haven’t had any major issues with the transmission other than the usually suspects that we all know about (it’s a poor transmission to begin with). Do you think it would be a good idea to go to the dealer and ask for the 14MO2 Warranty Work just to diagnose, check, update or even replace the TCM??
Thanks!
If it is still under warranty for 14M01 and 14M02 and you have any shifting issues whatsoever, then yes, definitely take it in to be diagnosed. Check before you make an appointment for any work to be sure that you qualify for the extended warranties for each of these (they are different in terms of mileage, years and model years covered). This work and required parts are very expensive to do on your own dime.

·
Registered
185 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
14M01 - covers clutchpack, seals, and tcm cailbration - 100k miles or 7 years - NHTSA 14M01

14M02 - covers tcm to address loss of transmission engagement while driving, no start, or lack of power - 150k miles or 10 yrs - NHTSA 14M02

P0850 – Park/neutral position (PNP) switch -input circuit malfunction

got a feeling to diagnose and fix this code, will not be covered under any warranty.....
Here's a guy who had the P0850 DTC with similar symptoms and the fix was to replace the TCM so 14M02 is a good possibility.
Sometimes you have to take the DTC descriptions with a grain of salt as the fault mentioned may not be indicative of the underlying cause.

·
Registered
185 Posts
agreed, but then again im behind a screen not the wheel lol, i was taking it at face value with the info provided

lack of power and loss of engagement would be covered under 14M02

from what i could gather the P0850 could be an intermittent issue (since the CEL was stated to show once he got home) with the switch itself which should disable cruise and not allow the car to start if shut off, but also not allow the car into sport but that could be tcm related

·
Registered
499 Posts
My TCM was replaced under 14M02. What I experienced was immediate total loss of power then the engine shut down (no warning whatsoever) and would not restart. I had to have it towed to the dealer. The only possible telltale sign was that I was experiencing a slight delay between turning the key and the car starting. This went on for months but it would always start and run normally. After the TCM was replaced (and no other parts were replaced), that behavior went away so I'm assuming it was related.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I called another Ford dealer and spoke to woman about this issue.... Holy he'll she was so condescending!!! She was talking to me like I was child! Halfway through reading her the VIN number I just friggin hung the phone up on her!!! What the he'll is up with these ford dealers!!!! I'm so pissed! I'm probably going to wait till I calm down and just drive down there to see this woman face to face. Or maybe I'll try and find another dealer.... I dont feel like dealing with this shit.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I called another Ford dealer and spoke to woman about this issue.... Holy he'll she was so condescending!!! She was talking to me like I was child! Halfway through reading her the VIN number I just friggin hung the phone up on her!!! What the he'll is up with these ford dealers!!!! I'm so pissed! I'm probably going to wait till I calm down and just drive down there to see this woman face to face. Or maybe I'll try and find another dealer.... I dont feel like dealing with this shit.
I understand your frustration but it will be better if you calm down a bit, regroup and then go talk to them face to face. Some amount of emotion is good but it is best to be firm while remaining calm. Before you go, print the 14M02 document, read it so you know what is in it and why you qualify for the service. Explain that the behavior you are having is consistent with known TCM issues that you want to have addressed under this extended warranty service that was established for this very problem. If they disagree, ask for their explanation in writing so you can take it to Ford corporate for their opinion. No need to yell at them, just explain your side calmly and follow through with Ford if that's what it takes. No need to bounce from dealer to dealer before taking it up a level.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts