Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I’m wondering if anyone has any ideas why my 2004 manual Focus engine won’t turn over. It overheated while parked for an hour. This was 2 hours after a 3 hour drive and everything seemed fine during the trip. We put coolant in it and waited for it to cool & then it proceeded not to start. When we checked on it a week later there was coolant leaking out onto the street. We’ve checked all the fuses and brake and clutch switch. Not sure what to check next, also wondering if it could be completely unrelated?

·
Registered
16,544 Posts
Depends on how hot and for how long it went overheated. Coolant leaking into street may be a blown head gasket. If you mean engine will not turn by starter at all you may have hydrolocked it to tear engine up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You need to stop what you're doing an check your water pump. Could be a thermostat but since it won't start it could be the pump. Had the same thing happen in a Toyota Yaris with nearly 150,000 miles on it. Over heated and would not start. Changed water pump and serpentine belt and has been running great ever since.

·
Registered
6 Posts
See if you can spot the leak. Make sure the coolant reservoir is full and check all your hoses for leaks. Hopefully that's where it escaped out, not the head gasket. I would take the plugs out and try cranking to see if it will turn over. That way if your head gasket is leaking into a cylinder you can find out without hydrolocking your engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not really enough information- however some good tips in the chain. leaking coolant may or may not mean blown head gasket. Coolant leak could be from head gasket, craked resevoir, cracked thermostat housing or split hose- any one of these would lead to loss of coolant and resulting overheating.
Not starting could be a bad electrical connection or dead battery. Does it make any noise when you try to start it? Easy check for a dead battery or bad connection it to turn the key to ON, turn on headlights and try to honk the horn. If the horn honks normal chances are the battery and connections are good.
If it makes a noise like it is trying to start but not turning over, pull the plugs and try again- a water fountain under the hood means head gasket is blown.
If still not turning over and no noise, start looking for an electrical problem. My 2002 ZX5 has multiple power and ground connection to the battery- had one corroded connection out of 3 and was stranded until I figured that out.

·
Registered
16,544 Posts
The problem is that if the engine is hydrolocked you do NOT want to start it, it immediately causes further damage and may already have bent or cracked a rod. You must yank plugs and spin it then to get all water out of cylinder.

If you hydrolock good enough the starter will bend or break a rod with only a couple of revolutions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts