Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stuck the ST 'air velocity stack' into the place where the 'snorkle delete' part came off.. tonight.
NOW.. Whoo Hoo my car is able to leap tall buildings in a single bound... is faster than a speeding bullet.. and more powerful than a locomotive...

Actually all I did was drive around a little after sticking the part: CV6Z-9A624-B ($5 bit of plastic) on my car.
Basically having the ST part on my SE makes my car SUPERCAR !!!
And worthy of mention in the all time car hall of fame.

The ST bit seems to make the intake slightly quieter than just leaving the intake hole in the front frame with nothing on it.(after the snorkle delete)

I can say the car performance is 'better' with a K&N and the snorkle delete. And also with the ST part on it I am full of confidence all Porsches and Corvettes and GTr types better watch out. [nutkick] (no such claim for big V8 Mustangs... I know where my loyalties lie...)

And since I believe I am the first to stick a (2013) ST air velocity stack on my MK3 ride...I accept the thanks of thousands of Focus mavens for bringing this wonder to us all. [angel]

·
Registered
34 Posts
While I'm not as versed in the performance upgrades that folks do, could you elaborate a bit on what you did and what the outcome was? I'm curious about this seemingly easy mod.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
While I'm not as versed in the performance upgrades that folks do, could you elaborate a bit on what you did and what the outcome was? I'm curious about this seemingly easy mod.

See the thread in MK3 engine mods: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297795

Basically you buy an free flowing aftermarket air filter. Either Green, or K&N, stick that in. Open up the front top plastic under the hood and remove the giant crazy gizmo called a 'snorkle'. Which channels the air to the air intake opening into the front frame member. the snorkle's only purpose is to quiet the air entering the engine. And it restricts airflow. Ripping it off is a good way to gain the advantage of the free flowing air filter. The snorkle delete takes all of ten minutes if you know how to take off the push tabs.. [rofl]

Someone mentioned the ST part, and I decided that would be great to stick on.
So I did.[woot]

·
Registered
314 Posts
Unmeasurable HP and TQ change, must be a lot...

I really doubt it made that much difference. Maybe with the closed K&N you'd gain 0.69 HP, I don't know. With an open ended filter forget it.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I really doubt it made that much difference. Maybe with the closed K&N you'd gain 0.69 HP, I don't know. With an open ended filter forget it.
If you do not 'believe' and clap your hands.... Tinkerbell will DIE!!!

Actually in general the K&N or 'Green" filter is Ok but with the 'snorkle delete' it does give a bit of added horsepower.. Enough many say they can feel it in thier 'butt dyno' (me included)
Better low speed takeoff.. engine just feels better (at least to me) and accelerating is better. it feels more like a car with a real engine instead of two squirrels running in a cage under the hood.

Now this is with a manual tranny.. so i can be anywhere in the powerband when I want.. (unlike the DCT)

So the aftermarket filter and snorkle does give some added juice. The little ST part is just icing on the cake.. And probably does not add anything besides bling.

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
I think it's pretty cool that the ST has been out for a year now and you're the first Mk3 owner to install this. I've thought about doing it 'just because' but never got around to it.

I assume you're strictly talking about the velocity stack. The drop-in/snorkel delete has clearly shown an increase in power when done together.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I assume you're strictly talking about the velocity stack. The drop-in/snorkel delete has clearly shown an increase in power when done together.
Correct.
The interesting thing is the ST velocity stack has the same size blank area at the far driver's side the regular Focus snorkle has. Even though the pass through for air in the bumper is wider AND the rubber part inside is also full width.
A mystery IMO. So I cut the blank area open, leaving the 'bell' of the velocity stack intact as a divider. I am certain my added opening is of little value, but I did it anyway.
So IMO the opening in the frame with no stack is totally adequate, since it is larger than the ST air velocity stack in stock condition. Probably a total wash.

So.. IMO the ST part is just 'bling' for a stock 3rd gen Focus.. to say I have an ST part on my ride.

Though as I wrote, it does make the air intake sound a little quieter than no ST intake part on there. (In comparison to just the bare frame air passthrough)

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Where the pictures are?!

I stuck the ST 'air velocity stack' into the place where the 'snorkle delete' part came off.. tonight.
NOW.. Whoo Hoo my car is able to leap tall buildings in a single bound... is faster than a speeding bullet.. and more powerful than a locomotive...

Actually all I did was drive around a little after sticking the part: CV6Z-9A624-B ($5 bit of plastic) on my car.
Basically having the ST part on my SE makes my car SUPERCAR !!!
And worthy of mention in the all time car hall of fame.

The ST bit seems to make the intake slightly quieter than just leaving the intake hole in the front frame with nothing on it.(after the snorkle delete)

I can say the car performance is 'better' with a K&N and the snorkle delete. And also with the ST part on it I am full of confidence all Porsches and Corvettes and GTr types better watch out. [nutkick] (no such claim for big V8 Mustangs... I know where my loyalties lie...)

And since I believe I am the first to stick a (2013) ST air velocity stack on my MK3 ride...I accept the thanks of thousands of Focus mavens for bringing this wonder to us all. [angel]
Sorry but I need pictures!
Please!
I think we're all waiting for pictures, I also drive stick
TY
[popcorn]

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I posted pics of my car leaping tall buildings and going faster than a speeding bullet i think Homeland Security would shut down this site as a security risk. [angel]

·
__________/\__
2,134 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Is that so?!
The second picture looks like the first one, only without the long tube... So you don't need to buy an extra part, just take the long tube apart.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Is that so?!
The second picture looks like the first one, only without the long tube... So you don't need to buy an extra part, just take the long tube apart.
short of destroying the part with a knife/ saw how do you expect to take it apart?

The ST's stock velocity air stack is only a couple of dollars in the U.S. and it isn't worth destroying your stock part in that case.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
@suss6052
TY I didn't know it was a one piece part that comes together. It makes sense now.
How can I pull the black plastic piece out that cover it?

·
__________/\__
2,134 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Those are good pictures of the parts.
The big stock snorkle is a real monster.... Ugly too.

The little picture has the ST part that goes in place of the big snorkle.

Taking pictures inside the front would be really tough unless as the picture taker did) remove the whole top plastic etc.. Whch I am not gonna do just to give somebody a picture.

The ST part is different than the base of the stock snorkle anyway.
I did cut up the stock snorkle base before I read about the ST part fitting in. The base of the stock snorkle does not have the velocity stack like extrusion the ST part has..
And that bell like bit, small as it is, is what you want there, if you are gonna bother at all with anything covering the frame opening.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts