Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Help PLEASE!

Hey,

I own a 2000 Ford Focus Zx3...well I have dropped in a used motor and replaced the alternator.......yesterday I got in for the first time since the install and the car will idle at 1800-2500 RPMS when first started, Once you drive for a minute and stop it idles at 4000 rpms!!! On top of that, the exhaust coming out tht tailpipe is EXTREMLY hot, but the motor is NOT overheating.....could it be a clogged converter? or any other suggestions r very much appreciated. Also when I got done with my 10 mile test drive, the engine was misfiring and putting.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
You have an air intake leak, or a sticky throttle body.

Check for the leak, use a non-flammable spray and spray around the intake and see if the idle changes. If it does, you have found your leak.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Your idle problem could be a bad throttle position sensor (TPS). Like he ^ said, its not the cars fualt. Did you install it or have a shop do it? If you did I would re-check all the connections and for leaks or if a shop did it take it back to them and demand it be fixed properly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Check your engine temp sensor.. Its the sensor on the back (where your intake manifold is) in the head to monitor temperature.. Since you have changed the engine, you would have disconnected everything and the sensor might not be plugged in all the way.. I had to disconnect all sensors and hoses when i changed my intake manifold and after the first start up, I had trouble with the idle going up and down (to around 3000rpm) and found out that it was only my engine temp sensor that was plugged, but not "clicked" in properly.. so when i would hit bumps, or the car moved, it made the connector move and so it connected, then disconnected, connected, disconnected..

And when i finally found it (it took me a while, caus it wasn't disconnected really, it just wasnt connected all the way in) it fixed all those issues..

Anyway.. just a thought

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
viney266 said:
You have an air intake leak, or a sticky throttle body.

Check for the leak, use a non-flammable spray and spray around the intake and see if the idle changes. If it does, you have found your leak.
can i use non-flammable brake clean?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate evryones help.......i am currently at work so i am not with the car, but my dad is working with it right now, he said the side of the converter closest to the motor
9top of it) is incrediably hot, but he can touch the exiting side of convetrer isnt hot, of course its warm but not nearly as hot as the incomng side......would u guys still lean toward an intake leak or TPS sensor?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BerinG said:
Check your engine temp sensor.. Its the sensor on the back (where your intake manifold is) in the head to monitor temperature.. Since you have changed the engine, you would have disconnected everything and the sensor might not be plugged in all the way.. I had to disconnect all sensors and hoses when i changed my intake manifold and after the first start up, I had trouble with the idle going up and down (to around 3000rpm) and found out that it was only my engine temp sensor that was plugged, but not "clicked" in properly.. so when i would hit bumps, or the car moved, it made the connector move and so it connected, then disconnected, connected, disconnected..

And when i finally found it (it took me a while, caus it wasn't disconnected really, it just wasnt connected all the way in) it fixed all those issues..

Anyway.. just a thought
thanks for the input, the sensor u speak of(engine temp) is that located on the left side of the motor near the timing gears?

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Doug1627 said:
can i use non-flammable brake clean?
Read the warnings on the back of the bottle, I'm positive that brake parts cleaner is really bad for things like rubber, plastic, and paint. Definately not something you'd want to spray under the hood of a car.

I always used starting fluid, but he said non-flammable so [dunno]

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
whynotthinkwhynot said:
Read the warnings on the back of the bottle, I'm positive that brake parts cleaner is really bad for things like rubber, plastic, and paint. Definately not something you'd want to spray under the hood of a car.

I always used starting fluid, but he said non-flammable so [dunno]
U have used starting fluid to check for intake leaks? I dont see it hurting anything, but im not a mechanic

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wow!! I feel dumb, I am not sure if its the problem or not.......but the tube thats comes off the cold air intake(i guess its a vacuumm line) well its not there.......you guys were a great help!!! Thanks ALOT!!!! and if that doesnt fix it ill be askn for more help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nope, not the problem, this sucks!!! I jjust got this thing back from the shop yesterday, and i called them and asked a few questions very politly and the guy got all mad and defensive, i thnk i smell court

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Sounds like something isn't working right, and yes- it is the shop's fault. Anyway, that tube that wasn't connected was the oil breather if I'm not mistaken.

There is a sticker under the hood somewhere- maybe on the bottom of the hood- called the VECI. On it there is a vacuum routing diagram that will show you how the vacuum lines run from one point to another point. You just need to know the parts of the emissions system and the motor so you can trace out the lines. There shouldn't be very many vacuum lines.

I'd check those, and check all the connections on the air intake, and also pay close attention to the throttle cable in case it might be routed incorrectly. I once made a simple mistake like that myself and it caused the throttle to hang.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Going back to detecting a vacuum leak, I use wd40. It works, it's safe, and when you're done, it leaves a nice protective coating on everything.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
when i get off work today im going to check out the routing diagram for teh vacuum lines and also grab a can of wd-40 and check for intake leaks, thanks again for the input!! and i will post how it goes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok, so my dad has made some leeway, he found that the # 2 cylinder isnt firing, the plug is brand new Motocraft, and the wires r fine as he touched it some metal and it arked......any suggestions? still an intake leak? and I havent been able to check for the leaks with Wd-40 yet nor check the vacuum lines, im still at work.

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
I honestly would take it to the shop and make them play where's waldo with that leak. I mean, you paid your hard earned money for it....you did them a favor by choosing their shop. Not the other way around.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i so want to do that, but im currently borrowing my Brother's work truck, and its a POS.....the shop doesnt open back up until Monday, i figure if its a fairly easy fix i would like to get it done b4 the weekend is ovr.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts