Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 focus SE got a little wet the other day and shorted a few things out. It was parked on the street and we had a bad rain and the storm sewer backed up. I had like 6 inches of water in my floor boards.

The car still runs and drives fine. After drying it out I have a check engine light and srs light. I am a mechanic and have a genisys scanner. Found the check engine light is a secondary fuel pump circuit malfunction, pump is running all the time when the key is on.

Next I checked the srs module, can't read it, possibly dead? Will it fry if it gets wet, or do I have a short somewhere else? Can I swap the module out for a new one or will the dealer have to [:)][:)][:)][:)] me on programing it, since I do not have ford specialized equipment?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sorry to hear about this,

On the fuel pump problem, it sounds like your fuel pump relay is sticking. This is the only time I have ever seen that DTC. Maybe the relay got wet and is stuck on.

On the SIR problem. You can replace the module. I have never had to program the modules I have replaced in the Foci's. The last one I replaced was over a year ago so it's possible something has changed since then.

Make sure you pull your entire interior out, inc. the carpet and let the carpet dry. If you don't, you are going to end up with a ton of problems in the future. All of the splices inside the car are not sealed.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
You could be in for a bad time with this problem. "Flood cars" as we call them around here are often totaled, even though they might look ok. The electrical problems you are now having are likely to get worse, even after drying everything out.

The ones I've worked on, end up having all sorts of strange, never before seen, almost un-fixable problems. And they don't need to go completely under water.....your 6" of water over the floor-boards is plenty.

The last one I worked on....a newer Maxima a guy bought cheap, knowing it had been in a flood. The auto-climate control had numerous strange symptoms. The owner insisted we fix the thing, and damn the cost. The bill for that single system was around $3K.

If you're willing to do all the work, and can find pieces in a junk-yard, you might make out ok......but expect the worst. Good luck....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well thanks for the help guys. I did some more playing with it this weekend. I am a mechanic, for a used car lot, but have more specialized training on GM rather than ford. I baught this focus for a cheap economy car as I got it at the dealer auction for $2600 with 60K on the clock.

I did some looking into the srs, the module still had water in it, its totally dead. I was wondering if you had to program them to the car, but I guess I will get one a see. Anyone delt with proairbags.com before? They want $135 for a good module.

Going to address the fuel problem today. Hopefully its a easy fix. As for the carpet and stuff, its all getting pulled this week and I am going to have everything steam cleaned.

I am not afraid of flood cars. I have fixed quite a few of them. mostly gm stuff I knew though. My 2002 C5 corvette I just sold was a flood car, fresh water, completely under. I had no real problems with it, ended up replacing the auto HVAC, gauge cluste and radio. I cleaned and clecked all connections before applying power to anything. I put 30K on it with no issues ever, and had a hell of a nice car for less than half of what is was worth.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
anyone know anything about the fuel pump module under the back seat? I think that is whats causing my P1237 code.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts