Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Perhaps you could post the video of the sound it's making? From my experience low power steering sounds raspy and loud...kind of like rocks in a blender or rocks being thrown through a fan. I can't imagine you would be driving with a sound like that.

That being said, our engines do sound loud and rackety when started in the cold. There are a number of systems which need to warm up before they quiet down, but more importantly, the engine hangs around ~1500 revs to help warm up faster.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
High pitched whine at that temperature is the grill shutter servo motors. Tomorrow morning when you start your car (because I'm sure it will be that cold again) immediately run to the front and look through your grill and you'll likely see the sound coincides with the movement of the grill shutters.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
High pitched whine at that temperature is the grill shutter servo motors. Tomorrow morning when you start your car (because I'm sure it will be that cold again) immediately run to the front and look through your grill and you'll likely see the sound coincides with the movement of the grill shutters.
^+1 this.

However, for me, it didn't happen only twice in the life of the car. I had wash the car before the night and in the morning it was cold. It never happened to my car even when it was -31°C outside (-24°F).

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
^+1 this.

However, for me, it didn't happen only twice in the life of the car. I had wash the car before the night and in the morning it was cold. It never happened to my car even when it was -31°C outside (-24°F).
Wow I get it every time it's about 5°F or colder. Only first thing in the morning though.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
It still doesn't sound normal to me - I can't imagine why the servo motors would be making noise for 5 minutes (nonstop?)

If you can, try to upload a video to youtube and send us the link!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Mine does this on very cold mornings as well. The consensus is grill shutters but I don't think anyone has been able to 100% prove it. It just makes the most sense. It usually doesn't last longer than a minute tops. Not 5 by any means though.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Mine does this on very cold mornings as well. The consensus is grill shutters but I don't think anyone has been able to 100% prove it. It just makes the most sense. It usually doesn't last longer than a minute tops. Not 5 by any means though.
Yes. Either that 5 minutes was exaggerated or he has a completely different issue. You can 100% prove it is or isn't the grill shutters by watching them move and how the noise coincides exactly with their movement. I've 100% proven it on my own car anyway.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
100% grill shutters. Take a peek through the opening under the license plate next time you start it. It hasn't caused issues so far, but I think Ford should do something about this.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Same sound for me but ONLY if I hold the RPM to 2000 precisely until the engine is warmed up!

Don't worry about it!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Yeah, I'm super curious to see what they do about it. I've always found it annoying and a dumb thing for a new car to do.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Please keep the thread updated for us. I feel like all my neighbors look at me like I don't know how to keep my car maintained. It's more embarrassing than anything.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts