Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for those who know, or those that don't know. I totaled my 2003 ZX5, August 9, 2017. It was a 5 speed, 91,000 miles on it.

The search began for a new ZX5, for the fact that I had to have 5 doors for ease of use, storage, and hauling the dogs around. I looked and looked and looked, no luck local.

There was one for sale on the Classifieds Page on FB...in Maryland. I asked for pictures, and more pictures. Never have bought a car sight unseen. So I said Why not.

It was a 1200 mile round trip and 18 hours of driving...no thanks, I had it shipped. Only about a $1 a mile to ship a car.

Original owner, 184k on the body, 40K on the motor. Not a single spec of rust.

So here is my beginning story of the 2006 ZX5 SE now in my possession.

This is not a build thread, just a log to look at my progress and what I have done.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All cleaned up. Ready for carpet.

Interior is getting done first, then ill get to the exterior.

·
It's just a Focus.
5,258 Posts
I love before and after stuff like this. It's so satisfying.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
237 Posts
I can tell you are a very ambitious and motivated dude. I wish I had your drive to do something when I get home from work. Until I find that inner motivation I'll kick back and watch you make another focus Awesome.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, it's gonna take time, yeah it's gonna be aggravating. But if I plan on driving it, I need to know everything about the car.

Plus, buying a project car, you know things need fixed, that's why you buy them cheap.

List right now of what needs fixed.

Flex pipe
Endlinks
Ball joint (maybe)
Driver door handle doesn't open from the outside.
Needs shocks
Probably struts too.
Radio
Ebrake cable
Brakes

All simple stuff. Just a little bit of work. Heart is solid though from my short time driving it around the yard seeing what is loose.

·
It's just a Focus.
5,258 Posts
Nah, just screw the flex pipe and run open header. Full rally car status there. Good thing about a fixer-upper is that you get to upgrade parts as you see fit that you might not otherwise consider.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
what header is that? do you plan on keeping it?

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what header is that? do you plan on keeping it?
It's an OBX header, I only need the flex off it. Header will probably go.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dam sorry to hear about the unfortunate wreak and boy that's fast in that score, well done.
It was a bad day. I fell asleep, crossed center.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys. Waited a week local to find a good shell to swap the motor and trans into....absolutely nothing was out there. Looked at one, but the rockers were GONE. Those parameters were anywhere from Chicago, to Grand Rapids, to Cincinnati, and down to Louisville.

Found this 06 as mentioned in Maryland, wasn't a zetec, but was still a 5 speed and had cruise control. So that's where we are today.

Also found out the car is prewired for traction control and heated seats, so that was pretty cool.

·
FUBARCUS
7,763 Posts
Wow! You really go from top to bottom when you clean your vehicles! Need to figure out how to get the sap front look with Mach headlights!

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's progress.

And yes Brett, I figured out many moons ago, it's worth the time to do things right the first time.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When you turn traction control on or off is there a light that should come on?

1 - 20 of 83 Posts