Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been a member for a few years now. I've been driving a 2007 Focus SE up until July 25th of this year. On that day, I was coming back from a business trip and made an unbelievable faux pas. I fell asleep at the wheel. [sleep]

I was traveling southbound on 101 by Gilroy, CA on my way to Monterey where I jumped the curb at the Leavesley Exit when I woke up. I quickly had that oh shit moment. Tried to turn down the hill to prevent rolling. When the car did not steer, I realized I was not in control and was just a passenger. I hit on the front driver's side corner. Flipping the car and rolling on the passenger side. Needless to say the car saved my life. [pray] I do not remember a lot of that night/morning. I took pictures and will upload them soon.

It's been a humbling experience. [:(] I baby all my vehicles and it's been hard knowing I messed up a perfectly good vehicle. [:(!]

So I want to get back into a Focus!

For the past two months or so, I've followed the experiences of those willing to document them on this site. I feel pretty informed. I understand some issues but feel confident they will be resolved (namely, MFT and the update in December).

For people like me, just reading about the experiences and hold back to getting a car...I will document my experience throughout the entire process.

On Weds I will drive up to Sunnyvale Ford to do a test drive and put down a deposit. They were the only Ford dealer to respond to my emails and actually gave me a call within an hour. Since I will be using x-plan, I mentioned that right away. Maybe that's why no one else has responded??

What I want:

-2012 Focus Titanium Hatchback
-Tuxedo Black (late availability)
-Arctic White Interior
-401A package
-Parking Technology
-MFT w/Navigation
-Machined and Painted Alloy Wheels (I think this will look good with the Tuxedo Black paint)

With X-Plan I was quoted from Sunnyvale Ford: $25908

Let the fun begin [:D]

·
Registered
187 Posts
First let me knock on wood.

I love my Focus! I haven't had the problems that are discussed on the forum with MFT. The first night I had the car the system locked up, but I turned it off and walked away to get the fob out of range. When I stepped back and started the car it rebooted and has worked fine since. That day I had loaded an Ipod, a USB, and a phone plus some wallpaper, the MTF probably had a little indigestion.

I have put nearly 500 miles on the car since I got it and it has run and handled very well, not transmission issues at all.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First let me knock on wood.

I love my Focus! I haven't had the problems that are discussed on the forum with MFT. The first night I had the car the system locked up, but I turned it off and walked away to get the fob out of range. When I stepped back and started the car it rebooted and has worked fine since. That day I had loaded an Ipod, a USB, and a phone plus some wallpaper, the MTF probably had a little indigestion.

I have put nearly 500 miles on the car since I got it and it has run and handled very well, not transmission issues at all.
One more thing...I did order the Winter Package as well...saw it in your sig and remembered....yea I got that too...

That's very good to know and you have pretty much what I will be ordering. It sounds like most of the problems arise from vehicles made before August 2011. Perhaps Ford has corrected some of the issues.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Images of the accident

The landing spot, that is the drivers side window on the ground.

Another view of the landing spot...

As you can see...not my best moment...but I walked away and I can't beat that at all.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sweet Jesus! How are you not dead!?

You must have angels watching over you, my friend. [angel]

(PS: Airbag didn't need to deploy?)
I called Ford about this. The Focus has front and side airbags. Not one deployed. I was told that they design them to deploy under very specific conditions. If not, and they deploy under any condition, they could wreak worse havoc on the driver/passengers.

I feel like I have a second chance. When taking out my custom Alpine setup, I could not sit up in the car...and I had 3-4 inches of room above me. It was an eye-opener...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I called Ford on that very thing. I had front AND side airbags on that Focus. Not one deployed.

I was told that they specifically design the airbags to deploy under very specific conditions. Airbags have force and if you dont need that force...why add more...

...I am lucky...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
-Machined and Painted Alloy Wheels (I think this will look good with the Tuxedo Black paint)

I have the same [:D]
That makes me feel a little better...I could not decide between either the polished or machined...I decided with machined. Knowing now other have the same thought as I do... [headbang]

·
Registered
23 Posts
The Focus is pretty tough car. Nov 4 2010 I had a brain fart and ran a red light I got T-bone in my 2005 Focus ST. I was knockout for about 10 minutes. I woke up to a bad dream but no one would let me move, fire dept used the jaws of life to pull my door off. I was helicoptered to the nearest Trauma 1 center. After Xrays & CT scans I got 6 staples to close a cut on my head, and then to everyones surprise they made me walk out of the hospital (just to make sure I could walk, I do have really health insurance). My dad is a retired claims adjuster and said I was lucky not to have broken leg. I just took delivery of my 2012 Focus Ti on Friday, what a step up.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Sweet Jesus! How are you not dead!?

You must have angels watching over you, my friend. [angel]

(PS: Airbag didn't need to deploy?)
Why should he be dead? The occupant compartment is largely intact. The most likely way he was going to be seriously injured or killed is by not wearing his seat belt and being ejected or partially ejected from the automobile.

Rollover crashes look spectacular, but seldom result in serious injury or death. Why? It has to do with the time it takes to dissipate the kinetic energy the car posses.

Without boring you with the physics behind it, the longer a period of time it takes to dissipate the kinetic energy in a crash, the lower the deceleration force. The lower the deceleration force, the more survivable the crash.

Lets assume the 2012 Ford Focus in question weighs 3,250 lbs with one occupant. At 60 MPH the car's kinetic energy is 391,122 pound-foot of energy.

If the Focus is traveling at 60 MPH and rolls over, coming to a stop in say 4 seconds, it's deceleration force (G force) is much less than if the same Ford Focus traveling at 60 MPH impacts a concrete barrier and comes to a stop in 100 milliseconds. Same initial speed, same kinetic energy, but since the energy was dissipated over a much longer period of time the deceleration force is much less. Thus, the crash is much more survivable.

As a side note, as speed increases so does the kinetic energy. But, the kinetic energy increases exponentially compared to the speed due to the velocity-squared term. So as the speed doubles, the kinetic energy quadruples. Thus the reason why even small increases in speed have a large increase in the kinetic energy.

As for the airbags, there are several sensors related to the airbags in an automobile. These sensors measure the forces in an impact and determine whether or not the threshold to deploy one or more of the airbags is met, and if so, how fast they deploy. They seldom deploy in a rollover crash because (in a nutshell) the deceleration force (explained above) is usually not sufficient enough to trigger them. The easiest way to trigger them is in a frontal collision where the deceleration force is high.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Would you prefer if I said Ford engineers were the angels watching over him?

As a mechanical engineer, I am very familiar with crumple zones, KE, impulse, physics, yada yada yada. I was merely pointing out that the damage to his car would lead one to believe that he would walk away with more than 6 staples.

But yes, the around the cabin did remain fairly intact.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Would you prefer if I said Ford engineers were the angels watching over him?

As a mechanical engineer, I am very familiar with crumple zones, KE, impulse, physics, yada yada yada. I was merely pointing out that the damage to his car would lead one to believe that he would walk away with more than 6 staples.

But yes, the around the cabin did remain fairly intact.
My neighbor has a degree in mechanical engineering. During his course of study he too had classes that relate to much of the above. However, his professional field of work is that of working for a large company that manufacturers doors and windows. As a mechanical engineer, he could not reconstruct a motor vehicle crash to save his life.

I have over 20 years in the field of motor vehicle crash reconstruction, many of them as an expert. I do not have a mechanical engineering degree. However, I have hundreds upon hundreds of hours of classes and training specific to the field of crash reconstruction. I have also worked with some of the preeminent experts in my field from across North America. I could not design and manufacture a window to save my life. [:D]

Peace, and over and out! [:)~]

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here is a pic from my T-bone that I mentioned on the prior page, Flew into the trauma center, 6 staples and walked out 2.5 hrs later. It is very rare that you fly to a ER and walk out the same day.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
For my former ride, the Contour SVT, plenty of one car rollovers.. No one was hurt in them, from all the posts on the Contour dot org site.
I felt pretty safe in my SVT.
Ford (and actually all the carmakers) have done a remarkable job with crash reisistance.
Seeing a car slam into a barrier at high speed and only the front end gets bent up is pretty remarkable.
Do have to say the sides still need a little work.. in general, all cars need better side protection. but what cars have now for keeping occupants from injury is miraculous IMO. (if you wear the seatbelt)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is a pic from my T-bone that I mentioned on the prior page, Flew into the trauma center, 6 staples and walked out 2.5 hrs later. It is very rare that you fly to a ER and walk out the same day.
OMG...that is amazing! I am very glad to hear that you "walked" away from that crash. The impact is right at you...I could not even imagine what that must have been like to experience.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Any updates so far? I live in the bay area and I have been trying to find a good Fors dealer. I'm here in the north bay and I have many to choose from. Let me know how the Sunnyvale dealer works out. Thanks :D

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I ordered the car yesterday from Sunnyvale Ford with x-plan pricing from Sunnyvale Ford.

Jack, my salesman, has been very great so far.

He showed me the cars he has on the lot so I can see all the different choices I can order with my car. I have to say that he has been the first salesman that I felt comfortable talking to about cars...and for once I did not know way more than the salesman. I asked questions from posts I've seen here on FF. He said there's been a few issues, but hasn't seen them on the recently built ones.

I can put up my order paperwork if anyone would like to see the first step in ordering their car.

Since I ordered it with Tuxedo Black, it shows late availability...maybe sometime in November. The wait will kill me!!

I like to refer people to dealers/salesman that make the process easier...and so far jack is doing a great job at that. If anyone would like his contact info PM me...and tell him John from Monterey sent you. I won't get any kickbacks but I told about this forum and it would be cool to see the response he gets from it...so maybe they can tell the bad salesman that pushing for that sweet deal may make them money one time but people will know...
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
264 Posts
Did he give you a Hard time about ordering because when I talked to my dealer about ordering the car that I wanted she got all uptight and sassy. I told her that I didn't want an SE becaue I wanted MFT cause IMO it is worth it. She said that usually people don't order cars and I was about to be like. Go to these fourns and read some and the. Try to tell me that. She then was like well we can bring one in from another dealer but it would have to be driven more than 100 miles. I told her that I don't want to spend a lot of money on a car with x00 miles on it. She then refused to give me a test drive of the fully loaded titanium that they had because she said that Labor day weekend was a busy weekend like she didn't value my time at all. Definitely won't be shopping there again. Or at least I'll go to a different dealer.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh wow... Clearly they did not want to sell a car.

I have to say that I emailed Sunnyvale ford, frontier ford, and my local dealership cypress coast ford. I told them that wanted to order a custom titanium. Sunnyvale ford called me back within the hour. I spoke with jack and gave him what I wanted. All over the phone. He was ready to take the deposit over the phone and order it right then....but I wanted to test drive one first. So I made the drive. Got there and we redid the custom order just to make sure I got what I wanted. We even reviewed the codes to put in so I knew the right stuff was being ordered. It was a very easy visit. This will be my second new car and third I have gone to a dealer to buy from new. Helped out with my wife's car. I have to just say, very easy transaction. He showed what he had and said now lets order you your car. So far...everything has been great.
Posted via FF Mobile

1 - 20 of 41 Posts