Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd throw this out to those that may not know. I have a '03 EAP and the parts have been added over the last 48,000 miles I have owned the car.

1) Replaced the factory shifter with a short throw from CFM. A define improvement.

2) Added lower mount "dog bone" from CFM with poly mounts. Didn't like it. Vibration in interior was intolerable. Took it off. Put OEM on.

3) Determined Passenger side motor mount was bad. Replaced both left and right motor mounts. What a difference that made! Better ride, quite on the inside. The way it's supposed to be.

4) Put CFM dog bone back on. Worked fine. Lesson learned: Aftermarket parts can't cure anything if the rest of the system is not up to par.

5) Ingalls Torque Dampener "Spiffy" installed. Huge vibration. Dash looked like it was going to vibrate right off! Took it off and placed two layers of dyna-mat under mounting points and even used some between the spherical rod ends where they attach to the aluminum mounting bracket. That took care of it.
Since I've owned this car, I've never been impressed with the shifting, whether it be casual driving or aggressive. I mean, it get's through the gears but I've had better FWD cars. Now; I'd rank this the best shifting FWD car I've ever driven. Very smooth and engagement right where you expect or want. Slow driving or fast now I'm very happy. Seems to spin the tires more on fast shifts. Oh well...

·
Registered
739 Posts
Had a similar experience with my '07 Civic Si. I had upgraded all three motor mounts to racing-grade ones and while the vibration in the cabin was a bit intense the improvement in shifting that change made was immediate and quite drastic in a good way. Glad to hear you got yours working well now. It's the worst when you have a manual that doesn't shift well.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,214 Posts
There is/was a guy that was aluminum making shifter base bushings, they looked nice but cost a pretty penny. I installed stacks of washers in place of the rubber bushings and it works great. I think I used three washers at each corner.

I wasn't too impressed with the shifting when I got the car either, (especially since my last cars shifter was on top of the trans) since the STS, dogbone, and my "washer mod" it shifts nicely.

·
Registered
739 Posts
There is/was a guy that was aluminum making shifter base bushings, they looked nice but cost a pretty penny. I installed stacks of washers in place of the rubber bushings and it works great. I think I used three washers at each corner.

I wasn't too impressed with the shifting when I got the car either, (especially since my last cars shifter was on top of the trans) since the STS, dogbone, and my "washer mod" it shifts nicely.
That is not a bad idea at all with the washers. I might just do that myself.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Did you put the dogbone bolts back in reversed order?

I made that mistake.

·
Registered
87 Posts

Do you have pictures of that washer mod? thinking of doing it myself while I'm installing my CFM shifter.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The solid shifter bushings mentioned upthread are from Chaz Edwards, dba NERP Tech. I don't know his handle on here. I got them and like them a lot but I don't know if he is still selling them.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,214 Posts
Do you have pictures of that washer mod? thinking of doing it myself while I'm installing my CFM shifter.
I never took pics because I did it real quick in the parking lot where I got the washers. (Nice thing about having a Euro console is that I don't have to pull the entire console out to work on the shifter.)

You'll 3/8" (I think) washers, three at each corner twelve total.

-Yank ^these^ soft squishy bushings out of the base.
-Put the washers under the base, I did three a corner.
-I salvaged the stock gold-ish washers and put them on top of the base, then tighten the nuts.

There's a little more wiggle room because the holes are bigger from the bushing removal. I moved the whole shift base toward me before I tightened it down. (the motor mounts have adjustment wiggle room too before your bolt them down, so it's perfectly fine for a shifter)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts