Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Damn.Got stopped again.Didn't get a ticket,but a very stern warning;one more time and we tow it.Yikes.So,looks like there is enough room in the tunnel for a 30" Cherry bomb straight through glasspack.If I get 2.25"inlet and 2.25" outlet,it should be a bolt in(well,clamp in).Sure hate to cut that nice stainless Magnaflow pipe...but the law has spoken.I am wondering if this will be quiet enough with the 4-1 header,2.25" flex and Magnaflow.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
4-1 header, you're running without your cat then? If such is the case, I'd hop on that quick-like, to keep them from taking a closer look. Bummer tho.

·
Registered
705 Posts
With my old 4-1, I had a 22" long magnaflow resonator put in. Sadly I had to chop a good section out of the magnaflow catback stright pipe. I dont have a sound clip, but it was at a good volume for me. It was pretty quiet cruising, but accelerating, you could hear it, but not too obnoxiously loud. BUt when romped on, it was like the resonator wasn't even there. But it made a huge difference, but I think a good one.

edit: my old setup was 4-1 obx race header, bosal 2.25 flex, magnaflow 2.25 catback

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,842 Posts
That isnt so bad i had custom 2.5 inch exhaust with 4-2-1 and no cat. I got a magnaflow chambered resonator, I lost some horsepower. But i made it up with a cut off switch just behind the flex pipe so when i want i run a straight header set up and at idle to around 1500 rpm my car sounds like a v8 and when getting on it is not ricey at all it sound deep and really loud i got out of a lot of tickets this when because ill run straight header at wide open throttle but close when cruising so if i get pulled i just tell the cop to listen its not me but most time it goes after another car with loud exhaust over me i never had a ticket since my car is barely heard but at full throttle it is decent loud but still very quite like 109 or 111 dbs from a 147 db with header switch.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Should've just done it right the first time and gone with the SVT Borla...I run it in conjunction with an OBX 4-2-1 header and 2.5 flex, and I've never been hassled for my exhaust being too loud. Its civil while cruising, but when you beat on the gas it really wakes up. I'd say its right on the border of being too loud...which is exactly where I want it.

I will say, however, that exhaust too loud tickets (and stereo too loud tickets) are usually BS...its all based on what the officer feels is too loud. Now its possible that your exhaust is too loud, but if you want to contest it you could always get your decible level tested and take it to court. The only problem is, if they catch you again the judge will probably throw out the test results as evidence because he/she'll say that you've had adequate time since the test was done to modify your exhaust. A similar thing happened to a friend of mine who had a yellow Evo with tinted windows...he had his windows tested three times within an eight month period because he kept getting pulled over for his tint being too dark, and each subsequent time the judge would throw out the state highway patrol test sheet because (as the judge put it) there had been enough time since the test for him to have his windows re-tinted. On the fourth ticket he just threw in the towel and had the tint removed.

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,842 Posts
Depends on location some places they have a 3 time rule and your done its gone like in PSL Florida if my BASS is Booming like if im at a comp and i get 3 tickets there goes my 4 grand boom box into a cop car right on the spot, but last time i got a ticket i was heard from over 2000yards at least thats was the cop said he laughed at me and asked why would i need that extra 400 and no trunk space i said sure ill give you it to put in your car then take off and watch you not keep up. He was a dick and gave me a 80 dollar ticket and said if you go to court i put the real distance you were heard from on the ticket and the judge will have fun with you then.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Safety equipment violation is a towable offense in most states,however the cop would have to be a hardnose to actually enforce it.I had to splice a resonator into my intermediate pipe as well to fend off the local authorities.I have the same system as you QQQQ.It does tone it down quite a lot.Very stealthy.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Is there a clamp-on option for a resonator or can it only be welded? Where does it go, the long pipe after the flex?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Got my cherry bomb glass pack today,Part#87515,which is 30" long with 2 1/4 ID inlet and 2 1/4"ID outlet.I unbolted the front of my 2.25"OD Magnaflow mid pipie at the flex,measured and marked the pipe,cut it twice,and slid the ends into the bomb.Clamped both ends and bolted it back to the flex pipe.Not hard to do and does it sound sweeeet!Still agressive,but the wail is pretty much gone.Now for a test drive.

·
Registered
705 Posts
when i get sould clips, its usually through a video. Use a digi cam that can take one video of a drive w/ the windows down, one stopped and revving. Both are typical or you can choose one of the above. Once you get the video, upload it to a host, I use photobucket. Photobucket will give you a link, from there, you paste it in a reply here.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Hmm....I'm getting ready to install my SVT header with no cat and a ZX3 Borla.....hope the cops are kind to me.....

·
Registered
622 Posts
I hope anyone with an illegal exhaust setup, IE having the cat removed or using a race header not legal on the street, I hope you all have your cars towed, impounded, and auctioned off. Your running an illegal system, no wonder it's too loud. Your killing my environment, and yours as well. I've heard all the arguments, what's one more 4 banger, yadada, but one more ten times over adds up. Call me a tree hugger if you want, but ever heard of global warming? We can all do our part.

Keep it legal with quality parts and you still get gains, but you won't attract the cops attention. Or, get towed. It's not hard to keep it legal, and on our tiny little engines your not really gaining anything but being obnoxious to your neightbors and to the environment. I got the Borla catback on an otherwise stock system and it sounds great, but doesn't break anyones windows as I drive by them.

If I was a cop and looked under your car and saw no cat, I'd tow it immediatley. Its not safe for the street. Hence, ILLEGAL!!! No different than driving without the windshield. Doesn't your state do yearly inspection? I've heard some of the backwater states down south don't inspect. Man, that's just sad. Pathetic really.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
((I see this thread going bad quickly...))

There are areas that do not do emissions testing (for example, the only spots in Wisconsin are counties that are around major cities, like the ones surrounding Milwuakee, for example).

Also, even in the metro-Milwuakee area, they don't really do a visual inspection. If your car has OBD-II, it gets plugged in and they go by the readings that the car is observing. If you don't have OBD-II, then you get your car up on the rollers, and the DMV test station analyzes what is coming out of your exhaust by using their machines.

On that note, I have friends who have vehicles (some with OBD-II, some without) who have either no cat, a hollowed out cat, or a high flow cat, and they all pass their respective emissions tests. Yes, even the one with no cat passed its test (much to the owner's suprise).

Also, the only way I can manage to relate driving without a cat and driving without a windshield is that both of them can get you a ticket.....

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
HA!Keep it legal.BITE ME! My car without a "cat" passes emissions just fine.You been spoon fed years of misimformation from the dickwads that think only rose petals should come out of tailpipes.Engines can be tuned to run cleanly without cats.And it is now stealthy quiet...so I'm gonna go out and really rip up some or YOUR enviorment.WAAAAAAHHHHAAAHHAAAA!!Grow some stones.

·
Registered
622 Posts
If you can pass inspection without a cat, well your lucky I guess. Is it legal though? That is the question I present. Does your state require you to have a working catalytic converter or not? I'm pretty sure it was on the car when you bought it and is required in all 50 states. So cars running a catless system (not a high flow, which I presume are legal) and you get pulled over and visually inspected, then you deserve whatever you get. Passing emmissions is great and all, but that doesn't mean your not spitting crap into the air. Spoonfed idea or not, it still helps pollution and doesn't impede power that much. Keep it legal is what I am saying.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You don't get it do you?If you pass the emission test without a cat you aren't "spitting" anything into the air.Not everything that burns gas needs a cat.Yea,yea,it's supposed to have one but then again,why does my speedometer go to 120mph?Where is that legal here in the states?DOH!Guess I'll just have to run around at 65mph and be a GOOOOD boy.Not happening.Pedal to the metal.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.