Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well fellow SVT owners i have been thinking alot about the SVT division lately and whats going on at ford. At first i didn't appreciate the SVT completely, i'm not going to lie. My goal was to get it, boost the shit out of it!! In the process i think i have destoryed the whole meaning of the car. Looking at the how few SVTF out there, it genuwinly makes me sad to know that i don't have pure SVT any more. I just went over the sticky that has the break down of the color and the packages, come to find out there are only 110 car like mine!! And for some of you their are only like 20 cars like yours. When i got my car it already had been tanted, neon, scratches, and dents. If i could do it all again, i would have been more patient and would have found one in better condition. I would also leave the car alone(drop it k&n air filter) and thats it. I would keep amaculant care of it and it would always be parked in the back of every parking!!! Kinda feel like have done a bad job representing the SVTF and destroyed a piece of auto history! Sorry for being the downer here, and thanks for hearing me out[:(]

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
im getting to feel the same way. actually have undone a few mods that previous owners had done and repaired alot of oopses that were previously done. wouldnt take much to put mine back to stock again if i wanted too.

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
I don't think rarity is directly proportional to value. I doubt these cars will be worth much in the future, especially when people think I overpaid for mine at $11,7k with 36k miles.

I think if you have a yellow or orange Euro, then you may have a point... that's why I'm working on the red SVT and plan to have an orange Euro with low miles to stick in the garage and keep stock. [:D]

·
FF Affiliate
31,094 Posts
I feel you take the yellow Focus keep it for 30 years it wont bring 12,000.00 these cars just will never be in the ranks of the Cobras or close

Tom

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
I suppose that depends on inflation. 30 years ago you could buy a '76 Mach I for $4200, so technically it could be possible to get $12k back for an '04 SVTf in 2034. [:D]

·
FF Affiliate
31,094 Posts
CaysE said:
I suppose that depends on inflation. 30 years ago you could buy a '76 Mach I for $4200, so technically it could be possible to get $12k back for an '04 SVTf in 2034. [:D]
I can turn 12,000 into 120,000.00 in 30 years with out even trying

If you cant buy a 12,000 car now and in 30 years be worth 100,000 then your car isnt an investment it is a toy and if its a toy why not mod it to what you like

Tom

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I think I have to agree with Tom here. Despite all of the SVTF glory it is still just a Focus. It will never be something really special. Collector cars are usually more unique and not based off of a company's entry level car with some tasteful modifications...

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I know the feeling...

I want to do so much to the poor car, but then if i do i'm gonna feel like it's no longer the SVT i fell in love with. I want the real rs kit or do a custom widebody but then it won't look like an svt...it'll just look like an RS clone. As for the motor...i don't have many issues modding it. The way i see it is if it's still using the SVT engine...then all's good ;) I just wouldn't want to do an engine swap cause then it wouldn't really be an SVT. But right now i got no money...so not like it matters to me much ;)

·
Registered
351 Posts
It's funny, i've got a friend with the EXACT same feelings svtguy21. I just bought mine, and it will probably only ever see different tires, VF rear mount, STS, maybe a cold air, iPod stereo, and maybe some clear corners. I've always felt like this. At any rate, like I told my friend, if you're blown, chances are you can sell some of your mods, and use that money to get back to stock.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
we will see

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ha your funny, ...no! thats na. haven't installed the kit yet!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've heard similar things from Integra Type-R owners before. Buy the car; mod the hell out of it; realize they've really turned it into something it was never intended to be (not in a good way); put it back more-or-less stock... The real purists end up selling their black or yellow cars in favor of finding an earlier white one.

·
Registered
201 Posts
One never knows how rare (& valuable) these cars will be in the future. They're disappearing at an alarming rate. Several noted here which is only a percentage of SVT ownership so it's reasonable to assume that they're disappearing at the same rate across the entire ownership. If you consider bone stock SVTs they probably barely exist.

Mine is mostly stock. The only thing that can't be undone is the mid-wing (bolted on). And I guess that could be undone (probably expensive). I did put chrome SVT wheels on mine and then sold the originals (might regret that). I really didn't need a set of wheel taking up space in my crowded garage. But the extra money is nice and will help pay for Tom's tune...getting ready to pull the trigger on that probably this weekend. I put the chrome SVTs on because I wanted something to set it off but yet wanted to stay somewhat original. I really like the results (check out my gallery). This car is worth more to me than anyone else (even you "fanatics") as is evident by the book value.

So don't beat yourself up. Let yourself enjoy the car. Personally I like keeping things simple but you could argue that the mid-wing, eurostar tails and chrome SVTs might be "over-the-top". But I really like some of themore extreme cars I've seen here with full body kits, cf hoods, etc. (I almost went a little more extreme...bought the rousch rear wing but will not put it on. I will probably sell it.) But as I've considered the expense of those things (and the fact that at $25/week allowance I don't have alot of money to put into this car) I've chilled a little.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I felt the same way origionally. I bought the car, didnt drive it a whole lot. In fact, it sat in an apartment parking lot for a year becuase I didnt want to lose my choice parking spot and I didnt want a bunch of miles. Then one day, I realized how I hated Ferrari owners who didnt drive their cars and realized, I bought a toy. Im going to enjoy it!

Look at it this way, those of us that modded our cars (especially those few of us in the turbo SVT crowd) we just made the SVTF the way the guys at SVT really wanted to...the bean counters kept it to a much weaker representation. Our cars were meant to be driven and driven hard.

I wont remove the seats of the engine. Im having a hard time getting the F2 RS Widebody and painting it RS blue. I want to so bad, but I dont want to kill that uniqueness. At a point, you become another focus once the SVTF stuff is gone...we just paid a higher entry fee for the same damn thing.

I do see where you are coming from, and I agree, but like Tom said...12k max. Its just a sad reality. WE value the SVTF WAY beyond 12k, and thats all it really comes down to. Modding is just your own unique signature.

·
Registered
185 Posts
1turbofocus said:
I can turn 12,000 into 120,000.00 in 30 years with out even trying

If you cant buy a 12,000 car now and in 30 years be worth 100,000 then your car isnt an investment it is a toy and if its a toy why not mod it to what you like

Tom
If you plan on ever DRIVING your car, it's not an investment, period. On the absolute high end of things, it's a poor investment if you never touch it for 30 years.

Tom

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
every time I do a mod, or want to do a mod, I think of this........the only thing I can't undi is the hole cut in the sub box for mounting the Kicker 8" sub...other than that, I can put it totally back to stock, other than the tint on the windows.

My car is the LAST of the last.......SVT 3-door #1978, and although it is special, it drives me NUTS soemtimes that it IS a limited edition car, and that the more I do to it, the less it appreciates.

kinda like the guy in 1965 with a shelby, that changes the exhaust, shifter, and cams the engine........today, it's a classic, but back then he had one, his buddy had one, and so did the guy down the street........

I plan on doing what I want to the car, but still keep the fact that it is #1978 of 1978 in my head when thinking of mods......

For example: I want redline hood lifts....BUT I have to rivet the fenders........I can't do it......and I won't right now.....I just can't bring myself to do it........

SVT made the car to be DRIVEN, and they said for me to "enjoy driving this awesome machine" or whatever in the closing on the SVT letter....I will do that....23,700mi and counting....

it IS after all..."just a Focus"

·
Registered
201 Posts
Endless Mike said:
If you plan on ever DRIVING your car, it's not an investment, period. On the absolute high end of things, it's a poor investment if you never touch it for 30 years.

Tom
My car is both toy and investment. It's therapy which is an investment in my sanity. As toy I suppose it an investment in my youth. Likely won't be worth a dime in 20 years but the memories will be priceless. It doesn't get any better than this for under $18k....collector's car or not.

·
Turbo!!!!
5,797 Posts
you never know whats going to make a car collectable. Sure the m3 and the cobra are going to be worth somethimg some day, but cars that made an impact on the automotive industry are going to be a value at some point to. I feel if you don't do what you want with your car than what is the point in having it. I will drive the hell out of my svtf because in the end that is what it was intended for,not to be a trailer queen or just to sit in your garage to show your buddys what you own.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts