Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I am building a new engine for my S1 Lotus Elise, it will be my first Ford engine build, but i have rebuilt some lancia integrale engines.

For those who don't know the S1 elise, its a 725 kg mid engine sportscar. normally equiped with a rover engine with 120-190 bhp. my main usage is trackdays, hillclimbs and asfalt rally stages. always driving to the events.

so i was tired of the old rover and bought a 2.0 liter duratec block and a later spec head. like always i took the crank out and found some issues with the bearings:

originally i planned just to slam a log style manifold on it, keep the internals stock and have some fun with around 280 bhp. but now i am rebuilding the complete engine i want more...around 170 more. so i am aiming at 450. but i am willing to ad some water to the wine if better road manners are to be gained.

In the netherlands we have 98 ron available at every corner.

The engine is now at the machine shop for a bore and hone, matching the new CP 8,5 88mm pistons. and the head is being mildly flowed.

here is my parts list sofar:

Pistons: cp 8,5 comp/ 88mm.
Rods: forged maxspeeding rods, ( i have used them before and was well impressed)
Crank: Stock, maybe keyed?
Injectors: Siemens 600cc.
Manifold: some tubular job. might go custom.
Flywheel: tts custom lightweight
Gearbox: close ratio uprated rover box.
Fuel pump AEM 310L.
Exhaust : 3"valved system with cat ,small muffler and straight pipe

my biggest questions are:

Turbo: in doubt; gt2871 or gt3071R, maybe holset Hy35. i used to run a 2871 on my integrale. but i dont think it will get me over 420. what is generally speaking the fastest spooling turbo for around 420-450bhp?

ECU: some use stock ecu with remap and external boost controller. but is this a crude solution? preferably i would like to have at least 2 boost settings or maps. one for road and one for stage.

Megasquirt (and likes as KDFI, ecu master Emu), well it uses the ford 36-1 tooth trigger wheel, and i think it can be calibrated to use ford sensors. also built in boost control, launch control are nice functions. Anti-lag is nice but scarry. but not alot of tuners are willing to tune those systems.

AEM, Omex, emerald, are also not well known in the netherlands, and the emerald cannot use the knocking sensor.

ODD Ball : while researching i found that Mr Block uses a OEM SAAB ECU, at first i was WTF, but further research showed that there are a lot of open source tuning software available and with 60-2 trigger wheel it could be more refined (and more complex). any body tried it here?

what is the general concensus?

Turbo: in doubt; gt2871 or gt3071R, maybe holset Hy35. i used to run a 2871 on my integrale. but i dont think it will get me over 420.

sorry if i made any spelling mistakes, but me being Dutch, english is not my first language.

thanks for your help,,

·
FF Affiliate
31,098 Posts
You should of started you base engine as a 2.3 or 2.5 , the cost is about the same to build but your would of been far ahead on the TQ something you will never be able to make up with the 2.0

My being a tuner and have worked with all the software you listed and many more would go with the stock ECU and wiring , you will be far better off

Tom

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies, will have a look at the gtx and glad to hear that the stock ecu is the best solution. Will contanct you later Tom for a suitable map. I wish I could go for 2.3 or 2.5 but they are unobtainium in the Netherlands.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In holland the fusion comes with a 1.4 1.6 petrol and diesel....
Need I to say more? But I have past the point of no return already when I had the 2.0 bored and low comp cp Pistons matched..

·
FF Affiliate
31,098 Posts
Agree but was just curious if you had the car over there , I wish they offered the diesel over here

The 2.0 done right will make that little car a rocket ship , there not half bad with the engine they come with

Spend the $$$$ and get a 2.3 head from over here and the cosi knock off intake will make a very nice set up for what your doing with the car

Tom

·
Fins Up!
4,843 Posts
Built 2.5 with a holset would be an unstoppable monster. I have a hx35 on my 1.8 miata and it is fantastic. Spools faster than the old to4b did and makes serious power

·
Registered
44 Posts
Gt3076R
Ball bearing, super good spool, fat power potential, reliable.

I hate you BTW. S1 Elise has been my dream forever. Enjoy in good health!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the nice comments!

Block is honed and matched to the new 88mm CP pistons, The crank is polished and i am waiting for the con rods to arrive so i can measure everything up to order the crank and main bearings.

What is the general consensus on the headgaskets, Bolts, and main bolts?
Cometic gasket and ARP headbolts? stock main studs (new unused)?

Turbo is now down to GT2871R or GTX2867 or a EFR6758, there is a big show comming up in europe (google motorshow Essen), and the best deal wins.

Now to open a can of worms.... E85
would the ECU of a Focus FFV be able to give decent performance on both E85 and 98ron? and any mixture of the 2?

thanks

·
FF Affiliate
31,098 Posts
I would do ARP head and main studs

My opinion of E85 here in the US is that is sucks , e85 is the only unregulated fuel sold at the pumps , being unregulated allows them to use up all the crap they have laying around and calling it e85 by doing this the octane is rarely higher then pump gas , your ECU wont felf adjust for e85 and 98 , your 98 is about our 93/94 I think

Whats your ECU code ?

Tom

·
Registered
403 Posts
IMO it is between the GTX2867r and the EFR6758. I wouldn't even mess with the gt2871r unless I could get it for next to nothing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Tom,

Yes you are correct about the fuel, US 93-94 is our 98 Ron. We also have 100-102 ron available at the pump. 100 in the Netherlands and Every time I go to drive the Nurburgring I use the 102 that is available in Germany.

I have no ecu, i started this build with only a stripped engine. If I am correct the ecu code should be 2S7A-12A650-AGA SUDO

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Whoops... You have just out asked me... Since you are the expert, which would you advise? I am more than willing to buy a second hand from a U.S. focus if that makes life easier while remapping..

·
FF Affiliate
31,098 Posts
If you get an early Duratec ECU that a tune can turn off the PATS then you wouldnt have to worry about the key and halo for the system

This would be the easiest way to change the ECU if thats what your wanting to do

Tom

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thanks Tom, ill consult you before purchasing one,

These came in today. So tomorrow to the machine shop to have them balanced, checked and measured so I can order the bearings.

Weight is 533 grams incl the bolts. And they are within 0.5grams
Kind regards
[/IMG]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts