Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...this seems a little bit high? Does anyone know of a place in the dfw area where I can get this done right for a good price? I can't do it myself - I've just got too much going on. I'm in the Denton area but if I have to travel in the dfw area so be it...

Thoughts/Advice?

·
Focalize!!!
3,889 Posts
Yea thats sounds REALLY expensive but probably because it is an interference motor good luck with belt!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not totally out of line if the price is "out the door" at the dealership, most anywhere decent will probably be around the $1k mark. Would recommend sourcing your own parts off Amazon/ RockAuto, when I did mine a years ago I got the complete Gates belt kit for around $100. Pretty straightforward if you have time/space/tools. No need to change the water pump unless it's leaking (have never seen one fail)... Can't recommend any shops, dealer is probably your safest bet if you cant DIY

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much for the feedback. If I have to go the dealer route at least I have a frame of reference now.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Well if you would have hit me up a week ago i could have done it while I was in decatur. Now if you want to make a drive for our march meet in houston then we could hook you up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank for the offer! I'm honestly so afraid to drive it that it's parked right now until I can get it done. I called a couple more places today for what it's worth and they were all in the 600-800 price range. One was another Ford dealer, and the other were ma and pa shops so I think the one I called was just high.

·
Deutsche Arsche
2,548 Posts
Doing one tonight.

·
Registered
81 Posts
No need to change the water pump unless it's leaking (have never seen one fail)...
Changing the water pump is cheap insurance if you're doing the timing belt, etc. As they have to dismantle everything anyway, the only additional cost is for the extra parts.

And yes, I learned this lesson the hard way with my 1988 Prelude. Had the timing belt and pulleys replaced at the recommended interval. Eight months later, started getting a water leak which I thought was from the A/C condenser (i.e. thought it was normal). Shortly thereafter, I noticed the engine was running hotter than usual, although I wasn't losing a noticeable amount of coolant.

When I took the car in for my next service, I mentioned this. My mechanic confirmed that my water pump had started to leak. So, $650 later, ......

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had my front crankshaft seal, timing belt, tensioner/pulley, cam seals, and valve cover gasket done today. I bought all the parts at Oreily's for a little over $200 and paid $351 labor. This was not at a dealer but a local shop here in Austin. I have a 2003 Focus ZX3. Hope this helps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts