Focus Fanatics Forum banner

My dealer refused to install 225/40/18 Winter tires on my 2014 ST

7233 Views 26 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  Elizabeth
So I had a long wait for my ordered new Focus ST3. I bought a set of Ford Racing wheels to use with Winter tires. I decided on Michelin Ice X3 but they do not come in the ST size tire of 235/40/18
So I got the 225/40/18
Turns into fiasco as dealer will NOT install the tires. Claiming the tires must be the original size.
I was completely blindsided, argued with them and Ford. (Person at Ford simply called dealer, and reiterated what the dealer said to me)
So not only do I have no Winter wheels, I am probably blacklisted with Ford at this point, since in my ranting the person felt I had 'insulted him' ??.

So I am returning the tires to Tire Rack. (Which STILL has 225/40/18 listed as an alternative size for the Focus ST.

The end result of this is I probably will not even do snow tires, and just leave the damn Summer Only tires on all Winter.
I was going to try that anyway, but peer pressure got me to change my mind. Seems the Universe had other plans for me then tooling around on Winter tires...
Some sort of lesson to be learned in all this. [hihi]

PS Tire Rack is being really nice about taking the tires back. So thanks Tire Rack. Sorry about the SNAFU.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK interesting..
Whiie on the phone with Michelin, the woman was talking about the 225/40/18 I bought were not the load rating required by the Ford ST. (which is 95 load rating)
So others said so what.. the car only weighs so much blah blah.

Then while she was talking i had a real epiphany.
It is the dynamic loads which are the reason for the ST higher requirement.
Going around a corner full tilt (which I love to do, a LOT) puts a much higher load on the outside tires.. especially the front one.
So IMO that is where the load rating comes in.

Suddenly I realize the service guy did me a big favor, and may have saved my miserable life.
So I am happy instead of pissed off.
I called him, and the dealer manager to say how I was an ass, and why the service guy was a hero.
Anyway, glad i did not just go find some dope to put the tires on.
Also the other tire place who also said do not use those tires.. And made me think well there must be some reason..

So yeah there was real reason. I guess I just focused on the size too much.
But now I know.

· Registered
4,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK interesting..
Whiie on the phone with Michelin, the woman was talking about the 225/40/18 I bought were not the load rating required by the Ford ST. (which is 95 load rating)
So others said so what.. the car only weighs so much blah blah.

Then while she was talking i had a real epiphany.
It is the dynamic loads which are the reason for the ST higher requirement.
Going around a corner full tilt (which I love to do, a LOT) puts a much higher load on the outside tires.. especially the front one.
So IMO that is where the load rating comes in.

Suddenly I realize the service guy did me a big favor, and may have saved my miserable life.
So I am happy instead of pissed off.
I called him and apologized, and the dealer manager to say how I was an ass, and why the service guy was a hero.
Anyway, glad i did not just go find some guy to put the tires on anyway.
Also the other tire place (O'Reilly Motor Cars 53212) who also said do not use those tires.. And made me think well there must be some reason..

So yeah there was real reason. I guess I just focused on the size too much.
But now I know. And you guys helped too. So thanks...

I also called my guy at Tire Rack to explain the load rating problem. He too thought it was not important.. So I made it clear the ONLY reason I called was to let him know why the service guy refused to install the tires. I do not know if he 'got it' or not.
Anyway... it matters.

· Registered
4,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why not think about the upside, and the good results, instead of the bad side??? Maybe you too could be 'happy' some of the time.
When I am angry, I am angry. When happy I am happy. Very ZEN.

At the worst I do not bury my head in the sand and pretend it is all OK.

· Registered
4,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The tires are on the way back to Tire Rack. I am asking them to give me a 100% refund since the tires were not correct for the car. (instead of a small return fee being charged.)
I am waffling between Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D, or Blizzak LM-32
The Dunlop ar an older design and the 4D ust not in my size) . The Bridgestone is the newest design of the correct fit tires.
Michelin Pilot Aspin PA3 were a third choice, but I do not like the tread look on those. Too smooth, with small sipes, not enough tread block for snow IMO. (also newer PA4 out, but not in my size)

Added Initially on the refund Tire Rack kept $81 for shipping and return shipping. I called and hey, the tires were not my failure, the dealer and the #1 Tire Rack installer here both said the tires are not suitable for the car. Seems that is a Tire Rack fail. (thier system said yes the tires were suitable.) So I asked for, (and I think am getting) a full refund including the shipping costs.
As for the tires I ordered to replace the returned ones.. They are in shipping limbo. No tracking from UPS so far. In theory I should be getting them Thursday.

· Registered
4,518 Posts
Can't rationalize with someone that has an epiphany.
Always a good idea to just ignore ratings I guess. Who needs them?
I can be my own expert. Guru supreme. No need for engineers to decide.. I can decide for myself.
Is that another epiphany? [sleeping]

Just curious what's in it for you to 'diss me for not wanting to keep tires which are not meeting the requirements?

· Registered
4,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I should have just accepted that you have poor reading comprehension instead of responding to your post. If you have no idea what you are actually writing about... Who am I to try to correct you?

· Registered
4,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
OK new info: finally got the new 235/40/18 Blizzak LM-32 tires on my black painted Ford Racing wheels and on the car.
Tire Rack gave me the refund for the wrong size tires.
So all is well.
I washed my Rado Grey wheels and tires off and stuck them in storage.

The Blizzak are way better than the Summer only tires though I have only been in small patches of snow. It all was pretty well cleared up overnight though we had 4" snow yesterday.
I plan on snow tires on car from Nov 20 to March 20 each year.
Keep the snows from being beaten on dry warm pavement.
(which has been said is the death of Blizzak treadlife)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.