Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had a long wait for my ordered new Focus ST3. I bought a set of Ford Racing wheels to use with Winter tires. I decided on Michelin Ice X3 but they do not come in the ST size tire of 235/40/18
So I got the 225/40/18
Turns into fiasco as dealer will NOT install the tires. Claiming the tires must be the original size.
I was completely blindsided, argued with them and Ford. (Person at Ford simply called dealer, and reiterated what the dealer said to me)
So not only do I have no Winter wheels, I am probably blacklisted with Ford at this point, since in my ranting the person felt I had 'insulted him' ??.

So I am returning the tires to Tire Rack. (Which STILL has 225/40/18 listed as an alternative size for the Focus ST.

The end result of this is I probably will not even do snow tires, and just leave the damn Summer Only tires on all Winter.
I was going to try that anyway, but peer pressure got me to change my mind. Seems the Universe had other plans for me then tooling around on Winter tires...
Some sort of lesson to be learned in all this. [hihi]

PS Tire Rack is being really nice about taking the tires back. So thanks Tire Rack. Sorry about the SNAFU.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
I still don't get why you're returning them when you could go to a different shop that will install them...

·
Registered
472 Posts
I had the same issues a few years back with my winter tires… Dealer wouldn't install them on my SVT because the size was not stock… It's obviously an issue where if you get in an accident with tires that were NOT the stock size, and they knew about it, and installed them, they could be at fault… it's obviously an issue that has happened, otherwise why would it be an issue?

I did exactly what Joeywhat said to do… took them to another shop, had them installed, and had NO issues during the winter.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Some just get stupid or don't want to be bothered looking up the optionals that work. Easier to say NO to anything that doesn't match exactly.

If they were making $ off it they'd do the extra work.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Why wouldn't you just go to another shop? Why return them? [facepalm]

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
If the door sticker doesn't agree with the tires that are on the car, the ambulance chasers start to salivate.

They would open themselves up to a liability if they mounted the "wrong" size car.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yep its all about liability these days, everyone has to cover their arse for fear of a law suit. Take the rims and tires to a tire store and have them installed. Both Belle Tire and Discount Tire have been good with me if I bring in rims and tires off the vehicle.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
Just take the wheels and tires to a different shop or Ford dealership. Dont even bother telling them what car they are going on, just tell them to mount the tires. I would not return the tires, way too much of a hassle. Going slightly more narrow is going to be beneficial in winter anyways, you made the right choice.

Putting tires on a car isnt something a dealership needs to do. Look on tirerack.com for their preferred installers and who has the best prices near you

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK interesting..
Whiie on the phone with Michelin, the woman was talking about the 225/40/18 I bought were not the load rating required by the Ford ST. (which is 95 load rating)
So others said so what.. the car only weighs so much blah blah.

Then while she was talking i had a real epiphany.
It is the dynamic loads which are the reason for the ST higher requirement.
Going around a corner full tilt (which I love to do, a LOT) puts a much higher load on the outside tires.. especially the front one.
So IMO that is where the load rating comes in.

Suddenly I realize the service guy did me a big favor, and may have saved my miserable life.
So I am happy instead of pissed off.
I called him, and the dealer manager to say how I was an ass, and why the service guy was a hero.
Anyway, glad i did not just go find some dope to put the tires on.
Also the other tire place who also said do not use those tires.. And made me think well there must be some reason..

So yeah there was real reason. I guess I just focused on the size too much.
But now I know.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK interesting..
Whiie on the phone with Michelin, the woman was talking about the 225/40/18 I bought were not the load rating required by the Ford ST. (which is 95 load rating)
So others said so what.. the car only weighs so much blah blah.

Then while she was talking i had a real epiphany.
It is the dynamic loads which are the reason for the ST higher requirement.
Going around a corner full tilt (which I love to do, a LOT) puts a much higher load on the outside tires.. especially the front one.
So IMO that is where the load rating comes in.

Suddenly I realize the service guy did me a big favor, and may have saved my miserable life.
So I am happy instead of pissed off.
I called him and apologized, and the dealer manager to say how I was an ass, and why the service guy was a hero.
Anyway, glad i did not just go find some guy to put the tires on anyway.
Also the other tire place (O'Reilly Motor Cars 53212) who also said do not use those tires.. And made me think well there must be some reason..

So yeah there was real reason. I guess I just focused on the size too much.
But now I know. And you guys helped too. So thanks...

I also called my guy at Tire Rack to explain the load rating problem. He too thought it was not important.. So I made it clear the ONLY reason I called was to let him know why the service guy refused to install the tires. I do not know if he 'got it' or not.
Anyway... it matters.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
How in the hell do you have so much trouble with paying someone to do their job.

Are you going to be flying around corners on your winter tires, probably not, and if you are then this comes into "Survival of the fittest".

Best of luck of letting people rule you around all life.

I mean this in a way that you probably know more about your car then a random tech. Most people don't pay attention to cars they have little interest in causing them to have invalid opinions. The tire size difference I could see being a issue at Ford, but they should have a waiver (my Ford does at least) or another tire shop and just bring the wheels and tires in instead of on your car.

Go get it Elizabeth!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
As long as you're happy...

~112 lb. capacity per corner difference wouldn't make the tires likely to 'pop" when cornering. Weight ratings have more to do with capability to carry a load over time at speed.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why not think about the upside, and the good results, instead of the bad side??? Maybe you too could be 'happy' some of the time.
When I am angry, I am angry. When happy I am happy. Very ZEN.

At the worst I do not bury my head in the sand and pretend it is all OK.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Were I to find myself in such a situation, I'd rather deal with someone not willing to make a possibly questionable modification on my car than have to deal with my insurance company not willing to pay a claim later on, even if said modification had nothing to do with the crash said claim resulted from.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
w.r.t. load rating. they are required to carry the load at the top speed as per your speed rating. and then they build in a large safey factor. like 2 or 3 times more. you cornering forces is orders of magnitute lower than that.

i would have just found another shop.
but i take my life into my own hands. its a miracle i've made it these 32 years......

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
The load rating of a tire is also dependent on tire pressure.

If you're not at full sidewall pressure, your load rating will be less.

The load capacity is roughly linear.

Say your tire is rated at 2000lbs at 50psi.

You use 40psi, the load rating now is roughly 1600lbs.

Your new tire is 1800lbs at 50psi,

You need 44.44 psi to have the new tire at 1600lbs.

As long as you can raise the tire pressure (staying below max pressure), you'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Why not think about the upside, and the good results, instead of the bad side??? Maybe you too could be 'happy' some of the time.
When I am angry, I am angry. When happy I am happy. Very ZEN.

At the worst I do not bury my head in the sand and pretend it is all OK.
Answered in another thread as well, decent outcome that isn't going to cost you is good. "as long as you're happy" might not sound positive enough, after all your worries coming to a happy resolution is a real plus.

Comments that your first choice wouldn't lead to disaster are meant to be reassuring, no "pretending it is all OK" involved.

Quite happy you decided on winter tires, tip toe around on summer performance ones in a Wisconsin winter wouldn't work as well & I'm not afraid to voice that opinion. Backed up that opinion with my own Winter tire purchase, my Focus will be used more than once or twice this winter so it has a dedicated set on now.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
The tires are on the way back to Tire Rack. I am asking them to give me a 100% refund since the tires were not correct for the car. (instead of a small return fee being charged.)
I am waffling between Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D, or Blizzak LM-32
The Dunlop ar an older design and the 4D ust not in my size) . The Bridgestone is the newest design of the correct fit tires.
Michelin Pilot Aspin PA3 were a third choice, but I do not like the tread look on those. Too smooth, with small sipes, not enough tread block for snow IMO. (also newer PA4 out, but not in my size)

Added Initially on the refund Tire Rack kept $81 for shipping and return shipping. I called and hey, the tires were not my failure, the dealer and the #1 Tire Rack installer here both said the tires are not suitable for the car. Seems that is a Tire Rack fail. (thier system said yes the tires were suitable.) So I asked for, (and I think am getting) a full refund including the shipping costs.
As for the tires I ordered to replace the returned ones.. They are in shipping limbo. No tracking from UPS so far. In theory I should be getting them Thursday.

·
I used to drive this
3,342 Posts
w.r.t. load rating. they are required to carry the load at the top speed as per your speed rating. and then they build in a large safey factor. like 2 or 3 times more. you cornering forces is orders of magnitute lower than that.

i would have just found another shop.
but i take my life into my own hands. its a miracle i've made it these 32 years......

Can't rationalize with someone that has an epiphany.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts