Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... I got my Cossie header today and I am so excited and very happy. I was actually going to install it today but I think I should wait that way I can get an additional tune for the header since the tunes I have on the car now are for intake and exhaust only.... [:)]

My question is... how would I go about getting a new tune for my SCT XCAL2 for the header??? I just got the flasher like 2 days ago so whats should I do??? [:)] I can't get the smile off my face... I am so excited about it and also I have the focussport sport system with the 2nd CAT deleted so when I put this header on I know it's going to LOUD so what can I do that can quiet it down thats not going to cost me an arm and a leg???

·
Registered
815 Posts
I think FS exhaust system has a silensor for your exhaust.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well I am going to be getting new piping soon so I can have a 2.5"... and hopefully they do.

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
I've put a lot of thought into a header and exhaust system myself. Now I'm not sure what you want to do, and since you're in salty territory, you might want to go with SS piping and mufflers. That puts a bummer of a spin on things because I have YET to find a SS glasspack at the usual parts suppliers. Anyway, I'll run through some of this for you so maybe it will help you out.

First off, I'm not too big on removing cats without replacing cats in road vehicles. I have my reasons- knowing the air quality in Alaska while in Hong Kong on a windless day gave me reason to think. That being said, it's hard to find a good cat that isn't going to cause some blockage of some sort.

There are high-flow cats that aren't CARB approved, but will do something. Dynamax makes one in every exhaust size for $160 from Summit. I wouldn't put a system together without everything being the same size and number, so two of those would be needed behind the header. Flex pipes are a good idea also to reduce road vibration strains on header's gaskets. Resonators are basically glasspacks, but hard to find in SS. I do not know for sure, but Tru-Bendz advertises an add on resonator with their systems for $60. It would be worthwhile to ask them if it came in SS. Now comes the muffler problem. Not much fits in the space where the Focus muffler is mounted on a Duratec. I did find a Magnaflow 3 chamber muffler that would fit, and should be a quieter choice than the standard Magnaflow. It took some reading, but Summit sells it too. If it's still not quiet enough, you can always use a resonated tip.

You might want to do some measuring behind the rear wheels also. In a wagon, I can fit a Flowmaster 50 Delta2 after the rear wheels. I'm not sure how much space is behind the rear wheels of a sedan so you're on your own measuring that. A 60 Delta would be a good muffler and is made for sport compacts, but only comes in 2.25. I wouldn't go with a 40, some of the new ones might be better sounding, but the older 40's were loud and without the benefits of larger FM's.

I hope I helped, but basically I think the only way to keep a Duratec somewhat quiet (depending on your opinion of quiet) with a header is put some kind of muffler or resonator in every available place in the exhaust system. I'd try to stick with high flow mufflers all around, like the Flowmasters and glasspacks. There are even some better mufflers out there to consider, but not many that fit in the stock location. Gibson mufflers, for example, won't fit ANYWHERE and neither will Dynomax because they are so large. There are also spiral type mufflers that can be small in size and could be used as resonators, and I think a company named Pro-Flo makes some in SS.

Best of luck [thumb]

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Sharon you suck!

·
Registered
859 Posts
When you ordered the XCAL2 did you tell them you were getting a header? If so, your tunes should be fine. If not, whoever you bought it from should be able to sell you updated tunes.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't tell him I was getting a header because I wasn't expecting to get it so soon.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok all of you that posted helped out a LOT... but I still have some lingering questions....

1. when I go get the piping replaced with 2.5" piping so I am not choking the 2.3's cossie header will the resonator thingy that came with focussport's sport system still be ok to use... cause it actually looks bigger than 2.25" piping... but even if it is 2.25" piping it should be ok since it is strait through right???

2. WNTWN said that I could just put a muffler in every spot I could place one... well I don't want a coffee can at the back of my car so is there absolutely anything I can do besides get a big muffler at the back of my car??? I need an answer on how to quiet it down soon because as soon as I get my answer I can prolly get my header put on.

·
Registered
859 Posts
WickedlyFastST said:
ok all of you that posted helped out a LOT... but I still have some lingering questions....

1. when I go get the piping replaced with 2.5" piping so I am not choking the 2.3's cossie header will the resonator thingy that came with focussport's sport system still be ok to use... cause it actually looks bigger than 2.25" piping... but even if it is 2.25" piping it should be ok since it is strait through right???

2. WNTWN said that I could just put a muffler in every spot I could place one... well I don't want a coffee can at the back of my car so is there absolutely anything I can do besides get a big muffler at the back of my car??? I need an answer on how to quiet it down soon because as soon as I get my answer I can prolly get my header put on.
Sounds like you are the fast path to Franken-exhaust! You might consider selling your 2.25 FS exhaust and buying real 2.5 (i.e., Borla). Or maybe it's time to find a reputable muffler/exhaust shop - considering you don't want a muffler sticking out the rear and are concerned about how loud it would be. They could help you pick out a good muffler/resonator combo and then custom bend you 2.5 inch pipe as needed.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well couldn't an exhaust shop cut out the 2.25" piping and then replace it with 2.5 inches and then just buy a nice resonator... but then again thats just like buying a whole new exhaust system minus the muffler... OMG would I REALLY be choking the motor with the focussport system since I have the 2.25" piping???

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
does going from 4 1&7/8ths pipes that is your header down to a whee little 2.25 exhaust make sense to you?
You have the biggest header on the market with the smallest exhaust.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
would it maybe be a good idea to buy the trubenz piping 2.5 inch and just have them weld that piping in???

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
WickedlyFastST said:
well couldn't an exhaust shop cut out the 2.25" piping and then replace it with 2.5 inches and then just buy a nice resonator... but then again thats just like buying a whole new exhaust system minus the muffler... OMG would I REALLY be choking the motor with the focussport system since I have the 2.25" piping???
Yes it's probably choking it some, but it will still run. Really, that header is race only stuff, so if you want to get the max power out of it, you need the race only exhaust. With that being said, expect a race only sound. Ever been to a NASCAR (non-athletic sport centered around rednecks, like me [thumb]) race? Those cars will make you deaf even in the nosebleed section.

An exhaust shop could make a larger size system for you, however it would most likely not be mandrel bent, and there would be some crushing of the pipes in at the bends. Some shops might be willing to purchase pre-bent mandrel 90's and 45's to be welded in place, but that might get expensive. I think if this is your eventual purpose, you should consider purchasing a pre-bent system from Tru-Bendz with or without a muffler- they use Magna-flow, and then having a shop install the system.

IF it were my car, I'd just install the header and see what happens. Two things are for sure, the car is going to be more powerful than it is, and it's going to be louder than it is. This will give you some kind of idea of what to expect from a 2.5" system with one muffler and one resonator.

I never suggested a "fart can". Also, I consider rednecks to be caucasians who work in the sun, not the more neo-nazist definition the non-southern US world has.

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
WickedlyFastST said:
would it maybe be a good idea to buy the trubenz piping 2.5 inch and just have them weld that piping in???
Are you using your psychic powers to read my mind again??? [unsure]

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm actually looking at the trubendz website right now.

I would probably use the muffler that the focussport system came with and then get a nice quiet resonator.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The only thing I am thinking is a few people have told me that a 2 1/4 piping will not really choke the car one because it is only 1/4 difference and two is beause my exhaust is STRAIT through... no restrictions.

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
Not if you're moving up to 2.25" piping because the internals of the muffler are built around 2.25. You would want a muffler and resonator sized to your pipe. You can also go up to 3", but I'd imagine that it would sound somewhat hollow at idle- maybe not. It would be nice if someone with a 3" exhaust on a Duratec would tell provide a sound clip, or give an opinion.

I'm in the same conundrum now that I have an MBRP exhaust that is both too loud and deleted my 2nd cat- which is really my fault for doing it that way.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
WickedlyFastST said:
The only thing I am thinking is a few people have told me that a 2 1/4 piping will not really choke the car one because it is only 1/4 difference and two is beause my exhaust is STRAIT through... no restrictions.
That 1/4 inch in difference is a lot more than you think. There is almost a 25% increase in cross-sectional area.

2.25" pipe = (2.25/2)^2 * pi = 3.976 sq. in.
2.5" pipe = (2.5/2)^2 * pi = 4.909 sq. in.

4.909/3.976*100 = 123.45%

Now, that aside, what are you supporting modifications? Cams? Intake manifold? Compression?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts