Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when it's at idle, stop and go trafiic, I rises to the red zone, I think is the resistor pack, Went to ford dealer and they don't have the exact replacement, here are the pics of the resistor pack:

Does anyone have the same resistor pack? part # or any info? thanks for your help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Check the thermostat housing, they are quite renown for going out in focus's. From the pic the resistor doesnt looked burnt up or anything...but pic to actuality is night and day. If it is the thermostat housing you might as well replace the thermostat as well. Is coolant leaking any where by chance?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, the housing and thermostat are brand new, no leak at all, this is a pic of the old housing one

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Does the fan turn on?

Turn the Air Conditioner on. If the fan goes on with the AC, see if it stops overheating. If it does, the fan control is faulty somewhere.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
its not over heating when driving so while thats not definitive i would guess the front blower moto resistor aswell

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the funny thing is that when it gets close to the red zone, if I press the gas and hold it steady at 1600-2000 rpms the temp drops and the needle returns tho the center, please don't tell me is the water pump.

·
Registered
52 Posts
the funny thing is that when it gets close to the red zone, if I press the gas and hold it steady at 1600-2000 rpms the temp drops and the needle returns tho the center, please don't tell me is the water pump.
I think it is!!!! you can also check your serpentine belt, if loose it might be problem !!!! Resisitor pack is for fan/blower speed. How old your car is??? what milage??? If about 100k, it's good to replace timming belt and tensioner also. Everything's located in one place!!!!!

·
Registered
784 Posts
Had the exact same problem. Most of the time the resistor pack goes out. More importantly is the wiring pigtail that connects to it. Mine was completely melted and corroded. Go to ford and purchase a new resistor and the wiring connector for it. They should know what you're talking about. Just cut off the old plug and use the crimp connectors to connect the new one. Good as new.

·
Registered
2017 Focus 1.0 Ecoboost 2003 Focus ZTW
271 Posts
JCPMZX3, when the car sits idling and begins to run hot, does the fan come on?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went to the dealer and they want 74 dlls for the resistor pack and 56 dlls for the connector, are the prices too high?

·
Registered
156 Posts
They are, indeed. Ok, why don't you let your car get hot and open the hood while it idles and check if the fan works. Sometimes the problem is in the switch or relay that controls the fan, not in the resistor pack, you should check it, before buying anything.

Those parts can be found in other stores for less money for sure.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
yea thats way to much money, f5rz-8lc603-ac thats the part number. for the right one.
i believe there are two diff. resistors one in the dash and one in the fans(you want the one in the fans), also if you wires apear to look alright i dont really think you need to replace them (wouldnt hurt anything if you had the money) i didnt replace mine and have had no problems sence. i think it cost about 30 bucks but i cant remeber. hope it all works out for ya.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The resistor pack in the glovebox controls the A/C fan I think, so that's not the one you should be looking. 30 dollars sounds a lot more fair.

·
Registered
784 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts