Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is a 2003 with a 2L Zetech engine.
I got it at 99K, it now has 116,800miles. It had a new clutch put in at 88k. It has body issues dents and such, but not a lot of rust.
I was driving down the highway at about 60mph and it started loosing power like bad gas/fuel issues. I stepped on the gas and it did not go like it should. A few miles down the road it started to rapidly slow down more so then coasting, as if a wheel bearing went out. I tried to take it out of 5th gear and it would not go out of gear. The shifter was stuck in place. After coming to a stop I was able to pry the gear out of 5th. But it did not want to go back into 1st 2nd 5th or reverse. I then tried to let my car idle but it acted like it wanted to go backwards. It is mostly frozen in place, if I rev it up and drop the clutch it will move forward in 1st but will stop after a tire turn or so. Same with reverse. The front wheels are locked even in neutral. If I press in the clutch, the motor runs fine but stalls as soon as I release the clutch in any gear. Car was making a small noise in neutral for a long time but the noise would go away when the clutch was pressed in. It also was sometimes difficult to slide it into 5 gear and 1st and 2nd gear for at least 10k miles. But not every time. Sometimes it would shift fine. I figured the linkages needed to be adjusted or something. The Tow truck driver offered $75 for scrap metal, but I have not yet sent the title. Should I be thinking of salvaging it??? At this point I think I HATE FORD for life. My Taurus auto v6 transmission went out at 184k and after a rebuild the transmission cooling lines went out at 220k and the lack of ATF killed the rebuild, it went to the junkyard for about $110, at this point I think it reflect poorly on Ford. Should I sell it for scrap, pay to store it and sell the parts, or try to fix it? It is a two hour tow to any family's place so the towing it could be costly. The shop near where it broke had a 4.9 star review, and told me they would fix it for $1000, but its only worth $1400 I think. I think I only paid $1100 for it and it only got me 17,000 miles so far. Is a MK1 clutch plate easy to fix if I have a puller? The front wheels might be locked so tow strapping it is a bad idea. At this point should I just be saving up for a nicer hatchback? (Maybe a Honda this time) Advise appreciated!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
First off there's plenty of Honda's, Toyota's, Nissan's and every other make that has problems. I'm actually researching used cars for my parents right now even Toyota Camrys have transmission failures at very early mileage.

Part of having a car with a manual transmission is you may have to get a new clutch kit put in it. I would replace everything that has to do with the clutch. Clutch disc, pressure plate the hydraulic system for it everything. I would definitely check the transmission fluid first though if it is full of metal your transmission could be toast and probably not worth fixing.

Definitely not Ford's fault that a Ford Taurus needed a transmission rebuild at 184,000 miles that's pretty darn decent mileage. I've been working on cars my whole life before I was even able to drive legally all cars have problems especially when they're old. You should look up all the Hondas that had transmission failures automatic and manual.

Used car prices are insane right now off the chart nuts.

The transmission has to be removed to replace the clutch you don't use a puller. And no a clutch job is not easy I've done a few it's not fun.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have a spare 2.0l and MTX 75 sitting in my garage just waiting for someone who has had enough .. and doesn't want to go through the hassle of troubleshooting and repair. let me know if your close to Atlanta … might be worth a trip.

That sucks about only getting 120,000 miles out of her. On my 2008 focus I think I got that many miles before I had to do anything to her … including wear item likes front brakes. The person you bought it from must have been young and dogged it out.

Right now your only a grand into this. I would cut bait and start looking for another ride. The clutch isn't that bad to replace .. but you should replace everything .. including flywheel to be on the safe side. That will run you close to another grand ... and if it has been dogged out something else is probably going fail.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It broke down near Gaylord on I75 in MI, so kind of out of the way for you I would think. Its sad, it had a brand new clutch put in by a shade tree, just before I bought it. To bad they did not put the extra parts into it. Do a 800 job and save a few hundred on flywheel, plate, and maybe bearings. Why not change everything within reach while it is out. Same thing with the water-pump, they changed the water-pump, why not change the timing belt? Ya, I am going to save up and get something a bit nicer, maybe a 2012 Honda fit. Tomorrow I am buying a mountain bike, that should get me everywhere I need to go until I can get my Suzuki on the road this spring. I just wanted to make sure it was not wourth putting the money into before I scrap it. :-( Would have been nice if it would have lasted until 200K, I was taking such good care of her. Just painted the underbelly so that it would be more rust resistant this winter. But even with paint and such I have less then 1250 into it before GAS/Registration/Extortion.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a spare 2.0l and MTX 75 sitting in my garage just waiting for someone who has had enough .. and doesn't want to go through the hassle of troubleshooting and repair. let me know if your close to Atlanta … might be worth a trip.

That sucks about only getting 120,000 miles out of her. On my 2008 focus I think I got that many miles before I had to do anything to her … including wear item likes front brakes. The person you bought it from must have been young and dogged it out.

Right now your only a grand into this. I would cut bait and start looking for another ride. The clutch isn't that bad to replace .. but you should replace everything .. including flywheel to be on the safe side. That will run you close to another grand ... and if it has been dogged out something else is probably going fail.
I see, you want me to come pick up a replacement transmission? Does not seem worth it, how much are you looking to get out of it, and how many miles does it have on it? It would be difficult for me to go get it, I would need to barrow or rent a car.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I see, you want me to come pick up a replacement transmission? Does not seem worth it, how much are you looking to get out of it, and how many miles does it have on it? It would be difficult for me to go get it, I would need to barrow or rent a car.
If you where closer I would come get your shell and put my motor and tranny in it. I would give you more than scrap value ... but your a little far away

1 - 7 of 7 Posts