Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pretty much stock SVT focus. Suspension is stock (except for whats in my sig) and just over 70k miles.

My trouble is that besides the front sway bar shifting out of center from track days and clunking quite annoyingly (I even moved it thinking I centered it and now clunks on the opposite side) the car crashes over bumps with such a WHACK! that it feels like the windshield might crack.

The front suspension looks like it has settled a bit but its still a decent height sort of like eibach height.

It still rides nice and doesn't bound up and down like a car with blown shocks/dampers would. The ride is still very controlled.

So does anyone else have this problem? Does you svt smack/bottom out over bumps that just arent that big to produce such a hit? It seems much worse than it ever was now.

Could it be possible that my struts have lost all compression dampening and it is making it easy to bottom out?

I can't take this anymore. It feels like I am hurting my car and it's downright embarrassing when I have a passenger with me. I was cringing at every bump or dip I might drive over on the highway on the streets of manhattan.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Original struts with 70K miles on them is your problem. They're tied out and need to be replaced. A fresh set of four SVT shocks can be bought for less than 170.00 from several site vendors. That's a very good deal.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
X2 on that verdict

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is a good deal!

I thought about it a while and had a feeling it was my dampers. It is just weird that the car doesn't bound up and down like you would normally associate with worn dampers. It's the only way the car could bottom out so badly over bumps.

I could definitely tell when the dampers went on my old SVT Contour. Maybe it is because the SVT Focus is much more stiffly sprung and a lighter car?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
to me it does sound like there might be another problem than just worn shocks. you should have a close look underneath to make sure evertything is still boltedup and there is no play in the tierods, endlinks, check for broken springs, etc.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh I have been under the car a couple times recently and everything is rock solid. I just can't figure out where the hell my sway bar makes contact with whatever it is hitting. It looks perfectly centered. The end links are both almost vertical and not tilted to the left or right.

But the bottoming out is a complete seperate issue. The sway bar clunks on little bumps just on the left hand side. But on medium bumps the car slams/crashes like there is no tomorrow on both sides. When I mean medium bumps I am talking I-95 in new england. Nothing that will damage a wheel or anything severe like that.

I'm just going to replace the dampers and see if it fixes the problem. And maybe someday I'll be able to figure out where the sway bar is clunking too.

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,842 Posts
interesting enough i enjoyed the svt suspension kits more then my eibach one i have now... its interesting to me how well that kit handles just might go back to it...

·
.....NObama.....
1,875 Posts
I have a similar problem actually... I have KYB AGX struts and Goldline springs. I don't know if I would like the SVT kit as much as a different setup like the FRPP...

I want good handling but not a terrible ride. I like the 1.5" ride height as well.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
That is a good deal!

I thought about it a while and had a feeling it was my dampers. It is just weird that the car doesn't bound up and down like you would normally associate with worn dampers. It's the only way the car could bottom out so badly over bumps.

I could definitely tell when the dampers went on my old SVT Contour. Maybe it is because the SVT Focus is much more stiffly sprung and a lighter car?

Thanks
A shock has valving for rebound as well as compression. While its common for both to wear and show failure at about the same time, its conceivable that your rebound stroke valving is working better than the compression stroke thus less bouncy bouncy. The rebound stroke tends to be a little longer than the compression stroke as well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, dont get me wrong. Before this all start happening, the car has always handled beautifully and I am more than surprised how composed the ride is right now in its current state.

Between every day driving, track days, and autocross the SVT suspension is an overall excellent package. I will probably go up to the progress 22mm rear sway bar but thats it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts