Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My arbitration case with Ford has concluded. The short version = I won. Ford had to buy the car back from me.

The long version is below:

2012 Ford Focus SE with the DCT. Just under 60,000km when the arbitration process was started. In Canada we don’t have a “Lemon Law”, but consumers do have the option of going to CAMVAP (Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan) if they feel the manufacturer has provided a defective product and refuses to or is unable to fix the vehicle. CAMVAP is an independent 3rd party that provides binding arbitration. Feel free to read more on their website.

My issues leading to the date of the arbitration process:

-Car suffered complete loss of power on 400 series highway during rush hour. The motor was still running, but the transmission had disengaged. This highway is 100km/h and 4 lanes wide in each direction. I was in the left lane coming up on my exit to the left. There is no shoulder on the left, so had to cross all 4 lanes in neutral. Dealer could recreate the problem on test drive. When the technician opened up the transmission bellhousing, he noted it was full of metal shavings and pieces of clutch. Dealer replaced the clutch, oil seals, and gear actuators. Also – no oil had contaminated the clutch.

-Car was fine for a couple of months, then started making the grinding noise many of us know so well. Dealer said “Some mechanical noise is normal. Your car is fine.”.

-Another month or two go buy and car begins shifting very hard, hard shudder, etc. Dealer reprograms transmission, but again says “This is normal. Your car is fine.”.

-I read about TSB 14-0047 on Focus fanatics and take the car in. Car measures close to 400RPM and qualifies for a new clutch. Again. Grinding noise goes away and car drives normally...for a while.

-Grinding noise comes back a few months later. Hard shifting and shudder return. I wait a few months to take the car back because I know it must be fairly bad for them to do any repair. When I take the car in, it again measures over 250RPM and gets a new clutch #3. My questions about why this keeps happening go unanswered.

-I used every avenue available to speak with Ford about my car and the frequency of repairs. Clearly this isn't normal. No response from Ford other then to help document my case.

-I started this thread: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=462089 hoping I could learn something about the issues my car has been having. Clearly after 3 replacement clutches in 2 years, the clutch isn't the source of the problem.

-5 days after clutch replacement number 3 the car begins making grinding noise again. This time significantly worse than before. Also accompanied by a loss of power feeling during the grinding noise (like a stutter or engine misfire). All symptoms I just mentioned are noted by the dealer and I am told “This is normal. Take your car home.”. I must mention at this point that the grinding is significantly worse than I’ve experienced to date. Honestly, any idiot that drove this car in this condition would know something was wrong. Scary is how I would describe it. Here is a poor quality cell phone video of the car lightly accelerating from a stop. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gMg...ature=youtu.be

-Flabbergasted by Ford’s response that “Everything is fine”, in August 2014 I file a CAMVAP claim. I stop driving the car and park it.

-The process takes a few months. We have a formal hearing with the arbitrator and a representative from Ford. The three of us take the car for a test drive and note the grinding and hard shifting, etc. One of my main points is that this car had disengaged the transmission on the highway before and may do it again. Giving the grinding, shuddering, etc. I did not believe it to be safe. During the 3.5 hour hearing Ford’s stance remains unchanged. “This is normal for this transmission. Everything is fine. It is safe to drive”.

-The arbitrator orders a technical inspection of the car by an independent third party. During the inspection the symptoms of shudder, grinding, etc. are noted. In his report the inspector basically said given the cars history, and the symptoms he noted during his inspection, that the car likely had underlying issues and that the transmission, clutch, electronics, etc. should be examined and diagnosed individually to identify the root cause of the repeated clutch failures, hard shifting, etc.

This is where things get interesting:

-After the technical inspection I drove the car back to work and park it for the rest of the day. At the end of the day I hope in and try to start it. Won’t start. I’ve got battery power, but the starter won’t kick over. I was heading out that evening for my wife’s birthday, and had plans for the whole weekend, so I just said “screw it” and left the car at work for the weekend. Monday after work I expected to call a tow truck, but when I turned the key, the car started without issue. Great! I hop in the car and get on the highway. 5 minutes later as I am starting to merge to the left lane for my exit, the car again looses all power. Warning lights on the dash pop up, chimes are ringing, a message on the cluster says “hill start assist not available” (I read that after I stopped). Traffic is really heavy and I have to aggressively cut people off to get to the right shoulder. I’m very serious when I say I was close to causing an accident. The car comes to a stop literally in the exact same spot as the last time this happened. Same scenario – I leave work, get on the highway, and as traffic starts to open up a bit and I accelerate to roughly 100km/h, the transmission disengages. Car is now coasting like in neutral, though the engine is still running. Lots of chimes and warning lights on the dash.

-I would like to stress that when I filed the original claim, my main concern was safety. I’ve been adamant the car was not safe to drive, and ford was adamant it was safe to drive. I literally drove it three times after filing the claim. I drove it the night before the hearing (to make sure the battery was charged, etc.), the day of the hearing and the day of the technical inspection as ordered. Unfortunately I was correct about the safety issue. As I said before, any idiot driving this car following the 3rd clutch replacement could easily see there was a major problem.

-I called Ford road side assistance and get the car towed to the dealer. The dealer was easily able to replicate the problem (again, only on the highway at 100km/h+). This time they changed the transmission control module. The dealer never called me with an update or to tell me my car is ready. Several days later I head over to the dealership and speak with them. They say "Your car is ready and can be driven home". “Ya right. Not risking my life again.” I leave the car until 11:00pm that night and drive home on surface streets to minimize the risk if the transmission disengages. The grinding noise was still present, and the hard shifting was as bad as ever. Moderate acceleration from a stop sometimes results in a clutch drop hard enough to spin the tires on dry pavement. I still don’t think this car is fixed. It is like driving with a kid learning to drive standard. I’ve driven about a dozen Focus’, and never have I been in a Focus as bad as mine.

-Unfortunately, since this latest issue happened after the hearing and after the technical inspection (on the way home from the technical inspection!), it wasn’t taken into consideration with my claim. Thankfully, they ruled in my favour regardless based on the evidence presented at the hearing and the technical inspector’s report. Ford now has possession of the vehicle and I have received my payout. I won’t give the exact dollar amount (you can run the calculation on the CAMVAP website if you like), but it is a bit more then market value, and less then the new purchase price.

The arbitration process was like going to court. I had to present evidence, I could call witnesses, etc. Ford had the opportunity to cross examine witnesses, provide their own evidence, etc. During the hearing Ford didn't provide any evidence of their own and focused on disputing my evidence and witness accounts. Ford's statements were all along the lines of "Your car was operating normally and some mechanical noise, rough shifting, etc. is normal for this type of transmission". Ford's representative at the hearing was a professional and has been through this many many times. As I am not a lawyer, I was a bit out-gunned. But in the end I think the evidence and the 3rd party technical inspector's report told the story.

I was told the car will be sold at auction and has been branded “salvage” or something similar. This branding will remain on the car’s registration forever.

I’m happy I won and can close the door on this. It has been a long and stressful 2.5 years with this car.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
I wonder why they didn't replaced the whole (not clutch pack) DCT trans & modules with a brand new revised one... and be done with this...

Yet this ended with a buy back ... well the story finish well for you but leave a bad taste in the mouth for a Ford product...

I'm sure you will never consider again a Ford product from now on!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wonder why they didn't replaced the whole (not clutch pack) DCT trans & modules with a brand new revised one... and be done with this...

Yet this ended with a buy back ... well the story finish well for you but leave a bad taste in the mouth for a Ford product...

I'm sure you will never consider again a Ford product from now on!
I've been wondering the same thing for a long time now.

Also, even though CAMVAP is an independent 3rd party, the entire CAMVAP process is paid for by the manufacturer (no cost to the consumer). I can't imagine the cost for the arbitrator (an independent lawyer), Ford's rep or the technical inspector. Each were flown in from other cities for their part in this process. This whole thing seemed like a giant waste of money.

Oh - I also have a 2011 F150. Though I have no problems with it and I've been happy overall, I'll be selling it in the spring and replacing with something that isn't a Ford.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Oh - I also have a 2011 F150. Though I have no problems with it and I've been happy overall, I'll be selling it in the spring and replacing with something that isn't a Ford.
Please not a Honda Ridgeline loll

Seriously IMO i'd avoid GM and Chrysler for pickup

GM their product are rated by recalls per miles [grinking]

And Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep meh...

Ford cars and trucks are different branch IMO

F-150 are the world best selling trucks and are golden compared to the Focus line.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

F-150 are the world best selling trucks and are golden compared to the Focus line.
I couldn't agree more. But I kind of feel like a hypocrite you know? I realize that is a stupid reason to buy another truck. I'll sit on this decision until the spring and see how I feel. Making a large purchase based on emotions never works out well.

I always liked the Tundra. I test drove a new one the other day and they have come a long way with the interior. Gas mileage still sucks on them though.

I looked at Dodge and "meh" is right. I won't even look at a GM.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
I couldn't agree more. But I kind of feel like a hypocrite you know? I realize that is a stupid reason to buy another truck. I'll sit on this decision until the spring and see how I feel. Making a large purchase based on emotions never works out well.

I always liked the Tundra. I test drove a new one the other day and they have come a long way with the interior. Gas mileage still sucks on them though.

I looked at Dodge and "meh" is right. I won't even look at a GM.
It's not like there is a customer black list at Ford and say don't sell a car to x person or do crappy service to x person !!

Toyota trucks are a work horse but price tag is higher on Import trucks vs domestic tho.

Whatever the purchase you make as long as you feel great about it... that's what matters!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Sorry to hear that you had to go through all of that and Ford working so hard against you with all of that evidence on your side. When I got my TCM replaced, Ford Corporate was not very helpful either, although my dealer did what they could.

It's too bad because Ford does have some great vehicles, but my customer and dependability experience with them have not been good at all.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
My arbitration case with Ford has concluded. The short version = I won. Ford had to buy the car back from me.

2012 Ford Focus SE with the DCT. Just under 60,000km when the arbitration process was started. In Canada we don’t have a “Lemon Law”, but consumers do have the option of going to CAMVAP (Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan) if they feel the manufacturer has provided a defective product and refuses to or is unable to fix the vehicle. CAMVAP is an independent 3rd party that provides binding arbitration. Feel free to read more on their website.

-Car suffered complete loss of power on 400 series highway during rush hour. The motor was still running, but the transmission had disengaged. This highway is 100km/h and 4 lanes wide in each direction. I was in the left lane coming up on my exit to the left. There is no shoulder on the left, so had to cross all 4 lanes in neutral. Dealer could recreate the problem on test drive. When the technician opened up the transmission bellhousing, he noted it was full of metal shavings and pieces of clutch. Dealer replaced the clutch, oil seals, and gear actuators. Also – no oil had contaminated the clutch.

-Car was fine for a couple of months, then started making the grinding noise many of us know so well. Dealer said “Some mechanical noise is normal. Your car is fine.”.

-Another month or two go buy and car begins shifting very hard, hard shudder, etc. Dealer reprograms transmission, but again says “This is normal. Your car is fine.”.

-I read about TSB 14-0047 on Focus fanatics and take the car in. Car measures close to 400RPM and qualifies for a new clutch. Again. Grinding noise goes away and car drives normally...for a while.

-Grinding noise comes back a few months later. Hard shifting and shudder return. I wait a few months to take the car back because I know it must be fairly bad for them to do any repair. When I take the car in, it again measures over 250RPM and gets a new clutch #3. My questions about why this keeps happening go unanswered.

-I used every avenue available to speak with Ford about my car and the frequency of repairs. Clearly this isn't normal. No response from Ford other then to help document my case.

-I started this thread: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=462089 hoping I could learn something about the issues my car has been having. Clearly after 3 replacement clutches in 2 years, the clutch isn't the source of the problem.

-5 days after clutch replacement number 3 the car begins making grinding noise again. This time significantly worse than before. Also accompanied by a loss of power feeling during the grinding noise (like a stutter or engine misfire). All symptoms I just mentioned are noted by the dealer and I am told “This is normal. Take your car home.”. I must mention at this point that the grinding is significantly worse than I’ve experienced to date. Honestly, any idiot that drove this car in this condition would know something was wrong. Scary is how I would describe it. Here is a poor quality cell phone video of the car lightly accelerating from a stop. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gMg...ature=youtu.be

-Flabbergasted by Ford’s response that “Everything is fine”, in August 2014 I file a CAMVAP claim. I stop driving the car and park it.

-The process takes a few months. We have a formal hearing with the arbitrator and a representative from Ford. The three of us take the car for a test drive and note the grinding and hard shifting, etc. One of my main points is that this car had disengaged the transmission on the highway before and may do it again. Giving the grinding, shuddering, etc. I did not believe it to be safe. During the 3.5 hour hearing Ford’s stance remains unchanged. “This is normal for this transmission. Everything is fine. It is safe to drive”.

-The arbitrator orders a technical inspection of the car by an independent third party. During the inspection the symptoms of shudder, grinding, etc. are noted. In his report the inspector basically said given the cars history, and the symptoms he noted during his inspection, that the car likely had underlying issues and that the transmission, clutch, electronics, etc. should be examined and diagnosed individually to identify the root cause of the repeated clutch failures, hard shifting, etc.

-After the technical inspection I drove the car back to work and park it for the rest of the day. At the end of the day I hope in and try to start it. Won’t start. I’ve got battery power, but the starter won’t kick over. I was heading out that evening for my wife’s birthday, and had plans for the whole weekend, so I just said “screw it” and left the car at work for the weekend. Monday after work I expected to call a tow truck, but when I turned the key, the car started without issue. Great! I hop in the car and get on the highway. 5 minutes later as I am starting to merge to the left lane for my exit, the car again looses all power. Warning lights on the dash pop up, chimes are ringing, a message on the cluster says “hill start assist not available” (I read that after I stopped). Traffic is really heavy and I have to aggressively cut people off to get to the right shoulder. I’m very serious when I say I was close to causing an accident. The car comes to a stop literally in the exact same spot as the last time this happened. Same scenario – I leave work, get on the highway, and as traffic starts to open up a bit and I accelerate to roughly 100km/h, the transmission disengages. Car is now coasting like in neutral, though the engine is still running. Lots of chimes and warning lights on the dash.

-I would like to stress that when I filed the original claim, my main concern was safety. I’ve been adamant the car was not safe to drive, and ford was adamant it was safe to drive. I literally drove it three times after filing the claim. I drove it the night before the hearing (to make sure the battery was charged, etc.), the day of the hearing and the day of the technical inspection as ordered. Unfortunately I was correct about the safety issue. As I said before, any idiot driving this car following the 3rd clutch replacement could easily see there was a major problem.

-I called Ford road side assistance and get the car towed to the dealer. The dealer was easily able to replicate the problem (again, only on the highway at 100km/h+). This time they changed the transmission control module. The dealer never called me with an update or to tell me my car is ready. Several days later I head over to the dealership and speak with them. They say "Your car is ready and can be driven home". “Ya right. Not risking my life again.” I leave the car until 11:00pm that night and drive home on surface streets to minimize the risk if the transmission disengages. The grinding noise was still present, and the hard shifting was as bad as ever. Moderate acceleration from a stop sometimes results in a clutch drop hard enough to spin the tires on dry pavement. I still don’t think this car is fixed. It is like driving with a kid learning to drive standard. I’ve driven about a dozen Focus’, and never have I been in a Focus as bad as mine.

-Unfortunately, since this latest issue happened after the hearing and after the technical inspection (on the way home from the technical inspection!), it wasn’t taken into consideration with my claim. Thankfully, they ruled in my favour regardless based on the evidence presented at the hearing and the technical inspector’s report. Ford now has possession of the vehicle and I have received my payout. I won’t give the exact dollar amount (you can run the calculation on the CAMVAP website if you like), but it is a bit more then market value, and less then the new purchase price.

The arbitration process was like going to court. I had to present evidence, I could call witnesses, etc. Ford had the opportunity to cross examine witnesses, provide their own evidence, etc. During the hearing Ford didn't provide any evidence of their own and focused on disputing my evidence and witness accounts. Ford's statements were all along the lines of "Your car was operating normally and some mechanical noise, rough shifting, etc. is normal for this type of transmission". Ford's representative at the hearing was a professional and has been through this many many times. As I am not a lawyer, I was a bit out-gunned. But in the end I think the evidence and the 3rd party technical inspector's report told the story.

I was told the car will be sold at auction and has been branded “salvage” or something similar. This branding will remain on the car’s registration forever.

I’m happy I won and can close the door on this. It has been a long and stressful 2.5 years with this car.
Thank you for posting this. I gave up on mine and traded it in because of all the posts I saw where people got help and new parts, then within weeks to months the problems came back, like yours.
I concluded that despite the excellent efforts of the ford reps here and at Facebook, the problems can not be ended.
I get it that most owners have no problem, but if you do, they seem un-fixable.

Glad you got a resolution and stunned how much work you had to do.

·
Registered
710 Posts
thanks for posting
I suspect I will being going this route in my near future

Anyone getting sold the "normal operation" line of crap
Tell them ... It didnt do that brand new or in the test drive model " shuts them up instantly
I suspect they are told how to communicate with the customer ... we all seem to get the same story

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts

Mary Barra is changing all that,,,,,,^^^^^

I take it you haven't looked or checked out the '15 Silverado's or the Ram's? The Tundra was on top back in '07, not now. Have you looked how many Tundra's Toyota sells vs the domestic's? Its not like Toyota is counting on the Tundra for sales.

·
Torretto!
3,878 Posts
Sorry, I was too lazy to read through all that stuff..but was the basis for the win the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act act or "Lemon law" whatever it's called?

·
Torretto!
3,878 Posts
Sorry to hear that you had to go through all of that and Ford working so hard against you with all of that evidence on your side. When I got my TCM replaced, Ford Corporate was not very helpful either, although my dealer did what they could.

It's too bad because Ford does have some great vehicles, but my customer and dependability experience with them have not been good at all.
I did notice when I was looking at fords, there were a TON of used dct's to choose from, mostly '12/'13....seemed every dealer, ford or not or independent had a bunch of them, different colors....rentals, fleets, etc probably had a lot of complaints about the quirky transmissions

·
Registered
1,327 Posts

-I started this thread: So who has gone through the most DCT clutches? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum hoping I could learn something about the issues my car has been having. Clearly after 3 replacement clutches in 2 years, the clutch isn't the source of the problem.

what a horrifying story of how Ford is treating many focus owners with these problems.
I'm glad you rejected the "everything is normal" koolaid and pursued your case.
Sometimes I don't know what is scarier: Ford trying to convince everyone these horrible problems are normal, or the owners trying to convince themselves.
When a major company does this to you after taking your hard-earned dollars of $20,000+ , you need to get angry and push until its made right.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
thanks for posting
I suspect I will being going this route in my near future

Anyone getting sold the "normal operation" line of crap
Tell them ... It didnt do that brand new or in the test drive model " shuts them up instantly
I suspect they are told how to communicate with the customer ... we all seem to get the same story
The "everything is normal" koolaid is being passed out everywhere and too many people accept it without question because an "expert" said so.

Again & again, I have posed the question here: if new parts make the symptoms go away, how could those symptoms have been normal ?

If your car didn't used to have those symptoms when new, how can they be normal?

If they only show up in hot weather under load, how can they be normal?

etc, etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts