Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally had my AFX pulley installed last Friday, and the first thing I noticed from the lightened crank pulley is the the extra "pull". Also, it feels like I recieved some low-end power as well. I usually start to lose power at about 65-75 mph, but she feels a little more gutsy to me.....[:D]. I haven't had any problems with overheating or my A/C (thank god). My temperature gauge stayed at its normal half-way mark and never rose(I payed close attention to it, trust me). It has been 100-105 degrees this past weekend where I live and the A/C is still cold, just the way I like it. I know alot of people are worried about getting UDP's for those reasons and a few more. I remember hearing that you can lose some steering due to the power steering pump being underdriven. My steering feels the same as the day I took her in to have the pulley installed. My engine sounds a bit louder while in high RPM's too. I think I would feel more performance if I was MTX instead of ATX, but thats how it is with most mods anyway. All in all it is a good mod for the price. I did pay to get it installed. I didnt have the right tools for the install (that and I heard it can be a real pain). From what my mechanic said, it wasnt that easy of an install, but it could've been worse. I recommend to anyone looking for gains with low money to get this mod. Hope this helps anyone out who is questioning purchasing a UDP kit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,239 Posts
Originally posted by Stephs2.0Focus
the first thing I noticed from the lightened crank pulley is the the extra "pull". Also, it feels like I recieved some low-end power as well. I usually start to lose power at about 65-75 mph, but she feels a little more gutsy to me.....[:D]. I haven't had any problems with overheating or my A/C (thank god). My temperature gauge stayed at its normal half-way mark and never rose(I payed close attention to it, trust me). It has been 100-105 degrees this past weekend where I live and the A/C is still cold, just the way I like it.




what did u expect it to do, make your car run worse? [thumb]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
It won't hurt A/C at all, it won't hurt steering, if anyone says so they're clueless. the only thing it might affect is you'll notice headlamps/interior lights dimming a bit at idle. And the installation is very easy if you have any mechanical knowledge and the the tools.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: My AFX Underdrive Pulley Review.......

AllMotorFocus said:




what did u expect it to do, make your car run worse? [thumb]
I guess I did state the obvious, but thats no reason for you to be mean.....[nutkick]. J/K
I just thought it would be nice to tell everyone my experience with having a UDP installed in my car. And also to not believe all the storys you hear on the site. You should try stuff out yourself and see what the results are. And no, I am NOT saying all the stuff you read on read/hear on our site is B.S. I have recieved help from many members and MOD's, which I have thank numerous times for they're help. All I am saying is not everyone knows what they're talking about on here. I would like to add that my dome/headlights dont flash or flicker while at idle either. But then again, I am not running some 3,000 watt system in my car either [:D].
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,239 Posts
Re: Re: Re: My AFX Underdrive Pulley Review.......

Stephs2.0Focus said:
I guess I did state the obvious, but thats no reason for you to be mean.....[nutkick]. J/K
I just thought it would be nice to tell everyone my experience with having a UDP installed in my car. And also to not believe all the storys you hear on the site. You should try stuff out yourself and see what the results are. And no, I am NOT saying all the stuff you read on read/hear on our site is B.S. I have recieved help from many members and MOD's, which I have thank numerous times for they're help. All I am saying is not everyone knows what they're talking about on here. I would like to add that my dome/headlights dont flash or flicker while at idle either. But then again, I am not running some 3,000 watt system in my car either [:D].


hehe its cool stephie no hard feelings... gotta have a little fun every now and then... and i agree... there's like 9047392648732648723 n00b's here that talk out their arse... i gauge credibility of posts usually by a member's joined date...


but yeah my lights on the focus never dimmed and i had 2 10's and a 600w amp as well as a 400w pushing the door/panel speakers... never had a prob...


good info tho.. go steph[thumb]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
They probably dim, but it's not very noticable unless you really pay attention. I put the AF/X on my 01 Escort running the stock stereo and there was dimming. Who knows though? Have fun with it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AllMotorFocus: No offense taken........ :)

98gsxltd: I did pay to get my UDP installed, I didnt have the right equipment or time to do it. I went to my personal mechanic who charged me $80 for the install. I have heard that the AFX UDP is smaller and lighter than the Esslinger UDP but thats just rumors. I think you will be more than happy with you UDP setup.

Trancer: I payed really close attention to my lights just like my thermostate and and A/C. There was no apparent change (flickering or flashing).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
813 Posts
It's good to hear you went through with the mod. I too had the AFX UDP installed recently. It sounds like we went through the same cautious process of watching every instrument in the car to make damn good and sure nothing was out of wack. My only complaint about the pully is how pretty it is. You can't see it once it's installed [:D]
 

·
OMGVTAK!
Joined
·
60,646 Posts
^Yeah, true. It's a pretty piece but you can't see it....hehe.

My lights do flicker a bit but the A/C never changed. It's a great little mod for about $100[thumb]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Wow this is the first time I have ever heard of it being a hard install. I don't know what could possibly be different about taking a pulley off of my zx2 and a focus but it takes like 15 minutes with a breaker bar and i think a 18mm socket. It is just about the easiest mod you can do yourself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
775 Posts
Congrats on the new mod and info. I might buy a UDP now. Does anyone know how well the Esslinger UDP is? Is it better than AFX or about the same?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
the esslinger gets about the same gains as the AFX but the AFX is said to be smaller and lighter so there might be a slight difference but both are very good quality
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,208 Posts
Well, i hope you people are happy . . . I just ordered the AFX UDP from NewEdge (yeah! representin' MD! WOOHOO!). I figure, the car payment can wait another day or five. lol
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top