Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if it helpful to anyone but tonight I went for a drive with my AC on for about 10 miles with a meal thermometer in the vent. It stayed 55 degrees regardless of fan position.

I would not rave about how cool the car gets, but for those having AC problems, I can at least give you some comparison.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Ford has a history of under charging the A/C system at the factory and they do it on purpose. If they can save a half a pound of freon on every car built, it will save them millions in the end. A majority of owners will never notice the reduced cooling capacity except those in the sun belt or the desert southwest, and that is exactly what ford is counting on.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I would rather they just make the whole AC unit smaller if they're going to do that... If it's going to be a bit warmer anyways, why not let us save a bit on gas while we're at it!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I would rather they just make the whole AC unit smaller if they're going to do that... If it's going to be a bit warmer anyways, why not let us save a bit on gas while we're at it!

Easy for you to say that in Canada, but some in the southern USA see AVERAGE summer daytime temps of over 110F (43C) and frequent temps over 115F (46C). When you deal with those temps having function AC is more than a convenience -- it could be a life saver...

I once drove from Lone Pine in California to Las Vegas through Death Valley and saw a temp of 126F (52C). Now I'm sure there are days when some places in Canada get a bit toasty, but not like Florida to southern California...

Brian

·
Registered
269 Posts
Reduced charge can become an issue, if the undercharge is too severe. What happens is the evap coil gets to be WAY cold on the part where the actual evaporation is taking place, and the rest just doesn't change temp. That way cold area can freeze up into a giant ice block, which dams the airflow, and when it melts, it makes a hell of a mess of your floor. Source: HVAC experience and real life "Why is there a [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]g puddle on the damn floor?" experience.

·
Registered
133 Posts
It was around 90 and muggy here yesterday and I thought the AC worked fine. Didn't even have to turn it to max. Don't these cars use the 134A? You could just pay $10 for a can and put it in yourself.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Easy for you to say that in Canada, but some in the southern USA see AVERAGE summer daytime temps of over 110F (43C) and frequent temps over 115F (46C). When you deal with those temps having function AC is more than a convenience -- it could be a life saver...

I once drove from Lone Pine in California to Las Vegas through Death Valley and saw a temp of 126F (52C). Now I'm sure there are days when some places in Canada get a bit toasty, but not like Florida to southern California...

Brian
Last year there were a few days that with the humidity in the Toronto area it was past 130f ;-)

I remember because the local burrito shop (without a/c I found out as I was going in the door) I went to for dinner had to close down due to heath standards. Needless to say I haven't been back since.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Don't these cars use the 134A? You could just pay $10 for a can and put it in yourself.

All vehicles on the road with A/C built since 1994 has R134A in it. R12 is no longer manufactured, its outlawed.

Yes you can charge it yourself, but be careful you don't overcharge the system. An overcharge will reduce the cooling capacity just like an undercharge will. It would be better to use a manifold gauge set and charge the system based on pressures and temps to get an exact charge for the particular vehicle.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
All vehicles on the road with A/C built since 1994 has R134A in it. R12 is no longer manufactured, its outlawed.

Yes you can charge it yourself, but be careful you don't overcharge the system. An overcharge will reduce the cooling capacity just like an undercharge will. It would be better to use a manifold gauge set and charge the system based on pressures and temps to get an exact charge for the particular vehicle.
Shouldn't you have the system checked for leaks first? If so, don't you need special equipment to check for leaks? And, if you have a leak don't you need other special tools to evacuate system before charging?

Brian

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
I've charged air conditioning multiple times in vehicles before. What is the correct pressure for our cars? anyone know? I'm in school right now or I'd check my manual even though I'm sure the manual says that we should take it to the Stealership.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Shouldn't you have the system checked for leaks first? If so, don't you need special equipment to check for leaks? And, if you have a leak don't you need other special tools to evacuate system before charging?

Brian
You are correct, you should check the system for leaks before charging. you can use a soap and water mix in a spray bottle or have the dye put in the system and look for it leaking out.

As long as the system has some charge in it and your not opening up the system, you don't need to evacuate. If all you need is more charge in the system, you can get by with just a 5 buck adapter hose and a 10 buck can of 134A.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I've charged air conditioning multiple times in vehicles before. What is the correct pressure for our cars? anyone know? I'm in school right now or I'd check my manual even though I'm sure the manual says that we should take it to the Stealership.
Most all cars have a label with the amount of charge in pounds that the car should have.

The correct way to charge an automotive a/c system is cross reference the ambient temp and humidity with the vent outlet temp and set the high side and low side pressures to what the chart tells you and you will have a perfect charge everytime. These charts are available for all types of freon used and works on all vehicles. Thats the old school way to charge an a/c system and it works better than the new computerized charging stations. A lot of younger techs out there have never even seen these charts or even know they exist let alone how to use one.

All you need to correctly change any a/c system is one of those charts, a set of manifold gauges for type of freon your using, a good instant read probe thermometer to read the vent temp, and the current ambient temp and humidity, and of course a can of refrigerant.

·
Registered
51 Posts
@ I Bleed Ford Blue
Thanks for the heads-up on that one about the freon. My A/C, I lived in the desert southwest and last summer after I'd just bought the car, I noticed it did not cool very well when it was very hot outside.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is my first Ford, so I can't speak to what has happened in the past. But I feel like the 'climate control' system is pretty damn finicky. Sometimes I wonder what happened to simple knobs. :)

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I don't know how much better your AC is going to get if it's a little (or a lot) undercharged. I'm in an HVAC class at school right now and checked out my AC system yesterday. I checked my duct temp beforehand and it was about 44 degrees (very cool and dry day here yesterday), and then evacuated the system. The SVT refrigerant capacity is 20 oz. or 1.25 lbs, mine only had like .66 lbs in it. After recharging to 1.25 lbs with a very accurate machine, my duct temp dropped 2 degrees to 42.

It did seem to cool down faster, but I only gained 2 degrees over having basically a half filled system. So I guess don't get your hopes up of it getting much better

·
Registered
845 Posts
It did seem to cool down faster, but I only gained 2 degrees over having basically a half filled system. So I guess don't get your hopes up of it getting much better
Thats what happens when the system is properly charged, it may not get much cooler but it gets there much quicker. You will notice the difference on a hot humid summer day when the system does not have to work as hard to cool your car.

·
Registered
51 Posts
@6SPD_soul:
I noticed that you are driving an older car. I wonder if having the correct amount of freon in a 2012 Ford would make a greater difference.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I have to say that Ford intentionally under charging just makes no sense whatever. For the couple of dollars they might save upfront they could easily see hundreds of dollars of support cost down the road and I find it hard to see how that profits them one bit. Even if only one in ten come in to have the A/C system serviced under warranty any savings they might have had upfront would be gone AND they'd have unhappy customers less likely to buy from them in the future.

If Ford was in fact engaging in intentional under charging then the execs responsible should be fired for harming Fords bottom line!

Brian

1 - 20 of 35 Posts