Focus Fanatics Forum banner

81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Take a look at this. This is "normal" to Ford. I would really hate to see what a "defective" vehicle looks like!
https://youtu.be/LLqUfPgxrq0
So Ford is telling you a transmission fault with codes is normal? And by Ford do you mean Ford Motor Company, or a Ford dealer service department, or both?

·
Registered
38 Posts
So Ford is telling you a transmission fault with codes is normal? And by Ford do you mean Ford Motor Company, or a Ford dealer service department, or both?
Ford as in the field service technician coming to look at it saying that it "might" be leaking seals, but nothing seems out of the norm. They replaced the seals, then I still had issues. They replaced the TCM. It died on the highway the next day. After pulling codes, the field technician got with his "fellow technicians" and could not find anything that would cause the vehicle to exhibit this behavior. The dealer actually said it was NOT normal, but they were in a rut as to fixing it because Ford has a flowsheet of failures that must be met before they go on to fix the actual issues. The dealer actually told me that he thinks Ford wishes to drag customers along long enough that their warranty goes out. The service adviser said coming to work for the Ford Service dept was his biggest mistake in life, and that he should have stayed with Toyota.

To the others saying that the 15B22 will fix their DCT issues, mine actually became worse after it was applied.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Ford as in the field service technician coming to look at it saying that it "might" be leaking seals, but nothing seems out of the norm. They replaced the seals, then I still had issues. They replaced the TCM. It died on the highway the next day. After pulling codes, the field technician got with his "fellow technicians" and could not find anything that would cause the vehicle to exhibit this behavior. The dealer actually said it was NOT normal, but they were in a rut as to fixing it because Ford has a flowsheet of failures that must be met before they go on to fix the actual issues. The dealer actually told me that he thinks Ford wishes to drag customers along long enough that their warranty goes out. The service adviser said coming to work for the Ford Service dept was his biggest mistake in life, and that he should have stayed with Toyota.

To the others saying that the 15B22 will fix their DCT issues, mine actually became worse after it was applied.
15B22 only adds diagnostics. If it's worse after its not because of the update.

I would honestly get Megan here involved and go to another dealer.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts

If they replaced the seals, did the replace the clutch assembly? Or at least clean the assembly? (Still don't know how effective cleaning that whole assembly is, unless they submerse the whole thing in cleaning solution, but then I believe there are sealed bearings which I doubt are "that sealed" they would keep out cleaning solution, but I digress).

If they didn't get you a replaced or cleaned clutch assembly, then I imagine there's fluid on the pressure plates, clutch plates, and/or center "flywheel".

Likewise, there's some calibration that must(?) be run from after replacing / removing a clutch assembly -- is this to measure distances to no/partial/full clutch lockup to store in the TCM?

If the calibration wasn't performed, I imagine the replaced TCM has default values for such calibration, and in your case, those values aren't anywhere near correct.

Sounds like they need to start over: inspect seals (again). Inspect clutch assembly (again), replace TCM (again), run calibration software (again?)

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
It's funny that you post this. It irritates me when people say that ford isn't doing "anything" to fix the DCT's, yet what you post is contradictory to this. As well as my experience with the 15B22 update and them replacing the clutches all under the new 150,000 warranty extension even though my car doesn't qualify (too new of a build date)

I'm not saying you said this, just an observation. This is in no way an attack on you.

My experience with any warranty issues have been pretty good as far as ford goes, dealerships are another story.

When the DCT works correctly is a great piece of machinery and it's not neccesarily the DCT in and of its self that has the issues. It's the clutches, seals, and TCM.

The DCT does have advantages. It is way more efficient at transferring the engines power to the ground than a cvt or a traditional auto. This is why it gets as good or even better gas mileage than the manual. It's also just as quick as the manual. If you look at the difference between earlier BMW autos and manuals you'll see a huge difference in 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. Just as an example.

However I also would not recommend a 2012 and 2013 DCT to anyone, the 2014's are hit or miss, but the 2015 and up seem better.

Ford is actually trying to make this a better situation, dealerships don't want to seems to want to cooperate though.
I wasn't trying to say that ford isn't doing anything to fix the issue. I think it's great they've extended the warranty to 150,000 miles for some. Others have been stuck having to trade it in on a total loss after 3-4 clutch replacements within 100k miles. Sure they could keep going back for more but at that point they shouldn't have to. I've had a couple rentals that were dct's and I think they drive like garbage. The fact that Ford is still dealing with this same issue after 4 years is worrisome.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Mine (2014) just rolled over 34k and it shudders sometimes but I'm used to it. Mine also started to shudder around the 18k mark and I've brought it in twice to get re programmed and it still does it some. Maybe not as bad as others on here. I'm stuck with it because of depreciation so I'd have to suck it up and get used to it. Though when the tranny craps itself before the 100k warranty is up due to this, ford will be getting a call from me. As of now, I'm not worried.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts

Baffled techs shouldn't be taking it out on the customer/company just because they ran into a difficult one that "typical" repairs doesn't fix.

Good chance of a wiring issue, such as the TSB noted in the MkIII stickies or even something as odd as the "wiring under the passenger seat" check that has been noted as on the list to check before TCM replacement in the past. And that's just a couple of items reported here more than once.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Well after about 1500 miles it's going back to Ford. This car is shuddering so bad. I'm hoping they fix it this time.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I like my focus but i hate the transmission. It's okay with me in the car but when I have other people. There is no way to explain why my new car is shuddering or jerking when engaging first gear or 1st to 2nd.

Other than that my focus has low miles and haven't developed any serious non expected issue like yours.

Good luck with your car and hopefully you get out of it.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

81 - 89 of 89 Posts