Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
That sounds all fine and dandy. However, Ford has certified it safe. Also, unless you are willing to purchase me another vehicle so I can make a living, this is what I am stuck with. If I were able to drive another car, I would be doing it and not advising others here on this blog.
To answer the "fire" question: Common sense says that no, I would not drive it on fire. However, that would be an insurance claim where I could get a replacement car. Insurance doesn't replace vehicles due to poorly engineered transmissions. I'm not rich - if I were, I surely would not be in a Focus.
God Bless us all.
I feel your pain, pursue a buy back, with a lawyer.

These transmissions are death traps. NHTSA needs to make Ford take every vehicle off the road now.
The first post you've made that makes sense!
With the statistically significant chance of TCM failure and in light of the letter from Ford alluding to such and considering you don't know where you will be when your faulty TCM bites it, every DCT driver is operating a potentially unsafe vehicle. (Even those that have had a warranty replacement since there are reports of multiple failures)

Failure in the parking lot......minor inconvenience

Failure on a freeway entrance ramp......Sayonara
Exactly. The fact ford is not under some sort sales hault on these things is amazing. We just spent 3 weeks in a 2016 rental, it was no better than our 2012 we just got rid of.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
That sounds all fine and dandy. However, Ford has certified it safe. ...
And you have found that to be untrue. Are you willing to run over a pedestrial and use that as your excuse? (You won't be able to claim "I didn't know any better" after what you have written here.)

... Also, unless you are willing to purchase me another vehicle so I can make a living, this is what I am stuck with. If I were able to drive another car, I would be doing it and not advising others here on this blog. ...
There are literally billions of people on the planet who cannot afford to purchase a car. When I was one of them I found other ways to get around without expecting anyone else to buy one for me.

... To answer the "fire" question: Common sense says that no, I would not drive it on fire. However, that would be an insurance claim where I could get a replacement car. Insurance doesn't replace vehicles due to poorly engineered transmissions. I'm not rich - if I were, I surely would not be in a Focus.
God Bless us all.
It seems like common sense to me that the car is either safe to drive or it is not, regardless of who would have to pay to replace it. Would your only consideration be whether someone else would pay to replace the car, not whether it was safe to continue driving it?

·
Registered
285 Posts
The situation is so bad that the transmission supplier Getrag is completely abandoning their dry-dual-clutch technology in favor of a wet-plate dual-clutch.

The clutch solenoid simply can't approximate the analog ramping functions of the human foot, and the dry clutches can't handle enough slippage for smooth operation.
I may to have to disagree with you somewhat on this, if one knows how to drive a clutch, then driving the DCT will be no different....let me explain, I too experienced some of the problems others have on FF but someone shared how to drive the DCT like a manual....AND someone else posted on how to "scrub" the tranny.....I did the scrub at around 9,000 and things changed, and started driving it like the person mentioned on the post, I started driving it like my 5 speed, when taking off and it starts to shift, just back off the throttle a bit to allow it to engage (especially during the 1st and 2nd gears) , then give more gas until next shift, do the same, it may take a while to feel the shifts but once you do, it will get easier each time you drive it....if you want the shudder to go away, then try it. It worked for me and now my MPG went up in town driving as well.....it's simple and easy. THIS HAS BEEN MY EXPERIENCE!

·
Registered
38 Posts
There are literally billions of people on the planet who cannot afford to purchase a car. When I was one of them I found other ways to get around without expecting anyone else to buy one for me.
Arco, but were you disabled when you found other ways to get around? It is a necessity for me to have reliable transportation due to not being able to walk very far. Medical bills... medical bills... oh, medical bills....
We are not all Donald Trump and can just get a million dollar loan from our fathers. You must work for Ford as much as you fight for this car - or a large shareholder.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I may to have to disagree with you somewhat on this, if one knows how to drive a clutch, then driving the DCT will be no different....let me explain, I too experienced some of the problems others have on FF but someone shared how to drive the DCT like a manual....AND someone else posted on how to "scrub" the tranny.....I did the scrub at around 9,000 and things changed, and started driving it like the person mentioned on the post, I started driving it like my 5 speed, when taking off and it starts to shift, just back off the throttle a bit to allow it to engage (especially during the 1st and 2nd gears) , then give more gas until next shift, do the same, it may take a while to feel the shifts but once you do, it will get easier each time you drive it....if you want the shudder to go away, then try it. It worked for me and now my MPG went up in town driving as well.....it's simple and easy. THIS HAS BEEN MY EXPERIENCE!
This would be somewhat true if the DCT is not experiencing any other issues (ie. clutch seal leakage, crankshaft seal leakage, TCM malfunction, engine stall/hesitation). Before I had two different leaks causing my vehicle to go into reverse randomly and before it caused excessive shudder from getting the clutches wet, I loved the car. I come from a lineage of mechanics and am well learned on the inner workings of a vehicle and transmission - hence the reason I was excited when I first got the DCT Focus. Now, with all the repairs and TCM/PCM updates to make it shift different, it just feels slushy.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Sounds like a stack of problems, not all from DCT.

Engine oil leak, stall/hesitation sound like separate issues.

None of the leaks would put it in reverse, this one doesn't use hydraulics for shifting.

I've heard slushy compared to prev. software before, making it feel more like a slush box seems to be the objective to match what owners are asking for.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sounds like a stack of problems, not all from DCT.

Engine oil leak, stall/hesitation sound like separate issues.

None of the leaks would put it in reverse, this one doesn't use hydraulics for shifting.

I've heard slushy compared to prev. software before, making it feel more like a slush box seems to be the objective to match what owners are asking for.
I've had the car for three days after the latest fix (crankshaft seal leaking engine oil into the bell housing). It is a noticeably louder engine rev; higher rpm, but swifter shifting. It seems to also have a really quick shift to skip between the first and second shudder. On the open road trying to floor it to pass another vehicle - it slows down first then SLOWLY gets up to speed. The RPMs will shoot to 6500, but the car slows down until the tranny slowly engages. I've only put 200 miles since the repair in mixed driving, so I'm not at the point to be optimistic yet. If they had a definite answer on going into reverse and had a definite fix for it, that would make me more comfortable. But as of now, I'll be anxious and cautious driving to avoid injury or damage to myself or others. Also not optimistic yet as they say after reprogramming of the tranny, the shift point RPMs will decrease. This is the point that the excessive shudder traditionally restarted after previous repairs. I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Pintoman, Ford has managed to completely blur the lines as to what is normal versus what is defective on dual clutch transmissions. I drive a VW GTI everyday and have to do none of what you have posted. It is my second GTI and absolutely the only thing I have ever seen you would benefit from doing is being a bit firmer on the gas from a standing start than you would with a torque converter automatic. If anyone trying to rationalize all the Focus DCT quirks ever got in a GTI and drove its DSG, they would emerge from the car shaken at all the things they have been convinced are normal (that are completely absent in the GTI). Some would argue that the DCT is a dry clutch, DSG is wet, but the counter argument is that after Ford 's various DCT repairs and TSB's you can get back a car that, at least for several weeks, does not have those symptoms that you were told were normal. I am sorry to repeat myself, but if various symptoms were normal, how can a repair make them go away ?

·
Registered
520 Posts
The truth is the problems related to the DCT is more complex.

1. It is true that there are still a good amount of Focii on the road who still have transmission issues, which have yet to be repaired and/or resolved (2012 - 2014 rentals are reaching the used car market, for example).

2. There are still Ford dealerships out there who do not have adequately trained mechanics to handle the repair needs of the DCT transmission, nor do some of these mechanics / dealerships seem inclined to want to learn how to fix this cars. Ford needs to step it up and ensure that every dealership has someone there who can handle these types of repairs. That is why we are seeing stories of multiple repairs from folks on this forum.

3. Ford themselves didn't help the situation by denying there was a problem initially.

With that said, I have not seen anyone complain about the 2015 model year...yet. If this holds up then something has changed between the 2012 - 2012 transmission and the 2015 DCT. Not sure if its hardware, software, or a combination of the two. Whatever the reason, however, the ball is on Ford's court to make sure all cars with issues get the same "upgrade" that appears to have occurred with the 2015 Focus.

One other observation: I have not read any post about the DCT failing en masse. Most folks here complain about the driving characteristics of the car, but I have not seen any reports of the transmission outright failing. I have experienced the same issues with my Focus and have had them repaired. So far, I have not spent one penny on repairs, and I have owned this car for over four years. I hear about the car's unreliability rating (and I don't doubt it), but my personal experience tells me otherwise. Even with all the well-documented accounts about this car (The Focus was a very promising car that had a botched roll out, and is otherwise flawed in many ways), I feel like I got the best bang for the buck. Obviously, this is my personal assessment (And I guess it means my standards must be really low), but I still really like driving this car, I like how the transmission behaves, I like the driving dynamics, I like the tech it comes with (yes that means sync and all), and I like how it looks. Given the fact that I am on my fourth year (in my minimum 10-year ownership plan), I think I'll stick with this car for the near future. Your mileage may vary.

I don't blame anyone who has or plans to switch to something else, however.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Thanks for following-up!

I can look into additional assistance, once you've had a diagnosis from your dealer. When's your appointment?

Meagan
Meagan, have you been through a dealer service visit for a misbehaving DCT? Because here's the decision tree:

1) Any illuminated warning lights? (If yes, diagnose, if no go to 2)
2) Software up to date? (If no, update)
3) Does clutch slip more than 250 rpm when driven in test cycle? (If no, send customer on their way, if yes, upload test results to Ford and wait for approval for clutch replacement).

My point is that, barring a catastrophic component failure, Ford dealers have exactly 2 tools in their kit to fix all driveability problems: software updates and clutch replacements. And there are all manner of driveability problems that won't be solved by software updates and exist even with a non-slipping clutch. Which is why this discussion has persisted for 4+ years. It's hard to fix a fundamentally flawed design without, well, redesigning it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The truth is the problems related to the DCT is more complex.

1. It is true that there are still a good amount of Focii on the road who still have transmission issues, which have yet to be repaired and/or resolved (2012 - 2014 rentals are reaching the used car market, for example).

2. There are still Ford dealerships out there who do not have adequately trained mechanics to handle the repair needs of the DCT transmission, nor do some of these mechanics / dealerships seem inclined to want to learn how to fix this cars. Ford needs to step it up and ensure that every dealership has someone there who can handle these types of repairs. That is why we are seeing stories of multiple repairs from folks on this forum.

3. Ford themselves didn't help the situation by denying there was a problem initially.

With that said, I have not seen anyone complain about the 2015 model year...yet. If this holds up then something has changed between the 2012 - 2012 transmission and the 2015 DCT. Not sure if its hardware, software, or a combination of the two. Whatever the reason, however, the ball is on Ford's court to make sure all cars with issues get the same "upgrade" that appears to have occurred with the 2015 Focus.

One other observation: I have not read any post about the DCT failing en masse. Most folks here complain about the driving characteristics of the car, but I have not seen any reports of the transmission outright failing. I have experienced the same issues with my Focus and have had them repaired. So far, I have not spent one penny on repairs, and I have owned this car for over four years. I hear about the car's unreliability rating (and I don't doubt it), but my personal experience tells me otherwise. Even with all the well-documented accounts about this car (The Focus was a very promising car that had a botched roll out, and is otherwise flawed in many ways), I feel like I got the best bang for the buck. Obviously, this is my personal assessment (And I guess it means my standards must be really low), but I still really like driving this car, I like how the transmission behaves, I like the driving dynamics, I like the tech it comes with (yes that means sync and all), and I like how it looks. Given the fact that I am on my fourth year (in my minimum 10-year ownership plan), I think I'll stick with this car for the near future. Your mileage may vary.

I don't blame anyone who has or plans to switch to something else, however.
I think you need to look around a little further.

·
Registered
254 Posts
When I had my focus that was one of my favorite parts of the car. The driving feel like a manual. This car would be much slower if it had a torque converter I bet (it would also be smoother of course but...)

·
Registered
183 Posts
I think I should have said "failing en masse", but I get your point, even one failure is unacceptable.
You did say that, I made sure not to highlight that part [hihi]

That said, I've seen a "handful" of people say they've had to put $5k gearboxes in their cars when the gears/synchro's/shift drums/whatever they call it has gone bad after xx miles of bad input (tcm) and shuddering from the clutches has ruined what is left.

That really sucks for those people :(

·
Registered
530 Posts
You did say that, I made sure not to highlight that part [hihi]

That said, I've seen a "handful" of people say they've had to put $5k gearboxes in their cars when the gears/synchro's/shift drums/whatever they call it has gone bad after xx miles of bad input (tcm) and shuddering from the clutches has ruined what is left.

That really sucks for those people :(
My car will end up manual if it ever reaches that point. I may go ahead and plan the swap when the trans warranty runs out.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Here's at least one:
Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus > So who has gone through the most DCT clutches?
I didn't complain about it, but we had a 2016 model year rental for a few weeks while we were waiting for the buyback on 2012 to get finished, if I owned that particular car I would have complained about it, it wasn't as bad as our 2012, but it sure felt like it had the potential to turn into a turd down the road. Car only had 2k on it when we picked it up too. (maybe it was a 15, but I thought the key fob said 16 on the rental tag)

Unrelated, the newer interior was a lot nicer than our '12, just with simple updates, better storage, plug ins, places to put our phones, etc.

·
Registered
38 Posts
UPDATE: Ford WILL NOT release to me the results on their field service technician's findings on my vehicle. I filed a lemon law complaint, and in their "final repair attempt" they failed to check over everything I listed - but they say that is a problem with the dealership. The dealership says it is a problem with Ford.
I asked if they could give me documentation that the vehicle is 100% safe. "No, because we did not check every aspect of your vehicle." Ok, so I asked if they can give me documentation saying that the parts they did touch are 100% safe. "No, Ford does not usually release any documentation to the customer."
Why did the dealership put 700 miles on my vehicle and does that not devalue my vehicle? "I cannot speak on valuations, talk to your dealership. Our technician only drove it for 9 miles and could not duplicate the issue"
Since the vehicle was leaking engine oil, could that not have damaged the engine? "Was that on your repair order? I can't speak to that."
Would you drive this vehicle? "Mr. Thomas, our technician checked out the issues."
Can I bring the vehicle to you and let you drive it? "You can drive it up here, but I am not driving it."
So Ford does not care that the car went into reverse and hit and injured a pedestrian? "I do not understand where you get that Ford does not care. Our technician could not duplicate the issue"

Sooo, I called the State of Texas Lemon Law Division. She seemed very frustrated with Ford in general. I told her that Ford says they do not release any documentation to customers. Her response, "Oh, don't worry. We definitely will force them to give it to us."

The saga continues.

·
Registered
183 Posts
UPDATE: Ford WILL NOT release to me the results on their field service technician's findings on my vehicle. I filed a lemon law complaint, and in their "final repair attempt" they failed to check over everything I listed - but they say that is a problem with the dealership. The dealership says it is a problem with Ford.
I asked if they could give me documentation that the vehicle is 100% safe. "No, because we did not check every aspect of your vehicle." Ok, so I asked if they can give me documentation saying that the parts they did touch are 100% safe. "No, Ford does not usually release any documentation to the customer."
Why did the dealership put 700 miles on my vehicle and does that not devalue my vehicle? "I cannot speak on valuations, talk to your dealership. Our technician only drove it for 9 miles and could not duplicate the issue"
Since the vehicle was leaking engine oil, could that not have damaged the engine? "Was that on your repair order? I can't speak to that."
Would you drive this vehicle? "Mr. Thomas, our technician checked out the issues."
Can I bring the vehicle to you and let you drive it? "You can drive it up here, but I am not driving it."
So Ford does not care that the car went into reverse and hit and injured a pedestrian? "I do not understand where you get that Ford does not care. Our technician could not duplicate the issue"

Sooo, I called the State of Texas Lemon Law Division. She seemed very frustrated with Ford in general. I told her that Ford says they do not release any documentation to customers. Her response, "Oh, don't worry. We definitely will force them to give it to us."

The saga continues.
If it gives you any consolation at all. I understand your pain and frustration. I sure hope you are able to find resolution. It is absolutely criminal what Ford is doing.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts