Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Just made an appointment with Ford to check it out. 16,000 miles and it Shudders bad from first to second. For 15,000 miles it was perfect but my service advisor told me that all Ford Focus cars do this. He said that it's the nature of the DCT. Funny the salesman never mentioned it during the test drive. Anyway, if they take care of it all will be good.
What's the vehicle build date?

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Thank you for your willingness to help me. At this point the car is driving better and the shudder is not as pronounced. I'm hoping that the reprogram will help. I haven't driven in heavy traffic and warm temps yet so I don't know if its really better. My Ford service advisor told me to give it some time for the computer re-learn to take effect. I'm willing to do this since I just don't have time to deal with this right now.

I do believe that we need to make sure anyone shopping for a Ford Focus is aware of the major issues the Ford DCT has at this time. It's also the only way Ford will begin to address the problem that current owners are experiencing.

It's the service after the sale that tells you if the company has any integrity.
Thank you for following-up. Please keep me in the loop with the relearn; I'll be here if you need me.

I purchased a used 2014 with 20k miles and this was the first thing I noticed. I thought it was normal so now I'm used to it. This isn't normal? lol

Alex
Hi Alex,

Have you had a chance to chat with your dealer to see if your Focus is within spec or needs servicing?

Meagan

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ford has had my vehicle a total of 44 days this year trying to "fix" the transmission. 2 seal replacements, multiple attempts to fix, nothing works. Car goes in reverse randomly, even hitting and injuring someone. Gearshift is in "D," but vehicle goes backwards. In traffic and from a stop. Right now we are on day 27 of this round at the dealership.
I was at the Ford display at the Texas State Fair - a group actually were quietly going around telling ppl not to buy Ford because of their issues. Even my dealership just told me that Ford is having major issues and they are the ones taking the brunt, as Ford just pushes people aside. I mean, they are still in business after all the deaths their cars have produced, so why would the little consumer matter? If I die in this Focus due to it continually going in reverse, at least I have peace in knowing that my comments are recorded here for others to see.
We will see how many more days they will have it and if I still go into reverse. 19,000 miles on this car. Ford has my Lemon paperwork, but based on my current experience, I have the feeling I'm gonna die in it crashing before they do anything.
Www.safercar.gov. Warn your family and friends, please.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thank you for your willingness to help me. At this point the car is driving better and the shudder is not as pronounced. I'm hoping that the reprogram will help. I haven't driven in heavy traffic and warm temps yet so I don't know if its really better. My Ford service advisor told me to give it some time for the computer re-learn to take effect. I'm willing to do this since I just don't have time to deal with this right now.

I do believe that we need to make sure anyone shopping for a Ford Focus is aware of the major issues the Ford DCT has at this time. It's also the only way Ford will begin to address the problem that current owners are experiencing.

It's the service after the sale that tells you if the company has any integrity.
Ford has been addressing the issue for 4 years.......

Find the time to deal with this problem, Ford wants you to say you're too busy and let your warranty run out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Car goes in reverse randomly, even hitting and injuring someone.
That's quite horrific!

I'm glad you have the tolerance to jump through all the hoops required to file for the Lemon Law. Personally, I just decided to eat the cost that I was upside down on the car for. One thing is for sure, though - I will make certain that none of my family or close friends buys a Ford product ever again.

I hope you end up with a beneficial resolution, and end up in a car that you can actually drive and enjoy rather than wondering when it will kill you or be out of the shop.

·
Registered
38 Posts
That's quite horrific!

I'm glad you have the tolerance to jump through all the hoops required to file for the Lemon Law. Personally, I just decided to eat the cost that I was upside down on the car for. One thing is for sure, though - I will make certain that none of my family or close friends buys a Ford product ever again.

I hope you end up with a beneficial resolution, and end up in a car that you can actually drive and enjoy rather than wondering when it will kill you or be out of the shop.
You are telling me! My job offers free visits for an "employee assistance program" to speak with a professional regarding life situations and fears, if needed. Believe me when I tell you that I have been to them and we have discussed my fears of driving this vehicle. I fear death - for myself and for others due to this vehicle.
Today is day 50 in the shop this year alone. So far, the rental (a Hyundai) has been much better to drive than the Focus. I guess I should enjoy the Hyundai (and the relief from fear) while I have it!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
You are telling me! My job offers free visits for an "employee assistance program" to speak with a professional regarding life situations and fears, if needed. Believe me when I tell you that I have been to them and we have discussed my fears of driving this vehicle. I fear death - for myself and for others due to this vehicle.
Today is day 50 in the shop this year alone. So far, the rental (a Hyundai) has been much better to drive than the Focus. I guess I should enjoy the Hyundai (and the relief from fear) while I have it!
I am sorry for all of you going thru this, its horrible for a company to take your 20,000+++ and treat you like this. I gave up 2 years ago as I watched everyone go get repairs then come back here in weeks to months with problems again. I concluded (correctly in hindsight) that most can not be fixed.

In the 3 years I have been reading posts here I have noticed a large change in that, years ago, there were many people here who believed the ford "everything is normal" memo, believed that THEY must be driving it wrong. Others wrote long posts to "help" other owners "understand" why everything was fine. In addition we all read about the WOT idea (wide open throttle) and drive it hard, etc etc. I couldn't believe how many excuses and rationalizations were being made for a BAD PRODUCT.

This year, those defenders are pretty quiet as the complaints continue to grow and grow.

As I said, I got stuck with the same thing and dumped it and I empathize with all of you saddled with this problem and the response from Ford after you spent your hard-earned money. This is not fair to you and/or your families.

This month I picked up a 2015 VW GTI with the DSG transmission. When I had a 2006 model it was fine(none of these problems), but the new one is a lot more refined. You could put your mother in this GTI and she would not even know it wasn't a regular automatic when its in Drive mode. Then you can switch to S mode and the shifting, suspension and even the exhaust tone all become more aggressive.

IF you put any DCT focus defender in this GTI, the blood would drain out of their face as they drove it. (as in "I'm putting up with ALL those problems and THIS is how its REALLY supposed to run ?")

Price $25,300 , 2015 motor trend north american car of the year.

Some make the argument that Fords is a dry clutch, VW is wet. Well, maybe dry should never have been made. Others argue that you can scour the internet and find people complaining about VW's DSG. No question there but the question is how many by proportion of sales. Others could say I have been lucky twice in a row.

I say this has been a travesty by Ford causing endless problems, heartache for a whole lot of hard-working people, who spent very hard earned money on a car with all the problems you can read about here. Think about the rest of your purchases in life, if this was a microwave you'd plop it back at the stores return counter in a heartbeat. But instead it is one thousand times more expensive and you can't.

I commend Meagan and the other Ford reps here for tirelessly escalating owners cases and I wish all their efforts led to permanent fixes for everyone. But they do not.

I wish this story would get into the mainstream media so all of you could get the proper treatment you deserve. Ford deserves a harsh media spotlight and all of you deserve a car that runs properly. Its that simple.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Just made an appointment with Ford to check it out. 16,000 miles and it Shudders bad from first to second. For 15,000 miles it was perfect but my service advisor told me that all Ford Focus cars do this. He said that it's the nature of the DCT. Funny the salesman never mentioned it during the test drive. Anyway, if they take care of it all will be good.
Maybe you can try this....do a "scrub" on the tranny....if you google it you will find out how, very simple and it helped mine shift better without the clunk noise.....AND it shifts better with a improved MPG both around town and highway....just my experience! Of course, mine only has 10,000 miles on it but will continue to do a scrub as long as needed. Will be going in to have the latest TSB on the TCM.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Maybe you can try this....do a "scrub" on the tranny....if you google it you will find out how, very simple and it helped mine shift better without the clunk noise.....AND it shifts better with a improved MPG both around town and highway....just my experience! Of course, mine only has 10,000 miles on it but will continue to do a scrub as long as needed. Will be going in to have the latest TSB on the TCM.
Thanks for the advise. I tried that before bringing it to the dealer. It didn't help my car at all. In traffic on a hot day my car would shudder really bad. Scrubbing the clutches did nothing for me.

After doing the update my car shuddered a little for the first day but now it is back to being absolutely perfect. I can't get it to shudder at all. It is shifting amazingly smooth. If anyone tells you it's normal for a focus to shudder- they need to drive my car right now. I really like the way my DCT shifts when it's working correctly.

I'm just waiting for the shudder to return when our cool weather goes away and I get a chance to drive in heavy traffic but as of now I'm cautiously optimistic.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I am sorry for all of you going thru this, its horrible for a company to take your 20,000+++ and treat you like this. I gave up 2 years ago as I watched everyone go get repairs then come back here in weeks to months with problems again. I concluded (correctly in hindsight) that most can not be fixed.

In the 3 years I have been reading posts here I have noticed a large change in that, years ago, there were many people here who believed the ford "everything is normal" memo, believed that THEY must be driving it wrong. Others wrote long posts to "help" other owners "understand" why everything was fine. In addition we all read about the WOT idea (wide open throttle) and drive it hard, etc etc. I couldn't believe how many excuses and rationalizations were being made for a BAD PRODUCT.

This year, those defenders are pretty quiet as the complaints continue to grow and grow.

As I said, I got stuck with the same thing and dumped it and I empathize with all of you saddled with this problem and the response from Ford after you spent your hard-earned money. This is not fair to you and/or your families.

This month I picked up a 2015 VW GTI with the DSG transmission. When I had a 2006 model it was fine(none of these problems), but the new one is a lot more refined. You could put your mother in this GTI and she would not even know it wasn't a regular automatic when its in Drive mode. Then you can switch to S mode and the shifting, suspension and even the exhaust tone all become more aggressive.

IF you put any DCT focus defender in this GTI, the blood would drain out of their face as they drove it. (as in "I'm putting up with ALL those problems and THIS is how its REALLY supposed to run ?")

Price $25,300 , 2015 motor trend north american car of the year.

Some make the argument that Fords is a dry clutch, VW is wet. Well, maybe dry should never have been made. Others argue that you can scour the internet and find people complaining about VW's DSG. No question there but the question is how many by proportion of sales. Others could say I have been lucky twice in a row.

I say this has been a travesty by Ford causing endless problems, heartache for a whole lot of hard-working people, who spent very hard earned money on a car with all the problems you can read about here. Think about the rest of your purchases in life, if this was a microwave you'd plop it back at the stores return counter in a heartbeat. But instead it is one thousand times more expensive and you can't.

I commend Meagan and the other Ford reps here for tirelessly escalating owners cases and I wish all their efforts led to permanent fixes for everyone. But they do not.

I wish this story would get into the mainstream media so all of you could get the proper treatment you deserve. Ford deserves a harsh media spotlight and all of you deserve a car that runs properly. Its that simple.
Spot on.

I can't believe how many people are allowing ford to just "sweep them under the rug"

It's ridiculous.

I don't have the details in front of me, nor do I recall every single argument I had with ford. But it is worth it. For the last year, maybe 2, I've had a loaner every time my focus went into the shop. We've been in a rental since mid august. I expect we should be able to turn that rental in this week and be 100% focus free.

Things I see people not getting, that they should get.

1. Rental Cars, no questions asked. Spend the time to fight your way through customer service, you purchased a new vehicle with a warranty for a reason, so you don't have to be with out a car for weeks on end while a huge corporation with the resources to provide you a loaner car tells you to get bent. Make them give you a loaner. Don't bother arguing with the dealer, call ford, they are the ones who will have to pay for it.

2. Reasonable acknowledgement of the problem. The problems that most are facing with these cars are NOT normal. Yes, it will not drive as smooth as a typical automatic transmission, but grinding gears, extreme slipping/shuddering/failing TCM's/unpredictable behavior, etc. is NOT normal. Protect your family and those around you, make the tech ride with you, make ford fix the problem.

3. A solution. They don't have one. Rather than continue to deny the problem, accept that they do not have a proper fix and voluntarily offer people to trade out of their troubled vehicles.

For those of you that state it is not worth your time or money to deal with this problem. You are sorely mistaken.

Take the time and deal with it. Get a lawyer. Do it on your own. Request a buy back. Qualify for Lemon Law. Find a way. The stress, headaches, heartaches, and financial frustration are worth your time to fight with Ford and get rid of the problem (the focus).

It doesn't take "that" much time, and it will be worth it in the end.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I went to the dealership to pick up my vehicle (55 days in the shop this year), and the seal they ended up replacing is the crankshaft seal between the engine and transmission. It was actually leaking engine oil into the transmission bell housing... They said it is possible when they replaced the clutch seals in May, it could have actually been the crankshaft seal that was bad - but was overlooked. Or their other explanation, the clutch seals were leaking in May, and the crankshaft seal was damaged when they replaced the transmission by "bumping" into it. Either way it goes, they have no explanation why the thing goes into reverse as they were "unable to duplicate." They also did not address all of the issues that I detailed in my Lemon Law complaint.
They had the Ford Field Tech come out and said that he "rode around" in the vehicle, but didn't actually look into the transmission - I guess Ford doesn't take hitting pedestrians due to faulty cars very seriously. First drive off of the lot onto the street and it shuddered up until 50 mph, way passed the normal 1st/2nd gear shudder. As an ordained minister, all I can do is pray. Pray that I don't kill anyone with this car malfunctioning. I'm at peace with myself, so if I die in a crash I'll be okay with that. I also pray that Ford will recognize their errors with these vehicles and transmission designs and will quit putting people in danger. Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Search 2011-2015 Fiesta and 2012-2015 Focus - you will be appalled.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
... I guess Ford doesn't take hitting pedestrians due to faulty cars very seriously. ... As an ordained minister, all I can do is pray. Pray that I don't kill anyone with this car malfunctioning. ...
I guess you don't either if you continue to drive the car in the condition you describe.

If you were driving it and saw flames starting to come out from under the hood, would you say "All I can do is pray" and continue driving, or would you stop the car and get out of it? How can you blame Ford if you kill someone when you know it is unsafe to drive? You can blame them for selling it that way and for failing to repair it, but it is your responsibility to not operate a vehicle in an unsafe condition or manner.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I guess you don't either if you continue to drive the car in the condition you describe.

If you were driving it and saw flames starting to come out from under the hood, would you say "All I can do is pray" and continue driving, or would you stop the car and get out of it? How can you blame Ford if you kill someone when you know it is unsafe to drive? You can blame them for selling it that way and for failing to repair it, but it is your responsibility to not operate a vehicle in an unsafe condition or manner.
That sounds all fine and dandy. However, Ford has certified it safe. Also, unless you are willing to purchase me another vehicle so I can make a living, this is what I am stuck with. If I were able to drive another car, I would be doing it and not advising others here on this blog.
To answer the "fire" question: Common sense says that no, I would not drive it on fire. However, that would be an insurance claim where I could get a replacement car. Insurance doesn't replace vehicles due to poorly engineered transmissions. I'm not rich - if I were, I surely would not be in a Focus.
God Bless us all.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts

I don't think you understand the seriousness of the situation. I put my car in R and take my foot off the brake and it starts moving backwards and I run over someone, how is that my fault?

Same thing for D. Take my foot off the brake, it starts moving forward, I could literally go through the garage wall and kill my wife. No wait, I have a detached garage, but you get the idea.

These transmissions are death traps. NHTSA needs to make Ford take every vehicle off the road now.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
it is your responsibility to not operate a vehicle in an unsafe condition or manner.
With the statistically significant chance of TCM failure and in light of the letter from Ford alluding to such and considering you don't know where you will be when your faulty TCM bites it, every DCT driver is operating a potentially unsafe vehicle. (Even those that have had a warranty replacement since there are reports of multiple failures)

Failure in the parking lot......minor inconvenience

Failure on a freeway entrance ramp......Sayonara

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
I think you reversed (oops) the D's & R's there, but I think I understand what you're saying.

At some point before moving fast you should notice the car isn't doing what you intended though. "I thought it was in D/R but it went the other way" only works for a short movement before you need to react. It can't shift to the opposite direction when moving at speed, so you're starting from a stop when the direction isn't what you thought it would be.

It's really little different than "I thought my foot was on the brake" when instead it was on the accelerator, time to do something about it.

A shock for sure if it doesn't go the way you expected when last looking at the lever/display, but you won't hit anything hard with normal reactions.

techsan noted in an earlier post (before putting the recent one in multiple places) that he saw it go to reverse but automatically continued to start moving before reacting. That's perfectly normal, and so is his subsequent reaction to STOP that movement.

P.S. - don't like ANY of the troubles, but going the wrong way when it doesn't shift right isn't a common one.

21 - 40 of 89 Posts