Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys

my 2008 focus started making a grinding noise when upshifting from 4th to 5th gear last night.

Car has 18,000 miles - I usually let the car go 65-70 and around 3500 rpms before I shift into 5th gear.

It first happened last night, and today happened 3 times on the highway. What could be bad, and would the warranty cover it?

keep in mind the clutch is not worn out, ALL other gears work fine and don't make any grinding noises.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Take it to your dealership. If you've got a warranty use it!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take it to your dealership. If you've got a warranty use it!
The car has 3 years or 36,000 so I should be good. but the dealership might come out saying its normal wear and tear which would be BS.

If someone knows what could be wrong I have better basis to tell them it should be covered under warranty

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
If your clutch isn't slipping and it just started grinding I'd say that's not normal wear and tear. You should be good. As far as the grinding, it could be your 5th gear synchro's going out. Seems pre-mature but it's possible.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The focus has a 5 yr 60k powertrain warranty, so the transmission will be covered that long. Grinding gears are not normal and it should be diagnosed and fixed free of charge by the shop. Make sure you drive with a tech to show them when it occurs and at what speeds. Otherwise they will say "we didn't hear anything" or "that is normal".

I have had good luck with my dealership with past cars, no problems with my 08 yet, so be friendly and firm and you shouldn't have any problems either.

Let us know what happens, as an 08 manual owner I am curious to see if this is isolated or there may be a problem.

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,790 Posts
That would be a sycro which is not normal after that low of mileage. I have that in third gear on my car at 82k and people I talked to said that if driven normally that it is odd for that.

·
Read Only
36 Posts
well i wonder if you are letting the clutch out to early and trying to put it into gear. how long have you been driving a manuel car and is this your first manuel car

1 - 8 of 8 Posts