Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2001 Focus ZX3 5 speed, which I bought new, now has 143,000 miles on it. Because of a noise, when cold, suggestive of a bad motor mount, I decided it was time to replace the motor mounts & replace the radiator hoses as well due to leaking around the thermostat housing. Found the cheap plastic housing has cracked due age, I guess, in the area holding the rubber gasket that mates to the engine. This car has more coolant hoses than any car I have worked on before, even my Citroens.
The car ran fine before putting it up on stands to work on it. I also removed the the air filter assembly as well as the battery & battery holder to gain access for replacing the hoses & mounts. I suspect I may have dislodged a wire in the ignition system or that the car's computer lost all its memory from having the battery disconnected from two weeks to a month. The engine cranks over fine & after it sits awhile will fire a couple of times & acts like it isn't getting any gas, but the gas tank is full. I plan to hook up my OBD code reader tomorrow after I read the instructions on how to use it.
I hope some of you can help as up to now, my Focus has been the most trouble free car I have ever owned & I am now 78 years old.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Check the fuel cutoff switch in the passengerside kick panel.
Check fuses.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
With air intake removal mentioned, I'd re-check the "MAF" connector (big plug into intake) 'cause that's how the engine knows how much air is coming into it & at what temperature...

If the sensor got dirty or damaged somehow in the process it would be a problem as well...

we've seen 'em installed backwards, gotten oil covered from aftermarket filters that had excess oil on them, all kinds of issues can come from this sensor not being "happy" for some reason...

The plug connector is fairly "robust" in normal use, yet it's a bit delicate at the same time when it's removed & reconnected.

Luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found the cause of why my Focus wouldn't start. I failed to attach the outlet from the air filter to the intake manifold. I attached it & then the Focus started & ran like a charm! In the frustration of not being able to start I also asked for help from another car discussion group, "VW diesel Fans" & one of them suggested I try some either starting fluid. One person suggested I cycle the fuel pump as the symptoms were a lack of fuel. It was my gibing up & preparing to to use starting fluid that I discovered the air cleaner outlet was only partly covering the manifold air intake. What this told me is that the MAF or mass airflow sensor is very sensitive & the car won't run unless the MAF sends the correct info to the car's computer.

In my automotive experience since age 16 I have found some automotive parts go bad with age. The plastic thermostat holder is one of those pieces of crap that go bad with age. If you see antifreeze leaking in that area it is likely the problem. The ridge inside which held the rubber gasket in place had failed, not the best design to hold the thermostat in place, in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
VW Diesel Fans ??? Bill. You should have checked back here first. ^^^ Sailor had already fixed it for you. There are guys on this forum who know this car inside and out.

I found the cause of why my Focus wouldn't start. I failed to attach the outlet from the air filter to the intake manifold. I attached it & then the Focus started & ran like a charm! In the frustration of not being able to start I also asked for help from another car discussion group, "VW diesel Fans" & one of them suggested I try some either starting fluid. One person suggested I cycle the fuel pump as the symptoms were a lack of fuel. It was my gibing up & preparing to to use starting fluid that I discovered the air cleaner outlet was only partly covering the manifold air intake. What this told me is that the MAF or mass airflow sensor is very sensitive & the car won't run unless the MAF sends the correct info to the car's computer.

In my automotive experience since age 16 I have found some automotive parts go bad with age. The plastic thermostat holder is one of those pieces of crap that go bad with age. If you see antifreeze leaking in that area it is likely the problem. The ridge inside which held the rubber gasket in place had failed, not the best design to hold the thermostat in place, in my opinion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts