Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I am going to be updating this thread periodically.

So Far What I have purchased and will be installing (will post a video of install):
Planned Upgrades:
*Window Tint
*Air Intake
*Magna Flow Exhuast
*Heated Seat

With My electrical upgrades I am not wanting to do the main brunt of the wiring because I would prefer to be-able to undo it. I know how to do it but its worth the extra money to be able to undo. And Honestly The cost of the remote start kit is pretty cheap already.

So what are some good upgrades to increase performance. Before that one guy comments "Buy and ST". I would but I just bought this car and I also dont want to pay insurance on a sporty car under the age of 25.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have an SEL as well and love it. I did coax speakers first but they are so low in the door that I changed them to components soon after and the sound is much better. Also while you have the doors off, do some dynamat type material. I have the stinger brand and did the doors, spare tire well and under the rear seat. It works very well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think I will need to worry about the coax vs component just because I will be adding in a sub. however I still might just do it because there is really no need for a coax in the front because the passive xover. I am most likely gonna grab a set of Infinities or JBL's because the kickers are not as good as I imagined. (already installed them I just didnt want to make a different list lmao). I was going to go back in there anyway because there is some vibration that I need to diagnose and stomp.

·
Registered
123 Posts
That plugnplay remote start kit is pretty slick and inexpensive. The site is lacking some information regarding range of the standard kit and how the cell phone app option works. It's strange that they have no contact information as well. I'll shoot them a message through their facebook acccount.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I havent been able to put it in because i didnt realize it needed the second key. Now that i have the second key i cant put it in because its in the shop now🤦‍♂️ and you get a business card and letter with your purchase.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Also the standard range is your key range. You just lock it 3 times to start it
Of course! That makes logical sense. So I wonder how the 2000' range option works; does that mean you need another FOB. Still no response from them through Facebook regarding my questions. For the cellular option I'm speculating you need to provide some sort of built in cellular technology and a cellular data plan to make it work.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From what i have guessed i think its bluetooth. Which is cool and all but thats useless.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks for that. As it turns out (and what I figured) all 3 options only work with automatic transmissions and I have a manual transmission.

Here is the website for Car Link with more details. I see they do have a bluetooth option too but I don't see the point of that as the range wouldn't be much better than the standard kit. The Car Link cellular fees seem reasonable at $40/year after the initial year of bundled service. It's handy to be able to remote start/stop, lock/unlock and locate your car from anywhere within the cellular network.

I have the MyChevrolet phone app for my Suburban and it works great with range only limited by cellular signal. It came with a 4 year subscription included and after that there is an annual fee. You can still remote start from the FOB too. I'm pretty happy with it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Honestly i hate the unreliability of the switchblade keys. I had a 13 Chevy spark with switchblade. Because i figit with them they break often.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a manual transmission.
I did not know SEL came with manuals. I looked online and saw a conversion video, but it looses cruise control. Did yours come with manual or did you convert it. If you did the conversion, did you retain the cruise control button?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts