Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I was driving home from work and I noticed a light come on in my dash that resembled a tiny yellow wrench. I looked it up and it means the Throttle Control/Transmission error - go to dealer for service ASAP. Barley 1600 miles and I need service already. I have been pretty aggressive with my shifts after since I passed the 500 mile mark. I hope nothing too serious is wrong. I will call the dealer this morning when they open and if the service department works Saturdays then I'll be bringing her in. Hope all is well.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
If you've been abusing it there shouldn't be a surprise it has an issue. It could just be a simple fix and I wouldn't tell the dealership about your aggressive shifts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My first car with a manual transmission was a ranger and it didn't have a tachometer but on the focus I'll usually watch it till about 5500 before I shift. Thats only when I'm jumping on the freeway. The first 500 miles I tried to not go over 3500. It says also throttle control I know I have the drive-by-wire that could be the issue too.

·
pwned
4,712 Posts
Not only that, but you have to let the engine break in first man, you can't just go gung-ho right off the bat. I wouldn't think 500 miles is enough to break it in, well for me anyways.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've had my share of new vehicles and haven't had a CEL ever. And I'm not exactly sure what "gung-ho" is, but I doubt I do that. I've never gone past 6k and the only time when I have it past 5k is usually 3rd gear when I'm entering the short freeway onramp by my house.
So with a new transmission how long would you wait before you started shifting in the upper rpm's?

·
Registered
77 Posts
For the 09 the manual states to vary the engine speed the 1000 miles, try not to drive at constant speeds... That's it...

But running the revs up to 5500 is never good, even if the redline is higher than that...

With the electronic throttle it could be a couple of different thing. I have one on my F-150, so it could be a stepper motor problem, a pedal position in relation to the tps problem, or you could have a loose wiring plug on the throttle quad...

To each his own, but why beat your engine that way?

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I'm curious......what CEL could be set by a manual transmission? Maybe a speed sensor problem....can't think of anything else. [screwy]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts