Focus Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Last Sunday was the 3rd autocross of the season. It was a beautiful day but unfortunately not a good showing for me and my Focus. My first run of the day was a decent run. On cold tires I put in a fifth place run. After that unfortunately I struggled. I can't get the car to get traction once the tires warm up. I started the day at 37 psi up front. I was rolling the sidewalls so I increased it to 40 psi. I was not rolling the sidewalls as bad but still I couldn't find traction. I am spinning the tires all over the place and the car is pushing badly around corners. Also there was one corner on the coarse I repeatedly locked up the tires. Many people on the coarse commented that I was hanging my inside rear about a foot off the ground around corners so the swaybar is working but the car is still not rotating. The rear of the car definitely feels more squirrelly now. My second to last run I was able to shave .5 off my first run of the day on cold tires but that was it. My times for the day were horrible and I honestly don't know what direction to go in to fix it. I went from a fourth in class finish last event to 11th at this event. I even tried slowing down a bit incase I was pushing the car too hard and it resulted is a slower time.
Sorry I guess I'm venting. To say I was extremely frustrated is an understatement.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Sometimes different courses are set up for different types of cars. Might have just not been your day.

try different PSI in the front and rear. The Focus typically likes late apex on the turns to aid in maximum exit speed. Try to brake and get on the gas and back on the brake to rotate the car. Shift the weight. I would say stop trying to get a fast time. See how the car sets up and reacts to different ways in and out of turns. see what feels good and then work on putting it all together.

·
FUBARCUS
7,767 Posts
Last Sunday was the 3rd autocross of the season. It was a beautiful day but unfortunately not a good showing for me and my Focus. My first run of the day was a decent run. On cold tires I put in a fifth place run. After that unfortunately I struggled. I can't get the car to get traction once the tires warm up. I started the day at 37 psi up front. I was rolling the sidewalls so I increased it to 40 psi. I was not rolling the sidewalls as bad but still I couldn't find traction. I am spinning the tires all over the place and the car is pushing badly around corners. Also there was one corner on the coarse I repeatedly locked up the tires. Many people on the coarse commented that I was hanging my inside rear about a foot off the ground around corners so the swaybar is working but the car is still not rotating. The rear of the car definitely feels more squirrelly now. My second to last run I was able to shave .5 off my first run of the day on cold tires but that was it. My times for the day were horrible and I honestly don't know what direction to go in to fix it. I went from a fourth in class finish last event to 11th at this event. I even tried slowing down a bit incase I was pushing the car too hard and it resulted is a slower time.
Sorry I guess I'm venting. To say I was extremely frustrated is an understatement.
I am wondering if you're simply over driving the car into corners which might be why you're fighting understeer and having lack of rotation. This would also explain the tires rolling over on the sidewalls even at higher tire pressures.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I am wondering if you're simply over driving the car into corners which might be why you're fighting understand and having lack of rotation.
I was thinking the same as I read his comments.
Spinning tires tells me too much input too early. Locking tires as well.
Maybe try to focus attention toward smoother inputs and transitions vs really aggressive strategy.

Tweaking toe settings cold help a little. Toe out helps turn in response with the front. Too much toe-in at the rear won't help rotation.

Lack of negative camber up front on these cars kills front grip.

61 - 65 of 65 Posts