Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wrote a thread a few months ago about how i brought my 03 svt back because the clutch was chattering. well they told me that the the clutch was bad from the get go and ford new about the problem. since then i put 3500 more miles on my car and the clutch is doing it again.
so i brought it back to the dealer once again and got my computer upgraded. they told me that they cant fix it. Because a new powerful clutch is in the stages of coming out. The stock clutch cant hold up to the power. I have to keep checking back, ford told my dealer that the clutch should be out in a month or so. If you guys want a more powerful clutch and want it for free head to your dealer. Hopefully it solves my problem and i hope you guys make out better too.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Thats interesting, I wonder why they wouldent have seen these problems in R&D Im sure they drove farther than 3500 miles to test stuff?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont know. its probably a string of clutches they made. alls i know is that im getting a new clutch. thats beefed up . they said the problem is in the flywheels

·
Registered
128 Posts
The problem is in the flywheels. I had mine replaced too and it's happening again, great to hear there's a new set up coming out.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Happen to a friend of mine that has an SVT....He was at a dead stop in neutral, when he went to push in the clutch....no more pressure.

He felt so dumb pushing his car out of the one lane traffic so people could pass him...He went to have it fixed by the dealership....

Peace...

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
what kind of symptoms do you guys have/had? Every now and then I get a vibration at idle in the clutch cable....anything serious?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
My clutch went out at 8700 Miles, just all of a sudden started slipping. I had no warning signs at all. Dealer claimed my flywheel was a little loose, but said it would not have caused the problems....... Thanks for the new info imfocused03...

·
Registered
22 Posts
would this still be under warranty if I have an AEM cold air? my clutch makes that rattle noise when i dont have my foot on the clutch.

Also, what's the worst that could happen if I don't fix the rattling noise?

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
they legally can't deny a transmission problem to a CAI..they are unrelated. However, I would save myself the aggravation and put the stock airbox back in just for their diagnosis/repair.

·
Registered
21 Posts
SVT clutches and flywheels suck . That is a design failure. Here in Mexico all of us SVT owners have changed clutch and flywheel at least one time. (more than 15 SVT's just in our club).

Here we are very aggressive with FoMoCo in issues that should have been treated with recalls, and in every ocassion they accept it's a design failure and fix it free of charge (all still in guarranty), as it should be.

Ford is what we drive, but we have to be aware that several times they know of several defects and they try to make the owner pay for what she or he's not guilty of.

My SVT, as well as every one of us, members of Focus Racing Team Mexico, have seen in our SVT the greatest number of defects in any vehicle we have owned, as well as Ford carrying the worst post-service we have faced.

No excuses for Ford.

A review that I read somewhere specified that SVT Foci had the best customer reports. PLEASE!!! where the hell did they take that info from? surely Ford paid a lot for that. I love my car, but that doesn't mean it wasn't built with an impressive number of R&D mistakes. [mad]

·
Registered
128 Posts
My clutch linkage cable broke yesterday at a main intersection... I have plans for a lawyer in the future. The things happening with this car shouldn't be taken lightly. Ford knows it, SVT knows it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Clutch cable?? Isn't the SVTF clutch hydraulic? [???:)]

·
Registered
412 Posts
The clutch is hydraulic. It shares the brake master cylinder for fluid, and has a slave cylinder on the transmission case. The clutch linkage is a cable.

Hope this clears that up
bfocused

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
The problems just seem to continue with the SVTF. If its not one thing it is always another, my oil pan is leaking so another service time, date and loaner car for me. Seems to be a norm with this car.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Greg, do you mean *shift* linkage cable? The shifter is cable-operated, but I'm almost positive the clutch is hydraulic. If the clutch were cable-operated, it would be somewhat harder to push down than a hydraulic one, and I don't think the SVT clutch pedal is all that hard to push down.

This is all very interesting, however. I have over 15,000 on mine now, and haven't had any problems. Nevertheless, if Ford comes out with a superceded clutch or flywheel, I will probably have them install it while the car is still under warranty rather than have the stock one go out right after the warranty expires...

·
Registered
21 Posts
DiscGolferGreg said:
Not according to everyone I've talked to.
It's indeed hydraulic. That was the latest issue with my car also. It's very probable that your flywheel will need to be replaced too, if not, severe vibrations are going to appear. Mine got new clutch, flywheel, and hidraulic actuation system (don't know the exact translation to english). Also ask for the latest reflash, it fixes lots of the causals of clutch failure (you can know if it's the latest becuase it opens the runners at 5000 rpm, not at 6000rpm, as it comes OEM, and all previous RLA's.

Now it runs smoother and more powerful than ever.

EVERYTHING MUST BE UNDER WARRANTY.[thumb]

·
Registered
27 Posts
i have a silver 2002 svt focus and about a month ago my clutch went out i have 22000 miles on it and well the miles were hard core miles but still for the clutch to go out so early and then to find out that the clutch warranty goes out at 12000 miles really bites

·
Registered
27 Posts
i have a 2002 silver svt focus it has 22000 miles on it about a week ago the clutch went out and the delership doesnt want to fix it cuz the warranty on ware n tare items doesnt cover after 12000 miles should i get a stage three clutch from spec clutch or try and contact ford

·
Registered
21 Posts
ANUBIS said:
i have a 2002 silver svt focus it has 22000 miles on it about a week ago the clutch went out and the delership doesnt want to fix it cuz the warranty on ware n tare items doesnt cover after 12000 miles should i get a stage three clutch from spec clutch or try and contact ford
I'd say, change to stage 3 clutch (SPEC or Clutchmasters) and Fidanza, Clutchmasters or Focus Sport flywheel (even all this three are quite noisy).
Ford's SVT Focus clutch and flywheel have deficiencies in design, and will present failure again, and again. You can't avoid that, so better go with a more reliable fly-clutch combo.

my two cents.[thumb]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts