Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exactly is a TSB i have multiple ones on my car, liek the transmission making noise with the clutch out and and premature clutch failure. Does the Dealer fix these problems for free. like a recall?

Thanks
Brandon

·
Premium Member
21,253 Posts
TSB's are just a way for mechanics who work for Ford to communicate problems within the company. It's not the same as a recall. Recalls are when the manufacturer locates a problem in the manufacture of the vehicle, and repairs it free to the customer.

Transmission is making a noise with the clutch disengaged, pedal up? Does it sound like a clattering? If so, that is a normal sound that some throw-out bearings make. As far as premature clutch failure, what exactly is happening? Have you done a 1st to 4th test to see if that's what it is?

The clutch friction plate glazing problem was with 05 models as far as I understand. It was a manufacturing defect where the friction disc burned and hardened on the outside reducing as well as cracking.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
A TSB is a technical Service Bulletin. They simply provide information to the technicians regrding common problems or issues. They may also include information regarding warranty or reimbursement policy, but the mere existence of a TSB does not say anything about warranty or reimbursement for the actions discused in the TSB. One must read the specific TSB to determine this, e.g., a TSB might exist which would say 5W-20 oil can be used on earlier models which originally specified use of 5W-30 oil, or another TSB might provide additional information or a procedure to diagnose a particular problem or symptom. TSBs are simply a mechanism for the company to provide updated technical information to the mechanics/technicians in a timely and uniform manner.

P.S. Vitually all vehicles will have associated TSBs, as many general TSBs will apply to all models.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well when I bought the car it had 83,xxx miles on it and when you pushed the clutch in the throw out bearing sounded HORRIBLE! So i took it back to the dealer I bought it from and they replaced that and the clutch was down to the rivets. They put in a NAPA aftermarket unit and put 90 weight in the transmission. So I took it back to them and they put in synthetic transmission fluid. Now there is a rattling noise when the transmission is in neutral and idling and when ever the clutch is out there is a whining noise. Especially in 3rd and 5th but it is noticible when you are idling with the clutch out also.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Well that sounds like an internal transmission problem (worn bearings), rather than a clutch problem. When you push the clutch in, there is some pressure put on the bearings, which makes the sound change.....this is really evident with worn bearings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts