Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Panamasian
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need opinions and have questions.

1. would you buy used springs (like 70k miles)

2. Do springs matter when it comes to fitting on a strut? (like could a spring that has been on an 00-05 strut fit on an 06-11 strut)

That's all for now. I'm still learning my focus suspension. thanks!

·
Da fofo love remains
1,538 Posts

2. Do springs matter when it comes to fitting on a strut? (like could a spring that has been on an 00-05 strut fit on an 06-11 strut)

1. depends on price...70k leaves a short life span to work with IMHO. What brand matters too.

2. No, I do believe they are different. Could be wrong though. Mines a 2005. Can always ask the tire rack guy. He will tell you for sure if another member doesn't confirm before that. Just PM him.

·
Registered
177 Posts
1. Doesn't matter as long as they're not charging you a price near the original cost of new springs. Springs are one of those things that can usually outlast the life of the engine, so it doesn't really matter if they are used or not. Just be sure to check for cracks in the springs.

2. In order to use a spring meant for 00-05 on an 06-11 you will need to get the omni kit from massive. The rear springs and shocks were the same from 00-11, however it's the fronts that changed after 05' which is why you need the omni kit (the base of the strut is wider as well as the hole in the top of the steering knuckle).

·
Panamasian
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1. Doesn't matter as long as they're not charging you a price near the original cost of new springs. Springs are one of those things that can usually outlast the life of the engine, so it doesn't really matter if they are used or not. Just be sure to check for cracks in the springs.

2. In order to use a spring meant for 00-05 on an 06-11 you will need to get the omni kit from massive. The rear springs and shocks were the same from 00-11, however it's the fronts that changed after 05' which is why you need the omni kit (the base of the strut is wider as well as the hole in the top of the steering knuckle).
1. thanks, i need to ask for a better picture and maybe them to be cleaned up. i can't really tell with the picture he provides

2. i know what the omni kit does. it's for the front struts only, not the springs. So i guess the question i'm trying to get at is, do any of the aftermarket springs made for the focus fit any front strut, regardless of the year. I assume so, because if the bottom of the strut is the onlly thing that is changed, i;m assuming the spring seat for the front shocks are the same

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
I'd say no on 70K spring's

The '00-'05 spring's & strut's don't interchange w/ '06+ = The '06+ have a pigtail on the bottom of the spring, where's the '00-'05 don't & the strut diameter is smaller on the '00-'05's hence the omni kit, on the '06+ car's. I'd start out w/ new spring's/strut's & shock's. Just make sure you match the damper's w/ the spring's, or get a kit= H&R's sportcup kit/Eibach's sportline kit, etc.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I don't know about buying springs used... unless they're close to being new. Only reason is because at 89k km's on my SVT (that's roughly 60k miles I think), my front springs were worn out.

·
Panamasian
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again guys this is helps alot. have another question though, does anyone know how much h&r spring perches are?

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Springs do not necessarily wear out and will last a lifetime if properly used and maintained. That said, it is possible for them to be damaged (excessive binding or bottoming out) or they can rust which can eventually lead to breakage. The down side of buying a used spring is that you usually don't know how they were used. If they come from a rust belt state I think I'd avoid them unless they are "really" cheap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts