Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Preface: A month or so ago, I had my IM, tstat and pcv valve/hose all replaced. Things were going alright (other than flickering lights) when two weeks ago my check engine light came on and suddenly both headlights blew. Pressing the gas made my fogs and ambers brighten. Took the car to get the CEL checked and it had to do with the IMRC. Closer look I noticed the hose was coming off and both bulbs lowbeam filaments blew. Replaced bulbs, slid hose back on, no CEL since then. Knock on wood. Here is the thread about it:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=501537

Now, reason for this thread. Yesterday, after getting gas, I pull up to a light and as I stop my cars idle gets very latent to where it starts a heavy, slow vibration. I hit the gas to keep it going. Haven't experienced it since. Again, knock on wood. Today on way home, halfway through the ride the airbag light came on. I pulled off to a convenience store 30 min after it was on. Turned car off, waited five minutes, turned car back on and the light stayed on about 5 seconds and then remained off the last 20 minutes of my ride home. I pull in and when I turn off the lights, the engines idle sounds different, not so labored like when all the lights are on. Still have bad flickering.

I'm probably just going to take this car to a pro. I'mgetting sick over these issues. Anxiety is high and nerves are shot. I'd like to hear your thoughts on what I could check or do. Any of these symptoms sound familiar?

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, '07 ZX4 manual

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On way to work this morning, airbag light came back on when I drove over a bump.

So far I have the following symptoms:

- airbag light comes and goes.
- flickering lights
- idle sounds different as I turn my lights off and on (includes headlamps, fogs and ambers)

I'll leave my problems from a month ago out of this post. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Sounds like a ground issue, now which one i'm not sure but start under the hood.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will sand them down. Appreciate the help!

Edit: For some reason, after I just asked my question, the images that Mandroid attached popped up. So I removed my question. Thank you Mandroid for the help! Will do this asap and will try to come back with some positive news!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wait, those arrows all point to ground points?!?! Holy crap! lol.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Naw, that shows all the connectors and grounds.

"G **" shows a ground, While "C" numbers are connectors.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great! Thanks sailor. Phew

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Don't relax too much, you COULD end up chasing through some connectors looking for problems.

One step at a time though, there are other grounds to look at before quitting on them if the main ones are OK.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Sorry! I should have labeled them lol. I had to put the phone down because the girlfriend was getting annoyed lmao

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks sailor. And no problem Mandroid. Thank you for the pics. I really hope that this cures these issues. I will do this during my lunches starting tomorrow. My stupid airbag light is staying on now. Could my airbag auto deploy when driving or is it on to say that the airbag system may not deploy if needed? Never had this on before and any caution lights freak me out.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Thanks sailor. And no problem Mandroid. Thank you for the pics. I really hope that this cures these issues. I will do this during my lunches starting tomorrow. My stupid airbag light is staying on now. Could my airbag auto deploy when driving or is it on to say that the airbag system may not deploy if needed? Never had this on before and any caution lights freak me out.

If I'm correct its on to tell you it may not deploy. Ours is on in our 98 blazer. Its been on since we bought the truck lol

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
^^^ correct, warns that the system is "off" for some reason with a continuous "on" light.

Could be from any cause, seat connections are one common one.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok great. Thanks guys. I was afraid that they would pop out while I was driving. That would be horrible! hehe. Alright, about to start to clean some grounds. I hope to have an update to you guys tonight on my way home!!!!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I had time to do four. I did two on driver side fender, one below the coolant reservoir and the fourth above the passenger side strut tower (near the bolts for mounting kinda hovering). The fourth one was one I forgot to do last time. I'm unsure what the leads to but some small box inside. I sanded down the connections, washers and paint off the inside until metal was shown. I also did the main battery connection (ground only). Here is a pic of the ground cable. How does the copper cable look?

I will drive it home and hope that helps. I'll let you all know the outcome. Otherwise, any other main ones I should look into?

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
637 Posts
That connection looks crappy. Is that the one to the battery? I see corrosion and ugly metal. I'd suggest that you replace that.

·
Registered
637 Posts
You know what though? I'm thinking alternator. Voltage regulator sounds like its wonky. Check the connections on the alternator and have it tested. Test the battery too, just for kicks. I've seen some weird things when alternators start to go. I've seen dash lights go crazy, wipers coming on and weird stuff like that.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts