Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there any kind of muffler out there that would make a stock svt focus sound good? or would i need to basically beef up the whole engine to get it to sound beastly.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What might sound good to you sounds horrible to someone else. central florida motorsports offers a few exhaust that sound good to me, but again it all depends on what sound you are looking for. But for the best exhaust sound a turbo is the only muffler you need[thumb].

·
Registered
14 Posts
Something I haven't come across this board much is the setup that came on my car when I purchased it. Most people buy one brand or another of a catback to alter sound but there are literally no gains since the stock setup flows great, unless you are going F.I. of course. For much less money just swap out the muffler for something else that you like the sound of. I have the flowmaster 60 series. Take out the rear resonator as well to give you a little more growl. I know im probably biased as hell but these two things have made my car sound better than any other 4 cylinder I've heard! It's a deep throaty sound that turns into an amazing scream at high rpm. At constant cruising speeds, there is zero drone and with the windows up the road and wind noise make the exhaust inaudible from inside. When you let off the gas, you will get lots of burbling and popping which is slightly intoxicating, I've noticed. I heard a tune will get rid of some of it, if you aren't into that sort of thing. I'll be finding out soon. So all in all.. awesome sound when you want it, quiet when you don't. What more can you ask? :)

If somebody is interested, I could try to make a video in the next couple days to show what the hell i'm on about lol.

·
Registered
69 Posts
After a week of owning my car I took out the Cat and replaced it with a race pipe from Focus sport which now has become CFM and it is loud. At times it can be annoying and other times I love the way is sounds.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Best thing to do is go to you tube and listen, there are a ton of videos with different set ups

·
Registered
152 Posts
Something I haven't come across this board much is the setup that came on my car when I purchased it. Most people buy one brand or another of a catback to alter sound but there are literally no gains since the stock setup flows great, unless you are going F.I. of course. For much less money just swap out the muffler for something else that you like the sound of. I have the flowmaster 60 series. Take out the rear resonator as well to give you a little more growl. I know im probably biased as hell but these two things have made my car sound better than any other 4 cylinder I've heard! It's a deep throaty sound that turns into an amazing scream at high rpm. At constant cruising speeds, there is zero drone and with the windows up the road and wind noise make the exhaust inaudible from inside. When you let off the gas, you will get lots of burbling and popping which is slightly intoxicating, I've noticed. I heard a tune will get rid of some of it, if you aren't into that sort of thing. I'll be finding out soon. So all in all.. awesome sound when you want it, quiet when you don't. What more can you ask? :)

If somebody is interested, I could try to make a video in the next couple days to show what the hell i'm on about lol.
I'd like to hear that video. I'm picking up a stock 03 zx3 this week. Is the flowmaster a bolt on part? or weld on?
also, is there a bolt on resonator replacement pipe or tip?

I'm new to the focus stuff and have been doing alot of reading in the last few weeks.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea i would love to hear your car in a video. my car is straight up stock and i'm going to get short ram air sometime this week. rocking a 156,000 miles, so it sounds a little old. runs solid still though.

i have looked at some youtube videos of peoples exhaust, but i feel like their car may be modified some or they have the complete exhaust system on their car instead of just the muffler.

i personally think borla is better sounding that magnaflow because it has a lower sound and it doesn't sound like its farting as much. i'm looking for a low sounding car so it doesn't sound like a ricer

·
Got Bewst?
2,967 Posts
I have a Borla catback with a high flow cat and it doesn't sound ricey at all. It does have a little droning in the cabin with the windows up but it's not too bad at highway. Turn the stereo up to 8 and you'd never know the difference.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys, i'm going to definitely check out some quality sounding mufflers

i have another question, i just installed short ram air intake on my car tonight and i took it for a quick drive, i noticed it felt like i lost horsepower instead of gaining it, i did notice that at higher speeds i could pump the pedal and be shot back in my seat more, but accelerating was definitely down..? that shouldn't happen

and also after i got back, i went back to my car to turn it on again to hear it and to put it in the garage, apparently the oil light was now on and not going away after start up, i turned the car off again and back on, still there. went to check the engine if i knocked anything loose and everything seemed fine, so i quickly parked it in the garage.

i didn't see anything unusual in the engine and didn't see any oil drips on the ground..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts