Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I went to a local muffler shop to inquire on how much it would cost to put a longer/bigger resonator on my MBRP to quiet it down a bit. He "suggested" that, instead of putting a longer resonator in, the guy would take my muffler off, and ROTATE it, and weld it back on. Basically, it'll be backwards. He said it'll "quiet it a bit". I was a little skeptical and got somewhat confused by what he said. Does that really work? Wouldn't that restrict the FLOW and lose HP? Not that it added a ton, but I don't want to lose what little I've already gained.

Oh, I have a JBA shorty, RT cat, Bosal Flex, and MBRP.

I need your opinions guys! Thanks much!

marc

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
typically, the resonator will have little flaps or fins... I dunno how to explain it, but they help reverberate the exhaust into the side walls... to drone, or quite the exhaust note...

reversing it will help by a tiny margin. Does it hurt HP? prolly by a tiny margin? Is it recommended? I'd say no.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
It depends on what the muffler looks like inside. Hard to explain, but yes, it can cost you HP, depending on the muffler. I would stick with your original plan.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Agree to that. MBRP designed it for freer flowing exhaust gas. IMO, I would just buy a resonator and go to a different shop.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
A different resonator would be the better way to go, but, if the MBRP muffler has a "cheese grater" look on the inside, yes, flipping it around would quiten it down a bit but not like a better/bigger resonator.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's what I kinda thought too. Cool, I'll most definitely go with a better/ bigger resonator. And YES, I WILL LOOK FOR ANOTHER SHOP!!

Thanks for the input guys!

marc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts