Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i am driving hard and push my car past 5800 or so RPM the whole exhaust starts to rattle the whole way up to 7000 RPM red line. Never did this before and just noticed it in the last couple days. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
What kind of exhaust do you have, stock, aftermarket? Whats the mileage also, i can imagine when pushing your car that hard its going to make some rattles no matter what. If its loud enough for you to hear it over the noise of the motor and exhaust at 7k then i would check the heat shields, they tend to get loose and make a good racket.

Edit: Another thing, i don't think your going to get any straight answers like "It's this for sure..." the only way you'll know what's making the noise is to get under it and scope it out.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
^^^ I agree. I"ll bet its a heat shield that has come loose. Sometimes you can weld them back. Sometimes a BIG hose clamp will do the trick, and sometimes you just rip the thing the rest of the way off.

Also check the rubber hangers and make sure one hasn't broken.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
stock exhaust and 104, 000 KM's i dunno what that is in miles but highish. its a pretty loud rattle. I wasn't expecting to get a definite answer just some ideas. I will get it checked out. Thanks guys [cheers]

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
I"ll betcha with those miles its a heat shield....Put it up on ramps or a lift and get under there and pull on the heat shields, try and make them rattle. Bet one is loose.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
muffler bearings are shot

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
^^^ LOL thats it for sure, no question about it!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so i am looking at either the heat shield or the muffler bearings?

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Worn motor mounts can also cause the exhaust system to rattle. And more than once I've seen the guts of a muffler or converter come loose....and the rattles were from the inside. Tough to find...

Bang on the mufflers with your fist.....might hear the noise if that's what it is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts