Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am looking for new muffler for my 2.0L something like a Magnaflow or Flowmaster. I dont want a full catback system just the muffler. II would like to find one where no welding is required. Does anyone know where I can find one?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
You can use either if you have clamps. I'd suggest searching our sponsor list or calling 800-230-3030 for summit racing.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
someone to make a pipe for you

·
Registered
753 Posts
Cut old muffy off.Measure length,inlet diamater and overall layout needed and Get new pipe at cheapo parts store .Might need to use two 45 degree pieces for a good fit.I rummaged around their exhaust section and found a tailpipe off some car that fit perfect.Cost me $13 bucks with the clamp.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Just completely removing the muffler wont result in a loss of performance at all?

and you can just add a straight pipe from where the muffler was removed, and maybe put an exhaust tip on the end, and it wont sound too loud, or cheap?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Sounds too good to be true(pun intended),but,yea,take off the muffler and put a straight(well,it's bent a little)pipe and you get a power boost and good sound(but not screamy loud)I did this before I got my Magnaflow.

·
Registered
302 Posts
yeah, if anyone could explain exactly how this is done, id like to see if i could try it out for myself

Ive got a 2003 ZX3, stock except for Brembo's, a system, and some interior stuff, nothing that should in anyway affect how the muffler idea would work.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I have an Intake w/ no muffler. I used a flexpipe from Autozone (very cheap) and put on a nice tip (borrowed from my cousin) And I'm telling you man, it sounds gooooood for almost no money, it even warbles if you let off the gas (still in gear) Dude If you want cheap and good sound I suggest this. I like it alot. I'll be doing a real setup within the year, but for now, this has worked for me great.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I think I used a 2in or 2 1/4in flex and the tip was 3in. We just bolted the clamps on really tight and used some small wire to hold the tip in postion. With the car debaged, and the dark tint I've got, the big tip looks mean. The whole car really looks nice. (Need some rims now) Dude I recommend this because its cheap and sounds nice.

·
Registered
302 Posts
how did you use wire to the tip to stay?

and how long was the pipe after the muffler delete? like, if i was to go in to autozone, how long would the pipe i need to buy be?

·
Registered
302 Posts
oh. yeah. lol.i guess i never thought of that. im just really unsure of myself when it comes to working on my car, im a computer guy, so im not particularly mechanically inclined. i just figured i'd hear it from the people who know best :p

·
Registered
774 Posts
Dude, Torche, The flex pipe at AUTOZONE is pretty much a standard size, it comes in a box w/ clamps, its 5 or 10bucks man. As for the tip, if it sticks out too much and you think it looks bad, then just use a hacksaw to saw a little bit of the flex pipe off. When its all said and done I think you will really like it. I could probably post some pics of mine if you would like. Let me know.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Here is the first shot, you can see how far the tip sticks out (not that far) We angled the tip slightly to the left, personally I think it looks really nice like that compared to being perfectly straight on.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts