Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here's the deal. I'm pressed for cash and want to buy a muffler to give my car some sound. Right now there is just no way I can afford to put a catback on my car. If I were to put just a muffler on my car, would I be able to get a deep sound that wouldn't have the buzz of a bee? Keep in mind the only thing I want this for is for looks and sound, hp is not a concern. I've been looking across the Internet and was wondering what type to get. I've narrowed it down to HKS, Magnaflow, Flowmaster, and this muffler that I thought looked really good, but wanted to ask the opinion of it.

Here is the URL for it.

http://www.bomzracing.com/prod.php4?p=m2

Let me know whether you think the replacing of the muffler will give me the sound I'm looking for. Also, don't forget to look at the muffler I left a link to, I like its look and its option for "tunable sound." I'm just skeptical that "tunable sound" would make that much of a difference. Also, I've never heard anyone talk of Bomz Racing, so I'm not sure about the brand either.

Any information is appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay. That's good to know. Thanks a bunch, EuroZX3. I'm pretty uneducated when it comes to engine related stuff. I guess that's why I've always been all-show, no-go. I appreciate your advice.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
no problem, but seriously tho when if and when u put a new muffler on there ur gonna want to put ur stock one right back on. its a really bad sound and sounds like a fart can no matter what muffler it is

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yeah Euro is right. You always see these punks drivin around in their POS hondas with what looks like a large roll of foil! Most of them look terrible on cars! They think cause their rear end can fart louder that there speed racer! So i would just keep saving for a catback

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
hey i just saw the muffler you had on the link and i thought it looked good. look i know everyone is telling you to save your money but im going to tell you that if you really want to get the muffler for your car then get it. eventually you will get enough money to buy a catback. if your in it for the looks then thats great. a lot of people are in it for the looks and thats fine. dont let these people get to you. they all love to mod their cars with parts that make their cars go faster but i love to see both fast car and good looking cars as well. by the way where in virginia are you located?

·
Registered
845 Posts
You'll have your total cat-back faster if you don't waste money on that muffler. Besides, the cat-back is easier to install than just a muffler because there's no welding. A cat-back just bolts directly to the flexpipe...only one cut in old pipe and it'll sound and look excellent!! Ask for money for Christmas and if you get enough, you'll have a cat-back installed by new years day (if you can get it delivered that quick on the holidays).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I took the resonator off the exhaust and put a small chrome tip on. I think it was the resonator whatever was on way back at the end of the exhaust, you can see it under the rear bumper. I do have a short ram air intake that makes a difference too. It has a very low tone and it doesnt sound like rice. It costed 75 to get it done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fabster82 said:
hey i just saw the muffler you had on the link and i thought it looked good. look i know everyone is telling you to save your money but im going to tell you that if you really want to get the muffler for your car then get it. eventually you will get enough money to buy a catback. if your in it for the looks then thats great. a lot of people are in it for the looks and thats fine. dont let these people get to you. they all love to mod their cars with parts that make their cars go faster but i love to see both fast car and good looking cars as well. by the way where in virginia are you located?
I'm located about 45 minutes from Bristol, VA/TN, whichever you prefer. I think that GonFishin has the right idea. I guess I'll save my money and work on gettin' the catback exhaust by late December, early January. My parents say they have something planned for me for Christmas anyways, which I'm thinkin' maybe a set of RS headlights. If that comes around I may not be able to get enough money for it by then, but oh well, those headlights are the shiz. Regardless, I think I'm goin' with the trubendz.com magnaflow stainless steel set. Thanks to EuroZX3 for showin' me that website. But I've got another question. How loud and how deep is that MBRP exhaust that you're talkin' bout evo3focus?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
well whatever you decide is cool cause its your car and your the one thats going to fix it up. goodluck with everything and hope you get your catback in december or january

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
well buying a muffler = 40-60 bucks + 30 at least on an install is already close to $100. you would only need another 165 to get a magnaflow shipped to ur door. which will sound a lot better, and look a lot better. that being said, its not the look so much that bothers me, even tho it does a little, but its the sound, it really does sound pretty bad

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi everyone, new user here. :)

Actually, roxxie, Just a muffler wouldnt be that bad of an option. I used to have an apexi style coffee can muffler on mine and it sounded pretty good. Nice deep tone. The stock cat on the focus does most of the muffling on the focus anyway so it would be pretty hard to produce a farting noise. A muffler will help you out a lot with performance as well. The stock muffler holds you back on high end hp. After i installed mine, 3rd gear was my lucky charm. I didnt think it looked too bad either, but thats my opinion. If you get it done, make sure the guy bends the pipe so it will go through the rear suspension. not under it. If it goes under it, they will have to put it in at a slant and that really looks ugly. Plus you will probably end up bottoming out.

But yeah you will probably end up seeing pretty similar gains in performance as if you went with a catback system. Back when all i had was cai and muffler, my friend's brother came into town with his zx3 that had cai, borla catback, and ford racing wires. I raced him and he beat me by not even 1/2 a car length.

It depends on what you want right now. If you decide you want to save up for a catback, go for it. But if you dont want to spend much on it, a muffler would be an ok choice. If you decide u want a catback, i say go with magnaflow.
Good Luck :)

·
Registered
951 Posts
The catback really wasn't that expensive..........I paid $235.00 for mine for a brand new SS Magnaflow off an EBAY auction. Was worth every penny, great sound!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
now i dont know if to get a muffler or a catback. im really into the looks and not much into racing. i love watching the races but i dont think i will be racing my car anyways. what do you guys think would be best

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you're just into looks and not performance, get a chrome tip from pepboys for about $10 and shove it over the tailpipe. You don't see anything else beyond that.

Fabster82 said:
now i dont know if to get a muffler or a catback. im really into the looks and not much into racing. i love watching the races but i dont think i will be racing my car anyways. what do you guys think would be best

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check the classified sections. There's always various catbacks for sale. Make sure you get the correct one for your car, sedans are longer than zx?.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
thanks for the help jnmarshall. but i was thinking probably a muffler instead of just the tip, but who knows. we will see what happens

·
Registered
793 Posts
dont waste money on a muffler, check the couch for change, sell your old 8-track tapes and buy yourself a good 'ol HKS cat back and sleep good every night knowing you bought yourself QUALITY and performance, not to forget some darn good looks, dont even waste time on $200 tru-trash or whore-la which have no looks, just my advice....

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
tru trash??? haha funny whoever has trubendz catback got the same gains and sound quality you got but spent half the $$ sorry man, not bad mouthing you personally but the hks is over priced and only worth it to say u have hks and the look. but time and time again, anything 2.25" or 2.5" in dia and mandrel bent will have very similar gains on mildly modded foci. trubendz is more than worth the cash and def isnt tru trash

1 - 20 of 22 Posts