Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
TARBO-PANDA
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Ford Focus (non-SVT) that's been turbocharged...

I'm getting the itch for more boost (naturally) as I'm only running 5.5psi. With the stock tranny I don't wanna push it...

She's got some mileage too and the synchros are starting to be a bit flaky with the colder weather.

Anyway, it probably won't be right away, but as long as I'm looking into it, is there a quick way to figure out what size pinion I need? That seems to be the one key element to purchasing a rebuild kit -- need to know your pinion size. From what I've read, looks like 18.5mm?

Any suggestions from you wrenchers out there is highly appreciated as well. I'm thinking about dropping down the final drive ratio as well...we'll see.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Your running boost, I wouldn't lower the gear ratio. I'd find a torsen to install. Just a basic rebuild is what I'd do. Synchro's, bearings & rebuild kit & of course the spendy ford synthetic trans fluid.

·
TARBO-PANDA
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm thinking a taller gear ratio, not shorter...lengthen out first and get lower RPM on the HWY with the extra power. :)

I like the idea of a basic rebuild. Just have to find the RIGHT kit. Still don't know which pinion gear.

·
TARBO-PANDA
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone on here do a rebuild? I've found some old threads, but not a lot of detail...

Curious if anyone has had luck with a particular kit.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
dont make a gear like you want. at least that would not be custom or require fab work.

X2 on the limited slip. that should be a must for any build. I regret not having one put in when I had my tranny built by F2.

I dont think anyone here has had problems with a kit. the fun part it just taking your time and doing things right. make sure you measure the output shaft bearings correctly for tolerance. there are some tube videos.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts