Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of I have been searching here and on a few other forums and cannot find a definitive answer or direction.

I just bought an 07 zx5 manual. The car just had the clutch and slave replaced before I got it and has 104k on it. The lady said it didn't grind before the clutch. It grinds putting it in to first, if i hold the clutch down for ten seconds it doesn't grind and it doesn't grind putting in any other gear including reverse. My temp solution is to touch 2nd then into first, which is working but annoying. I put 15w-40 diesel oil with no change. I'm guessing synchros idk, maybe its a cheap slave, but wouldn't it grind in all gears? I have read that there is no synchro in first and that there is one. If there is, is it replaceable without setting end play or anything crazy?

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm by no means an expert but the '10-second grinding delay' makes me think air bubble(s) in the lines. I'd try bleeding the clutch really well to rule that out.

·
Registered
629 Posts
are you moving or stopped when going into first (with the grind)? Also, does the stick feel sloppy?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I bled it probably 10 times, pedal feels goodish.
They can be really finicky. Every car seems to be different. How did you bleed? This does sound like air trapped still.

Try reverse bleeding - Ford has the procedure doc, but essentially you remove fluid from the reservoir, and then pressurize and push fluid from the bleeder valve in reverse.

·
Registered
629 Posts
You mentioned that one of your workarounds is to go into second and then go into first. If you need to do that then it could be worn stick shift assembly bushing although that is more of a light thud than a grind.

My MTX-75 grinds a little going into first if not at near dead stop. I had another car that was like that (and one that did not) but I never thought twice about it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts