Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I changed the tranny fluid yesterday I work at a lube shop and we only have 80 90 gl5 so I used that shifted nice until it cooled overnight.... I could get it into second easily at all for a few min. I know ford honey is the best choice and I have been told royal purple syncro max is a great choice also.... Both are 20 a qt at the dealer and the rp is 20 a qt at autozone any cheaper alternatives I can buy that will still provide a very smooth shift? No ATF please!

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Try motor oil, 5w-30 to be exact.
That's what I'm running currently and it shifts the smoothest it ever has. For the last 150,000 miles I've had a problem getting into 3rd at high RPM. But with the motor oil 3rd doesn't grind a bit. Sounds odd I know, but if it works it works.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Flushed the gL5 and replaced with royal purple 7590 max fill synthetic gear oil works really well 3rd still notches a bit maybe a additive to make it a bit thicker?, a little Lucas?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Thicker is the problem.
A thinner fluid allows the syncros to slow faster and not drag.

·
FF Affiliate
31,162 Posts
All I have used in ALL mu customers cars is Syn engine oil , it has been in my cars as well , SVT got this at 150 miles in 2001 and has been nothing else in there sense

Tom

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really Tom just straight up syn 530? But that's in a getrag I have the mtx75

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I have the mtx75 and run motor oil ... and shift @ 8,000rpm with zero 3rd gear grind.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Really I never considered this alternative. How's the gear role sound?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Same as it is with anything else, for me. My trans is pretty loose though. 174,000 of beating the snot out of it and it shows.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts