Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone this is the second time my driver side axle is stuck inside my transmission. The old axle I had too break the axle in half and grind holes into it too pull it out. Is there a trick too getting these axles out????

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
As pbfoot said it must be driven out from the passenger side. You must remove the passenger side axle then use a long flate blade screw driver, drift, etc to rap on the inner end of the drivers axle. Its a bit of a PITA but in many cases it is the only way as the drivers axle retaining ring will not release by pulling on the axle. The passenger side is not too bad to remove (no snap ring - its retained by the axle bearing) assuming the splines on the axle arent seized in the hub or the ball joint isnt seized in the knuckle.

Good luck
Paul

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now a quick question I am pulling the axle out too replace the driver side axle seal. What is the best way too install the axle seal? It keeps popping out almost like it is too big but it is the exact same as the one removed.

·
Registered
333 Posts
you shouldn't need to drive it out from the passenger side. It should release from the internal clip by using a large pry bar or using a slide hammer connected behind the axle. We have wrapped speaker wire behind the axle and hooked it to a 25lb dumbell and gave it a quick jerk and it releases.

·
Registered
172 Posts
2007 5-speed here.....I wedged a large screwdriver into the right hand side (while facing it ) and leveraged it out. Surprisingly I couldn't get it to come out with the aforementioned way via the passenger side with a flat head or drift.

·
FF Affiliate
30,670 Posts
I have taken out over 250 driver axles , remove Pass axle , look in and see the Drivers axle , put something you can hit into the trans and on the axle only , If you can have some one to lightly pry on the drivers side then hit it from inside it will pop right out

To tighten up the seal if its coming loose take something sharp pointed and go around where the seal sits in the trans tapping on the punch making small shallow holes that make slight raised places , use a small amount of silicone on the seal and knock the seal in , this will tighten the seal , I would do it about 25-30 times all the way around

Tom

·
Registered
16,189 Posts
Seal hole is not TOO loose, rather it is tight, he can't get the seal IN.

They are problematic, you need like a socket that is correct OD for the seal and patience, get out of shape with the hammer only simply trying to knock it in like that usually scarfs the seal.

I've yanked the driver axle using only a crowbar way more than once bit it needs to have the correct shape, many don't. The end needs to be such that it can lodge to pry the axle OUTWARD. If it presents at placement to pry the axle sideways more than out then the axle locks harder in place. A simple matter of re-directing the physics there.

·
Registered
172 Posts
On a manual transmission, OTC 308-039 like this one worked perfectly on my MK 1.5. I believe the automatic transmissions require a different type of installer that has a flattened portion rather than a complete circular installer.

If yours is an automatic, you definitely want to confirm that my memory of the installer needing a flattened portion is accurate.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone 1TurboFocus and PBFoot you both really know your stuff! I did the trick with the longest harbor freight flat head screwdriver thru the passenger side axle hole and knocked out the old axle and replaced my old axle seal! Car drives now and the transmission no longer leaks(It's an MTX75 manual 5 speed) Now all I got too do is finish the rest like bolt the upper rad support finish bolting up the EGR pipe too the catalytic converter, replace the oil pan because its dented got a new one with a gasket and replace my bad TPS sensor! This fourms is amazing. Never knew when I bought this car 5-6 months ago that the Focus community has your back! Now my engine swap is almost complete :) Really like the car now with almost 3k worth of new parts on this car it drives like it is brand new.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lol if anyone is wondering the way I got the seal in. I took some brake grease(I know it is all I had) and greased the seal this was just so it would stay in place while I hammered it in. I used an old tow hook I had lying around because it was the perfect square size and just started banging on it like the car owed me money! Bahm it went in perfectly with no leaks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hello everyone this is the second time my driver side axle is stuck inside my transmission. The old axle I had too break the axle in half and grind holes into it too pull it out. Is there a trick too getting these axles out????
I use a 4 pound slam wrench with a yoke I made to slip over the shaft close to the tranny that pulls against the enlarged part of the shaft. It works great and only requires a couple of good taps to break loose the spring clip. You are much less likely to damage your shaft this way if you are planning to reuse it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had the same thing putting in a clutch in my 03-zx3. Carefully centered long drift punch and a light rap popped it right out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If anyone can help I have another cry for help

1 - 16 of 16 Posts