Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Punch from the passanger side or get the slide hammer with the correct attachement.

Edit: If you do the punch be careful of the center bit in the diff. and this assumes you have an open diff. if you have an LSD you cant do this, get the slide hammer.

Reactions: felixthecat

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I would try tapping it out from the passenger side, Ive done this with the trans in the car without issue. Use a ling small diameter drift/screwdriver that fits between the side gears.

Good luck
Paul

·
Registered
15 Posts
+1 I tapped mine out with a screwdriver and a small claw hammer a few weeks ago when I installed a new clutch. It doesn’t take much force. Just be sure your making contact with the axle as mentioned.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I had that problem with mine, but had to get it out at night and the trans was still installed in the car. A slide hammer ultimately worked, but I had to drill holes through the side of the cup to slide a dowel through so I could pull it with the slide hammer. There's a circlip that holds the axle in-place, so don't be afraid to tap it out. What an absolute PITA that was for me.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
you could punch it out from the passenger side if you have the orignal differential. I know it doesnt work with a torsen.
you should be able to pry it out from the drive side. you have to use a sharp motion to overcome the spring clip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts